• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Baby Bushwheel on a Cessna 180

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
I am putting a Baby Bushwheel on OKMike's C180 and need to verify prop clearance. Does anyone know how long a prop and size of tires will start getting close to not enough prop clearance? I have to laugh at the new C180 SuperCub.org contingent. They run around in Super Cubs at less than 100 MPH all the time but then get real concerned about loosing speed in their C180 due to drag. :)

DSC_7046.jpg :oops:

Attachments

• DSC_7046.jpg
    DSC_7046.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 358
I am putting a Baby Bushwheel on OKMike's C180 and need to verify prop clearance. Does anyone know how long a prop and size of tires will start getting close to not enough prop clearance? I have to laugh at the new C180 SuperCub.org contingent. They run around in Super Cubs at less than 100 MPH all the time but then get real concerned about loosing speed in their C180 due to drag. :)

View attachment 785 :oops:

That looks like Lous 180...

I have noticed on this site that most folks here have more than 1 plane. They have their SC to play with which they don't care about speed and another for traveling and their traveling plane is a Maule/180/185 type of plane. Some are into Bonanzas and T210s but a lot are into the fixed gear conventional gear types.

I myself believe that everyone should have 2 planes. one for poking around in and another for Point A to Point B traveling.

I have noticed on this site that most folks here have more than 1 plane. They have their SC to play with which they don't care about speed and another for traveling and their traveling plane is a Maule/180/185 type of plane. Some are into Bonanzas and T210s but a lot are into the fixed gear conventional gear types.

I myself believe that everyone should have 2 planes. one for poking around in and another for Point A to Point B traveling.

Unlike women... it is acceptable to have more than one airplane :roll:

The only reason more of them don't have three is they can't afford them :)

baby bushwheel with wheel pants?

baby bushwheel with wheel pants?
No, just messin' with Lou since he is on holiday with his wife and can't defend himself. :)
This is OKMike's C-180.
IMG_3411.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3411.jpg
    IMG_3411.jpg
    838.3 KB · Views: 222
SB

I've got a pair of 8:50's for the mains, what's your guess on mph loss with the baby bushwheel tw and 8:50 mains?

Those are 8:00's on it now in the picture.

SB

I got to meet Tony Turninsky and Frank & Amy Noble a while back, do you know those guys?

That's allright, I'll charge it to Lou

Mobile SteveE, Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor Lou can't defend himself. ;)

You guys crack me up!
905 hasn't worn panties since I brought her home...she may get a "baby" bushwheel this summer for JC.

Kathy and I are having a great time down under. We did a week at the Australian Open in Melbourne and are now driving around New Zealand for 2 weeks. Looks like I will be too broke to attend the Texican Seminar in Graham next month.

G'day mate!

Lou
DSCN1094.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1094.jpg
    DSCN1094.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 187
Looks like thar lady in that pic is slappin the crap outa Lou. Kathy probably positioned him there on purpose. :)

Mobile SteveE, Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 years or so of use and corrosion cause component failures. A Baby Bushwheel won't solve that problem. Big tires open up new territory and usually the airplane takes more abuse as a result. But I agree that 29" Bushwheels are a nice fit for a 180. Besides, I heard of a gearbox failure last year so they must be needed. :)

SB

Stewart, Mike's just stimulating the avaition economy...so if you keep that up ABW may have to make up a special new rate sheet just for you to offset the missed revenue opportunity.

This summer there have been several tail stingers and bulkheads break. I figure less abuse with the BBW.

Must be doing a lot of 3 point landings...:)

Not certain why I keep seeing folks land with all 3 on the ground in the rough stuff. Wheels landings save the stinger and keep the back from getting flat.

It's to keep us mechanics in business. 8) I hear that Baby Bushwheel kit for the Cessna 180 never got installed before the airplane was sold so it is surplus to his needs.

Looks like he needs three, one for each wheel!!!:lol:

SB, You are right on the corrosion issues, but the BBW can help out with some of the wear and fatigue issues also. And the more folks that buy them, the less $$$$ they need to cost to produce...

Back