• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

" What a reality check" Pebble Mine revisited

jk

over there
Just heard the new "infomercial" on the Pebble Mine. You know before I was willing to listen to thier arguments for the Pro side, but now they are outright lying through the media.

Young women who says she lives in Illiamna, 12 miles away, says she is going to walk to Bristol Bay just to show us how far away Pebble is from "the waters of Bristol Bay".

So she hikes for one week and covers "120 miles", from the Pebble site. And she says " what a reality check". HUH ????

I live in Fairbanks and have worked as a guide in and around "Pebble", and I know better, but for all those who don't know anything about what they are planning for this area, need to get their own "reality check" by doing about 10mins on line to get to the REAL truth.

These types of ads just gotta piss you off!!

jk

Will Rodgers once said that a gold mine was " A hole in the ground with a liar on top."

Perhaps actually a copper mine with gold as a by product. And deep -the gold is way down.

To be fair, the other side has been less than honest in their efforts to stop even the exploration project. In fact, I would say that they have been more misleading than the developers.

Remember a few years ago, when they were still in mid stages of exploration, and still at least 10 years away from even applying for construction permits, let alone production permits, and the environmental groups were claiming they were proposing to build a tailings dam far taller than the Space Needle?

What about the ad that was run to counter the ad JK mentioned? in that ad they say that the Pebble Mine will "block" (I think that was the word they used, I cannot remember for sure) the major salmon streams??? They must be working with a different DNR, Division of Mines, DEC, Fish and Game, Corps of Engineers, ETC ETC, than I have worked with. That type of stuff really just does not happen much anymore, and when it does...I can assure you that there are an awful lot of safeguards.

We all know that Pebble is located in a very sensitive area (what mine isn't, really??? although Pebble is in a particularly sensitive area)...However, we do also have among the most stringent permitting process in place in the world. I have worked extensively on mine permitting in Alaska, and have to say, that there are problems with all permitting processes and agencies, but the folks at DNR really do know their subject well, and do an excellent job.

Take away message... Both sides are trying to mislead you into their camp. Don't just believe the rhetoric from either side. I would strongly recommend waiting until the Pebble Project actually comes out with a proposal for their plans, and then evaluate that based on the merits of their plan, not on their commercials.

Bill

If you were/are a fishing guide down there, than you know you are already brainwashed....The lodge owners/ guides are the ones putting out all the propaganda....I say, let the people who actually live there (not the seasonal owner/operator/guide types), decide what is good for their area. The people that live there year round. The ones that are not catering to their rich fishing clientele. I'd rather hear their perspective than yours.....

The folks I know that actually have roots out there support responsible development of resources. Northern Dynasty has already spent nearly $150 million on surveys and environmental impact studies. Money talks. The opposition has made an industry out of cute stickers so people can show their support for doing nothing. I've never seen an economy thrive on doing nothing. Welcome to the new Alaska.

SB

Failing empires have that sort of thing going on as the norm; don't worry, it won't be long now......

I too thought the add was low. It conveniently ignored the fact that Pebble is located in an area whose waters flow directly into Bristol bay, through salmon spawning grounds.

As far as responsible development of our resources, we only get one chance to be good stewards of Alaska. Why not learn from others mistakes in the rest of the world? Consider that nearly every open pit mine like Pebble has contaminated its environment, I would hardly call this "responsible development" of our resources. Just because the potential is there, does it mean we must develop it? I don't mean to say we should not develop Pebble, as StewardB said, money talks, but why not wait till it has been proven that it can be mined without sacrificing the surrounding environment?

Just my .02

Last edited:
Pebble

Don't forget, it's not just the one site at Pebble, but also a number of other sites. Pebble is just the biggest and most prominent. The one that woud directly affect us (in the Nushagak) I think is supposed to go in near Kemuk, can't remember the exact location. It is not just the lodges and sports fishing guides, but the people who earn most of their living commercial fishing.

"
StewartB
The folks I know that actually have roots out there support responsible development of resources. Northern Dynasty has already spent nearly $150 million on surveys and environmental impact studies. Money talks. The opposition has made an industry out of cute stickers so people can show their support for doing nothing. I've never seen an economy thrive on doing nothing. Welcome to the new Alaska.

SB
When the Seceratary of the Interior came out he asked for a show of hands for who was against Pebble and who was for. The ONLY person for Pebble was from somewhere on the Aluetian chain. And anyone who has ever commercial fished in Bristol Bay knows that it isn't "nothing." The Sockeye run last year was worth nearly $160 million!!! And thats not considering the good Pink run we had. Not including people buying food, parts and gas for a boat/skiff/truck, paying mechanics or welders, flying on airlines, parking their boat/skiff/truck somewhere, riding in cabs, and etc. Pebble is not worth it, the company isn't even American owned (no offense to the Canadians) and few will profit at the cost of many. Fishing on the other hand is a renewable and managable reasource that encourages the small fry (small pun intended), like myself to try their hand and employ other small fries. I am only trying to give perspective from someone who has a livelyhood to lose in this. I just bought a boat this month, and am fishing my Grandfather's drift permit. My wife fishes with her her family, and has a set net permit I bought from my Grandma. Besides, if I can't fish I will have to find something way more boring to support my flying habits.:???:

Last edited:

X2

How long, as some suggested, should we wait for the rest of the world to try everything before we do it?

If y'all think fishing and tourism can support Alaska (and provide the $$ that eventually works its way around the value chain to support fishing, guiding, hunting, flying, state workers, etc), you've got another think coming.

Off to R&R

I am somewhat new to Alaska and I don't have an opinion yet on the Pebble. I need to start looking into it. I am inclined to side with commercial fisherman on things, so we will see.

Commercial fishing is important, agreed.

So is the caribou, ptarmigan, Rainbow Trout, slow footed tree frog, Boreal Toad, Polar Bear and avgas for my plane.

I fished for many years; just how much Joy soap do the boats go through? (a dispersment folks for oil spills).

truth is, the Pebble folks are still trying to figure out if it can be developed, not when. Seems a bunch of folks, (like Trout Unlimited), all have their panties in a bunch on this because they are convinced that their way of life will be affected, but all are speculating.

Why don't all you folks that are against this without any regard for others trying to make a living, take a trip south to Nevada and check out what 18% unemployment is.

Sorry, I still do not understand why every industry expects the other industries to cease and desist because it may affect them...

Remember, the pipeline was going to destroy the northern caribou.

When they decide that it can or can not be done, then is the time to get busy. I bet they will be cleaner than the fishing industry is, just check out the junk on all the beaches from boats some time.... ug.

Let them mine ! i'm sure Pebble's not going to do anymore damage than "Limited Entry" Has done to commerciel fishing in this state!
Steve C

Totally agree! I live in Rural Alaska. EVERYONE lives off transfer payments. Even I do and I am self employed. There is NO economy. Just a few dollars here and there. The money comes in from Federal and State disbursements and then is filtered to everyone else.

Give it a chance. If nothing else, the exploration dollars are some sort of industry.

When you GIVE a person money, they don't get any satisfaction or self determination. When they EARN their money they get all of those things and more. Why the hell do you think the biggest injury killer in Alaska is SUICIDE???

Problem is that, unfortunately, all of Alaska is controlled by public opinion from the lower 48. In this day and age the pipeline would never have come to fruition. Too many armchair environmentalists sitting in their living rooms in the States that have never even seen a G** D*** caribou, or tundra. But their opinion seems to be more important than those of us out here that need the jobs and the benefits that come with them.

They also don't understand that WE will be the first ones to know if they are screwing up. I agree with AKTANGO-- I bet it will be far cleaner than many of the other things that are allowed to happen.

Course, what do I know-- I've only been out here my entire life. And what kind of idiot would live out here (I've been asked)

I could not agree more with the last three coments. I too have lived here all my life, I have seen the ups and downs. I could not even imagine how the economy in the interior would be without the Ft. Knox and POGO mine. Reports show that for every person employed at Ft.Knox it creates five service jobs in town.

Back