Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Check That Muffler

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks mike mcs repair, DavePA11 thanked for this post
    Likes Cubswede liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Why I hang out here, though I fly behind a Rotax 912S...... you guys have a lot of fleet knowledge helpful to even a non Cub flier.

I currently have 2340 hours on my muffler, with zero issues, BUT, this thread will make me check things over more often, and "more better." Original heat muff also.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the exhaust system is almost allways in the need for a little "fix" here and there at every annual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can the stock muffler be pulled out without swinging the engine?

Post Thanks / Like
    No

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    Why I hang out here, though I fly behind a Rotax 912S...... you guys have a lot of fleet knowledge helpful to even a non Cub flier.

I currently have 2340 hours on my muffler, with zero issues, BUT, this thread will make me check things over more often, and "more better." Original heat muff also.
    Ha, I forgot about this..... At 2600 hours, I started hearing a rattling sound, turned out my muffler had shed it internals, thus the noise. A simple fix (new muffler, though in retrospect I could have repaired the old one with what I know now, the stainless can was fine, just the baffles needed replacing), and the heat muff was still pristine so I put it back on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tailpipe is welded to the muffler. Not hard to swing the engine. Should just take loosening the tach cable and removing the two right side engine mount bolts at the firewall.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    Ha, I forgot about this..... At 2600 hours, I started hearing a rattling sound, turned out my muffler had shed it internals, thus the noise. A simple fix (new muffler, though in retrospect I could have repaired the old one with what I know now, the stainless can was fine, just the baffles needed replacing), and the heat muff was still pristine so I put it back on.
    Do you still have that Swiss muffler? That seemed pretty neat.

Post Thanks / Like
    After about 1700 hours the internal stainless mesh that holds back the muffler packing loosened up a bit, so instead of a perfect cylinder it was possibly contributing to excessive back pressure, so I took it off the other day. It goes off and on in about 3 or 4 minutes, real simple. Previous static RPM tests showed no discernable difference in power. 6 pounds including mount hardware though, back to the stock in cowl Rotax muffler now, for the time being at least.
    Likes RVBottomly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Suziki, Yamaha, Honda, BMW, and other motorcycles have offered variable exhaust valve flappers for years....EXUP valves Some's for noise reduction but the main reason is adding or subtracting exhaust back pressure which can fill in engine torque dips at certain rpm's. I always wanted to try a manual valve in a common pipe collector to see if there's anything to be gained in a free flowing system at partial throttle.

Gary