• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Long term storage for engine parts

flybynite

FOUNDER
Eagan, Minnesota
I have a some new/rebuilt replacement parts for a 290 that I would like to prepare for storage until needed. Any suggestions for prepping before putting the cylinders on the shelf to prevent rust, dust and shop wear? The boxes they came in have fallen apart.

Thanks
Wayne

STP and a plastic bag. Butcher paper works for small parts getting placed into a common box.

I spray LPS3 in the barrels and the intake and exhaust ports and then put them in plastic bags and store in boxes in my heated and airconditioned shop. The LPS3 dries with a waxy coating covering everything.

I used to use the cosmoline that came in an aerosol spray can, works great on parts that need to be put in long term storage. I also use the VCI emitter bags and wrapping papers, depending on what the part is. The VCI emitter bags are also used by a lot of gun owners who use them for long term storage of their guns, etc. You can find a lot of that stuff at this link: http://texastechnologies.com/

I have my O-320 dissasembled stored in the freezer, cold and dry with the carb rebuilt ready to assemble when the fusalage is done. LPS 3 and in plastic bags.

Back