• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Landes Ski Even on the Right

On Patrol

BENEFACTOR
Wentworth NH" The WAD" NH96
I was just coming up from the hangar and I have put on the skis but need to finish in the morning. I believe they are supposed to toe out so I have more fiberglass bushing showing out board. I remember somewhere in my memory banks that Vicki told me that the even number -2 ski is on the right. Can someone confirm.

By the way got the Aluminum brake saver insert from the Boys in Montana. Works out great by retaining the caliper and the brakes. Good $40 spent.
Thanks
John:smile:

I was just coming up from the hangar and I have put on the skis but need to finish in the morning. I believe they are supposed to toe out so I have more fiberglass bushing showing out board. I remember somewhere in my memory banks that Vicki told me that the even number -2 ski is on the right. Can someone confirm.

By the way got the Aluminum brake saver insert from the Boys in Montana. Works out great by retaining the caliper and the brakes. Good $40 spent.
Thanks
John:smile:

If they're Landes 2000's or 2500's they are canted (pedestal bushing) for left / right. Not sure what you mean by toe out?

The "cant" in the pedestal bushing is set so the skis put more pressure on the inside edge and pull the outside edge of the ski up. They basically set about flat with weight on the gear.

Take care,

Crash

Are you sure? I thought they were canted to load more weight on the outside edge.

SB

Cant, at least on a set of Federals, is so with landing gear tucked the ski lands flat so that it doesn't catch the outside edge.

Are you sure? I thought they were canted to load more weight on the outside edge.

SB

You could install them that way.... I've seen it done and man the plane turned sharp. Looked kind of weird also.

Slide it sideways though, catch a piece of ice, and you're in for a complete overhaul. Atlee Dodge safety cables do nothing for an inside (folded under the plane) collapsed gear.

Crash

We're probably describing the same installation. If I look at my Airglas skis from the front the bushing is higher off the ground on the inside and lower to the ground on the outside. That matches the axle tilt on a Cessna at rest but in my 180's case I'm still loaded on the outside edge. My skis have had Novak brakes on them for so long I haven't looked at the bushing tilt to identify right from left for a bunch of years.

SB

Last edited:
The dash one is on the left, the dash two is on the right. There is also a hole in the pedestal on the inboard side just below the axle, if you can't read the numbers anymore. If you have questions call Landes they are always helpful to me.

Last edited:
Yep, Odd serial number on the left and even number on the right from the cockpit view. But the bronze bushings should only allow one way installation unless some where, once upon a time somebody screwed this up!

We need more snow and are about 20" behind schedule. :(

Thanks,
I will check the hole and I am sure I have Odd on left even on right. Never thought about the bushings though but if memory serves me there should be an 1/8 difference. Just so I have it the cant is to ensure the inner part of the ski has more pressure. This is solely not to have the outer with more pressure.
Thanks Again for the help.
John

Next time someone is at the WAD check and see if there are magic marker LH and RH on John's skis so he doesn't put them on backwards next year. :lol:

Nothing wrong with labels if they make life easier. Try hooking up hydraulic ski in and out lines backwards a few times. Labels make good sense!

SB

Back