Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Scratch building SC

Post Thanks / Like

Scratch building SC

I'm new to SuperCub.org and I have to admit, this is a great resource. I am in the planning stages of building a Super Cub PA-18-150. The Super Cub never came with wood wings I believe, but being a woodpecker (carpenter) for 34 years I would like to build them out of wood. I like the looks and superb craftsmanship of Marty Freehanís Wag Aero wings and Roger Petersonís wingís. Will the 2+2 wings work for me with some modifications, adding flaps like Marty Freehanís? I just canít seem to find much info on Rogerís Petersonís; he must not have a web site. I have purchase the PA-18 drawings and CD set from Northland. I canít seem to find any drawings on the tail group; I would like to build instead of buying pre built. As of now I am planning on using the tubing kit from Bushwhacker Aircraft for the fuselage. A little info on the wings and tail group would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Larry, Buggs66 (Christian) also scratched one together. His site is www.supercubproject.com On there you will find all the drawings. I built my tail per the drawings on his site, +1" cord, but they are there. Good luck, and if you really like this site, and want to get the most out of it, donate up. It is worth it

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello there Larry, I too am new to this site, this will be my first post. Been reading for a year or so and just signed up a week ago. Great info here! The 2+2 wing will work perfect with a PA18 fuselage, I built one exactly like that and test flew it in 1997, no flaps,no spoilers and PA22 fuel tanks (would put flaps on if I did it again). It had an O-235 Lycoming for power. Built a set of 1800 Murphy floats and the whole thing weighed 1105 lbs with oil and unusable fuel.... on floats. Worked great! Sold it with about 400hrs on it in 2006 so now I'm building my next creation
    Be careful if you build your tail from the 2+2 plans as there is an error on the drawing...lay out the stab and elevator together to avoid having them miss matched.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, what others said. The drawings are on my site. Northland CD should have the tail group too, so not sure why you didn't find them. Good luck with your project!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Larry,
    First, Welcome Larry to scratch building! From one wood worker to another the answer to your question is yes, the 2+2 wings will work as Super Cub wings. My wings are a hybrid so to speak. Although I have been following the 2+2 drawings, a lot of my references are from the drawings on Bug's site. I adapted the Wag spars for the wood wing tip bow and that pattern was direct from Bug's site also. Needless to say, his site is a great resource and has been (as Bugs has been) very helpful over the build. I am adding flaps to my wing and all the dimensions and layout is direct from the Super Cub. I am making most of those parts also but direct from s.c. drawings. I decided to follow the Wag design of having all the ribs end the same their by having the same cove (false spar) similar to that of the J-3; Bugs did his the same way. The hinges for the flaps and ailerons are J-3 style but you could use S.C. just as well. I am making my false spar out of wood so the J-3 (Wag also) style with the lower brace supports the hinge entirely on the spar rather than some support coming from the cove (false spar). My aileron cable will be entirely inside the wing but easily adapted to the strut if you want to go that rout with a Super Cub fuselage; only cable differences inside the wing. My cable will run along the front spar and it would be just as easy to run up the strut. I haven't looked at the Super Cub fuel tank drawings to see how they compare; I'm building my own so will mock up first. My tanks will have a tube running through for the cross brace; I think that is the same as Super Cub but not sure. Lastly, my flaps and ailerons are wood also; can't imagine using aluminum for those any way. I have drawings for wood ailerons that were given to me and they are identical to Super Cub if you don't want to build them your self. My flaps and ailerons will cost me less than $100 for all four as most of the materials were left over from the rest of the wing build; another +. Kind of a long answer but detail seems beter to me than just a blanket "yes". I am just starting the glue up of my flaps and ailerons and will continue to post pictures of the process. I just posted a bunch showing the flap hinges and hangers with the aileron and flap spars. I also have made CAD drawings of all the parts and the complete wing with dimensions and those are available to other builders (learned that from Bugs also . When I am all finished with the wing (by summer I hope) I'll have a complete "how to" for the wood wings with the flaps and wood wing tip bow. One thing I have learned in the 5+ years on Super Cub.org is that there is a wealth beyond measure of knowledge here and I'm just trying to keep everything I have learned together so I can pass it along. Let me know if I can help beyond what is on my web site.
    Marty57
    N367PS
    Psalm 36:7 "High and low among men find refuge in the shadow of His wing"
    www.marty2plus2.com

Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy the airframe kit here http://cartesiantube.com/Kit_BushCub.html
    Gerry Marcil

Every day spent flying is a great day !

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Buggs you coming over to Puyallup in Feb.? Daves hanger

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DW View Post
    Hey Buggs you coming over to Puyallup in Feb.? Daves hanger
    Yep, that's the plan! What time are the festivities @ Dave's?

Post Thanks / Like
    All day, I'll be there maybe noonish

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all your help, this help alot.