• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying Wild Alaska TV Series

Yup, they were flying around a lot with some of my buds from the competitor air taxi out of Nome this past summer/fall. I am happy we didn't have to deal with production crew over on our side of the ramp. Should be pretty entertaining.

They did some filming with the crews in Kotzebue also. It will be fun to see what they do with the show. Maybe, just maybe they will have my voice in the show. I will be in this coming season's Alaska State Troopers. I am the old guy with the red vest on briefing the young trooper. No, I ain't Santa. Don't know when that is supposed to start. I was in the last episode of Sarah Palin's show but because it is so close to Christmas they cut that part out where we went hunting for reindeer. I do have a still of that from the show.

30c2c75a5221af5c84a1bf82df44b3f7_8467.jpg

Last edited:
Torch, where is Sara's other hand? Why are you both grinning like that?

So is this the TV Show with the producers who were trying to wrangle up some dangerous acting & risk taking bush pilots to make the show exciting?

I hope it is a more accurate portrayal than that of the "Gold Rush: Alaska" series. Then again, ratings are everything in that game...the more drama the better.

gb

I hope it is a more accurate portrayal than that of the "Gold Rush: Alaska" series. Then again, ratings are everything in that game...the more drama the better.

gb

I can't imagine what you are talking about gb. They actually had a bear come into their camp, and eat a bag of their cookies, didn't they?

Looks like they will be flying out of UNK? The gal on the forklift that P bombed the IRT looks familiar, I think she works the UNK terminal.

They did some filming with the crews in Kotzebue also. It will be fun to see what they do with the show. Maybe, just maybe they will have my voice in the show.

Were you in OTZ this past week? I was up there several days with the CASA...probably be back a bunch of times before Christmas.

Bill

When did Cape Smythe, Hageland's, Frontier all become part of Era? Jeez, leave for a year or two and the whole place goes to hell.

Gump

just saw the promo...

"Ice road truckers are a bunch of beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppp!!!"

Looks like it could be fun!! :lol:

joint effort

I think they all fly under ERA Alaska. ERA was the last acquisition by Frontier I believe. The nice thing is they fly to over 100 communities so you only have to make one call.

Frontier bought out Smythe around 2005, and then merged with Hageland around 2007, I think it was the spring of 2009, they merged with ERA. With each merger, it seems they changed their name :Frontier, Frontier Alaska, Era Alaska...I am not sure what they are called now, but they use the ERA call sign most of the time

Were you in OTZ this past week? I was up there several days with the CASA...probably be back a bunch of times before Christmas.

Bill

Bill I just left OTZ this morning. I will be back there working next Tuesday morning. I talk to that Bering CASA a bunch. There is some serious trash haulin goin on in OTZ these days. Came out of a USAF HC 130 unit where C130's were called trash haulers. CASA kinda fits that bill too. Were you flying with Stan Morgan or Larry Eggert (sp)? I talked to both crews. I always have good coffee in the pot in the FSS. Stop by next time when I am there. Get Mike Allen to bring you over. We are such a good group of people that we even let him come in the facility.

Last edited:
Gal on the forklift...

Looks like they will be flying out of UNK? The gal on the forklift that P bombed the IRT looks familiar, I think she works the UNK terminal.

That's Ferno Tweeto, She's been in bush aviation since she was a little girl along with the rest of their family. Her brother is Boyuk Ryan, one of the the best pilots I ever flew with. Their Dad ran a 135 outfit out of Unalakleet for many years and then Boyuk took it over and built up Ryan Air, later to become Alaska Air Transit, "ATS" and now renamed to Ryan Air again.

Jim and Ferno went off on their own with Mike Hagland have built an airline by hard work and by acquiring others, when opportunity allowed. They have earned everything that has come their way by treating their employees and customers well and fairly.

Hard to say what the producers will make of it, but they picked one of the most deserving families in Alaska aviation to base their show on.

Last edited:
getting some water, from the pre-view slide show.

flying-wild-alaska.jpg

Attachments

• flying-wild-alaska.jpg
    flying-wild-alaska.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 2,288
I agree. Great family. I got the opportunity to fly under Jim and Fern in Unalakleet. Lived there a year. That family is awesome and generous. I wish them luck. It should be a great show with some great pilots doing some cool flying. It is hard to understand how hard it is to fly out there for a living. Fern's right. Ice Road Truckers is good but this show will be better. (My words).

Finally saw a preview and I am giddy like a little kid to see it. Maybe I can finally convince the wife to move...

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Boy I can't wait for this one... maybe they will get the engine sounds right with the turbine vs. the piston like they have on Palin Live.....

Boy I can't wait for this one... maybe they will get the engine sounds right with the turbine vs. the piston like they have on Palin Live.....
And you won't have to listen to here Damn squeaky voice.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

I also wish the Twetos well. However, should the program include a script of unecessary screaming, hollering and throwing stuff to create drama, then I won't watch it. These reality shows irritate me because they show the crews e.g. fishing, logging, trucking, shop, as totally disfunctional back stabbing people. If people worked the way they are depicted on these shows then no task would be completed and no money made. I apologize for the rant. Merry Christmas to all and a prosperous New Year!!
Pete

Back