• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Check That Muffler

Thanks, that is good to know. I'm getting to where I don't want to fly below single digits...

Flown around zero, heat was good, the drafts from the door and window were not. I need to make some kind of deflector, as one foot is on fire while the other is frozen.

Order a scat hose flange from Spruce and unstall it behind the trim ring for the heater box (on the inside of the firewall). It will stick out about 1.5-2" and works as a straitening vane. Works wonders and you can add a short piece of hose if you need/want more.

I didn't notice any difference with an all new installation... I'm in Oklahoma but did fly it in high single digit temps and it worked well.

I got to the point with mine I would take the scat off the heat box in the summer because it was so hot. Winter here, never had an issue, lots of heat.

Same problem here with stock (nicocraft) muffler. Did only get 2200static. Had to cut it open to see how the inside looked like. As you can see in one of the pictures, the muffler bail has come loose and slipped down the tailpipe long enough not to do its job..
replaced with used serviceable stock muffler due to shortage from aircraft spruce..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 225
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    794 KB · Views: 247
.. the muffler bail has come loose and slipped down the tailpipe long enough not to do its job..

wow, they forgot to weld the bail in???? bad on them!

since you are buying consider, a hot rod Atlee muffler/shroud kit/STC..

http://www.fadodge.com/index.php?option=com_djcatalog2&view=item&id=48%3Ahot-rod-muffler&cid=6%3Aexhaustsystem&Itemid=53

AVERAGE RPM INCREASE IS 30-65 RPM
- MOST AIRCRAFT HAVE A SLIGHT RATE OF CLIMB INCREASE
- EGT SLIGHTLY LOWER
- OIL TEMP SLIGHTLY LOWER
- NO MODIFICATIONS TO COWLING OR STACKS ARE NEEDED
- FAA DIRECT REPLACEMENT
- NO A.D. NOTE MUFFLER COMES WITH FAA LETTER STATING MUFFLER
IS AN ALTERNATIVE MEANS OF COMPLIANCE TO THE A.D.
- SOUND SLIGHTLY LOUDER/DEEPER
- 2 PIECE SHROUD-TAILPIPE CLAMP-TAILPIPE SUPPORT ROD ALL INCLUDED

Well, the welds for the bails is present. Must have chaken loose or something. Next time I have a look at the muffler I will pull the bail out and look for evidence of welds.
yes, for my project I will consider the FA dodge muffler. This was on dad's cub.

It looks like the bail is in the tail pipe...maybe mounted flush or below opening. Needs to be slightly above opening to prevent blockage. How much time was on this muffler?

New Cub Crafters Top Cubs with 281 hrs are not immune to muffler breakage either.
Exhaust 3.jpg

Attachments

• Exhaust 3.jpg
    Exhaust 3.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 2,411
It looks like the bail is in the tail pipe...maybe mounted flush or below opening. Needs to be slightly above opening to prevent blockage. How much time was on this muffler?

I had a look at the bail today. It was welded WELL below the upper end of the tailpipe! This would be a report to the authorities! The person welding this piece in clearly have no idea what it's there for.. Do you have a reporting function in FAA on material flaws like this? We have that system in Sweden. In this, and many other cases, a Form 8130 or our european form 1 is worth nothing..

We have the M & D reports... I would call the manufacturer and let them know what you found.

Found out that Univair builds the mufflers for Cub Crafters Top Cubs. They have found an issue on the 180 hp mufflers and come out with a fix.
Original end cap.
Univair End Cap.JPG

Redesigned end cap.
Univair Improved End Cap.JPG

Attachments

• Univair End Cap.JPG
    Univair End Cap.JPG
    519.1 KB · Views: 2,388
  • Univair Improved End Cap.JPG
    Univair Improved End Cap.JPG
    514.8 KB · Views: 2,328
I had a look at the bail today. It was welded WELL below the upper end of the tailpipe! This would be a report to the authorities! The person welding this piece in clearly have no idea what it's there for.. Do you have a reporting function in FAA on material flaws like this? We have that system in Sweden. In this, and many other cases, a Form 8130 or our european form 1 is worth nothing..

or did some one buy the bail separate and weld it in(wrong) not the manufacturer (it's an add on item, thats kinda a standard item now...)

Also found out that the Atlee Dodge Heavy Duty muffler that does away with the AD is 1.8 lbs heavier than stock because it is made of heavier material to eliminate issues like these.

The one that broke after 280 hours was the original style univair muffler.

8fc29b0af91561a6b9eb74636569c2a5.jpg

Here is the one off the top cub
e19ba81e7d4caf0ea37e4cbdb592244e.jpg

Last edited:
I have a hole pile of good used univair muffs.I would run them 1000 hrs about three years then replace because my IA thought the AD started at 1000hrs glad I didn't check .but since I have been using Atlee Dodge heavy duty and never had one fail but the highest time one is about 5years and 1200 hours.Mike is wright about alinement,its easy for me I live near Dawely muf.can drive out and have it all fitted. One thing about the heavy duty can't bump them out. must have pipes fitted to muff.make them fit tight only good way is on fixture then alinement will be right. but to send it out could be costy and timely.but if you want min blown by at muff this the only way,is funny all the 1000hr muffs have no worpage in the tubes Univair makes a good muf but if your flying them 300-400 hrs ayear that AD is a pain.

OK, so you are thinking the outlet pipes are misaligned and putting the muffler end in a bind. That makes sense. We will install without the muffler and see what it looks like. Thanks.

I'm sure Univair or cub crafters will come through for your customer since it's such a low time unit. If they don't, I'd say flame them. Obviously the modification is an admitition of a faulty product. Do you think these companies produce products that put people's lives in danger on purpose for the all mighty (or weak) dollar? If so, perhaps we should choose, more wisely which aircraft we buy and which product may be placed on said aircraft. This sounds like a life threatening, expensive, load of sh&@!!!!! Perhaps that's what these companies are????

OK, so you are thinking the outlet pipes are misaligned and putting the muffler end in a bind. That makes sense. We will install without the muffler and see what it looks like. Thanks.
Steve along this train of thought. Have any of the cylinder exhaust ports been machined down to clean up erosion from a leaky gasket? If so this will throw the alignment of the pipes out of whack and could be the cause of the cracking. I've seen this happen in just one trip around the traffic pattern.

No Pete, checked alignment and perfect. The engine has 280 hrs since factory new as does the airplane. Saw another one break the header pipe at a weld on a Top Cub with 360 hrs on it while flying back from Oshkosh a few years ago. We look these things over with a fine tooth comb but don't expect to find these kinds of issues on such low time airplanes. These can lead to catastrophic failures with huge consequences so please be diligent in your preflight.

Steve, any insite on if these aircraft were operated to avoid the plackarded RPM avoid band? Never really researched it but was under the impression it was related to vibration.

With Lycoming Engine Models O-360-C4P or O-360-C1G:
1 Sensenich Propeller Manufacturing Company Model 76EM8, Propeller Type Certificate P4EA.
Operation between 2150 and 2350 RPM restricted to transient operation only with O-360-C1G.

I would hope both pilots followed the placards installed. The muffler pictured above was only operated with the Sensenich for less than the first 100 hours.

Another Univair muffler with 200 hours. 160 hp.
20150510_132214.jpg

Attachments

• 20150510_132214.jpg
    20150510_132214.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 2,123
Last edited:
I don't think there are any restrictions placarded or in the POH regarding RPM and the C4P, on a Top Cub. I know there is on the other engine offered by CC for that airplane, but not the C4P.

I recieved my new nicocraft (wallcolmonoy) muffler yesterday. Bought it from aircraftspruce. The muffler bale is welded in too low in this tailpipe aswell... Does not even enter the muffler body..
seems as all nicocraft muffler bales is welded the wrong way. The old muffler is at least 10 years old.
money back possible?

Back