Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cowling Winter kit for good engine temp

Post Thanks / Like

Cowling Winter kit for good engine temp

Last winter I was flying with duck tape to block half of air inlet and half of oil cooler. But now I have a nice CubCrafters split cowling.

Did some search and didn't found.

Would like to see how some of you guys do it to keep good CHT and good Oil Temp.

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume you have rear mount oil cooler? The only way I could get my oil temp up to good number was to 100% block oil cooler. Now life is good. I made a simple removeable plate from aluminum that bolts to the extra holes in the cooler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, rear cooler. Today I made 2 for the cooler. One half blocked and one full from silicone for baffle and snap like used on clothing.

But should I partly block the 2 big holes in front of the cowling for good CHT temps?? I don't see any way blocking it without drilling more holes in the cowling....

Post Thanks / Like
    Salut Olibuilt, how have you made out with your blocking of the 2 holes in front of your cylinders??? I've completely covered the oil cooler with tape, but have not done anything for the 2 large holes.... Have not flown yet in colder than -10C and my CHT stays around 340. Just wondering if I should think about also restricting the air to the cylinders as we move to colder temps?? Welcoming comments from the experts.... How is it handled in Alaska ???

Thanks,

Karl
    Last edited by Ouapetec; 12-29-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Colored duct tape matches the cowl color, is easily adjusted or removed.

some on inside by spinner, some on outside for head cooling.

Otherwise, holes, rivnuts or nutplates on cowl and make plates with slots to allow air in.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Many moons ago, I had a setup like George just described on a Cub in Fairbanks. The (at the time) Chief Tech Rep for Lycoming was in town for some meeting. I had met him before and we were at the airport. He looked at my "ad lib" cowl mods and suggested in the strongest of terms that this was a really bad idea. His point was that, if you're going to block air movement through a cowling, it should ALWAYS be blocked at the AFT or outlet side to reduce flow. His concern was that the duct tape in front would cause turbulent flow of air going to the engine, and COULD cause hot spots in cylinders. He said he didn't have any hard evidence of that, but he knows a LOT more about these engines than I ever will.

Now, if you were to block off those big CHEEK cowl openings, for example, on the back end of the cowling sides......that MIGHT increase your oil temperature some as well.....not that I have any documented evidence of that, of course..........

I have HEARD that with the CC cowl, you can get oil temps of 195 F on a -10 F day with a set of those baffles installed and the oil cooler blocked off completely.

Paint em flat black. Installed with rivnuts installed in firewall and machine screws. Rubber gasket on outside edge where it meets cowl doors.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I see, different recipes for different people. MTV, what you mention makes sense, at the same time George's 2nd. recipe also makes sense, it is being done on Cessna's and probably other types. I'd be curious to hear what Olibuilt went for, if he went for some front cowl restricting method.......

Thank you aktango58 and MTV for your input, much appreciated.

Karl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Many moons ago, I had a setup like George just described on a Cub in Fairbanks. The (at the time) Chief Tech Rep for Lycoming was in town for some meeting. I had met him before and we were at the airport. He looked at my "ad lib" cowl mods and suggested in the strongest of terms that this was a really bad idea. His point was that, if you're going to block air movement through a cowling, it should ALWAYS be blocked at the AFT or outlet side to reduce flow. His concern was that the duct tape in front would cause turbulent flow of air going to the engine, and COULD cause hot spots in cylinders. He said he didn't have any hard evidence of that, but he knows a LOT more about these engines than I ever will.

Now, if you were to block off those big CHEEK cowl openings, for example, on the back end of the cowling sides......that MIGHT increase your oil temperature some as well.....not that I have any documented evidence of that, of course..........

I have HEARD that with the CC cowl, you can get oil temps of 195 F on a -10 F day with a set of those baffles installed and the oil cooler blocked off completely.

Paint em flat black. Installed with rivnuts installed in firewall and machine screws. Rubber gasket on outside edge where it meets cowl doors.

MTV
    Mike, having just flown up to Park Rapids on a brisk afternoon, Julie has become acutely interested in things to keep the oil temp (cabin heat) elevated...

Yeah, I have the rear seat heat Atlee Dodge mod and it helps greatly, but it isn't quite enough.

Darrel Starr made a set of plates to block off the rear side of the oil cooler (rear mounted oil cooler), and it helps, but those "big CHEEK" baffles sound like the cat's meow. Anyone have photos of those?

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the oil cooler covers; takes just one #10 bolt. I, so far, have used only the 100% cover. Probably never will use the others.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060689.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	350.5 KB 
ID:	9727

Name:	P1060697.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	523.0 KB 
ID:	9728

Name:	P1060710.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	683.6 KB 
ID:	9729
    These were covers I made for our SC. Later Randy wanted one to cover his cooler. But he has a slightly different cooler on which a thicker flat plate works well. I had some thicker aluminum just right for the application but a little bit too scratched to polish. So I finished the surface with a Scotch Brite pad. He looked at my polished cover and his rougher finished one and said "Guess I got the HMO version".

Post Thanks / Like

The oil cooler block off, does it matter front or rear of cooler?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Good question, have not tried to block the front.

Post Thanks / Like

We put them on the front on the citabria's, they have been doing that for years, it would seem that, with it in the front would block off all airflow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouapetec View Post
    Salut Olibuilt, how have you made out with your blocking of the 2 holes in front of your cylinders??? I've completely covered the oil cooler with tape, but have not done anything for the 2 large holes.... Have not flown yet in colder than -10C and my CHT stays around 340. Just wondering if I should think about also restricting the air to the cylinders as we move to colder temps?? Welcoming comments from the experts.... How is it handled in Alaska ???

Thanks,

Karl
    340 degrees is good. Don't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Starr View Post
    Good question, have not tried to block the front.
    Mine is a rear mounted oil cooler. I had better results by blocking the front, tried both.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    My airplanes have always maintained pretty consistent CHTs whether winter or summer. Oil temps, not so much. I block oil coolers with tape on the front side. I've always used regular duct tape but the adhesive starts to accumulate after a few years so I've switched to foil tape. I'm not the least bit concerned with it being visible so I make no attempt to hide it. If I was still flying a Cub I'd use an adjustable oil cooler door from Dan's Aircraft in Anchorage. It's made for Cubs by guys who build Cubs. Adjust your oil cooler flow with a push/pull knob on the panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra bravo View Post
    If I was still flying a Cub I'd use an adjustable oil cooler door from Dan's Aircraft in Anchorage. It's made for Cubs by guys who build Cubs. Adjust your oil cooler flow with a push/pull knob on the panel.
    Now, That is a good idea. Does it completely uncover the cooler when it is open?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Essentially, yes. Van's (the RV guys) also makes an adjustable oil cooler door. There are guys on this site that have these doors installed. Maybe they'll post some pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I'm curious. Do any of you guys who cover your oil cooler use a vernatherm valve? I used to cover too but once I installed the valve the oil temp goes up to 165 in the winter and 175 in warm weather and stays right there.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for reference, at 20f air temp & 2500 rpm, I get 310f CHT & 170f oil temp with EGT leaned to 1280f (#1) to 1350f ( the other 3).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,
    This is a good discussion this time of year. I have an O-235 in my super cub. It does not have an oil cooler but it does have a remote screw on oil filter that acts a little like an oil cooler. While flying yesterday the outside air temps were at about 5F and my oil temp struggled to get above 150F and more like 145F. My cowling has holes already drilled to partially cover the two front cowling openings, which I had planned on using prior to MTV's post on poor airflow causing hot spots on the cylinders. Anyone else have thoughts on this theory?
    Sawyer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 105special View Post
    Hi All, ...My cowling has holes already drilled to partially cover the two front cowling openings, which I had planned on using prior to MTV's post on poor airflow causing hot spots on the cylinders. Anyone else have thoughts on this theory?
    Sawyer
    I agree with Mike and the tech rep. Some airplanes have cowl flaps just for the purpose of regulating cylinder temps. Once I put the Cessna supplied intake covers on my 185 when the ambient temperatures were low in the prescribed range. The head temps ran so high that I took them off at my first stop before I went back home.
    N1PA