• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Skiis and brakes

jimboflying

When I removed my wheels and rotors to place my skiis on I always had the brake calipers to deal with. The options were to remove them or some how hold them in place. I didn't like removing them because then the system would have to be bleed when they were replaced. If you left them in place and accidentally hit the brake pedals then the pistons would be blown out. So I came up with the idea to build a brake rotor replacement to allow the calipers to stay in their normal position and support the pistons. I made some extras if anyone else needs them. I can't seem to get a picture posted.

Atlee has been selling little "gizmos" that do just that for years. Would like to see what yours look like.

RD

A lot of the guys up in Montana just use a 1/4 inch piece of plywood cut out and zip tie it in there so if you hit the brakes the rotor cant move but just a hair before it hits the plywood.

I retried the picture post. It said it uploaded but did not post in the message. I did post a picture in classifieds however.

I take the brakes off. Tired the other way with little spacers made out of HMWB(?) plastic. If you take the brakes off, it lets you get the brakes cleaned up and ready for spring wheels. Not a big thing to bleed brakes. Tie wrap the lines off at the axle cluster. If you leave them on, it is just something to snag, get frozen up, and you might fall on your a$$ if you step on them. Don't ask how I know this.

Not sure of the rules in the USA .. but in Canada the owner can re and re skis/wheels as long as there isn't any hydraulic seperation. Those need to be signed off by an licenced aircraft mechanic. Always common to see a wood block between the pads and something retaining same and the caliper to the torque plate.. or with "J3" drum brakes a big gear clamp.

My first post on the new website system.

Long ago I tired of going to look for the Atlee Dodge aluminum "false rotor".

What I do is cut a nice "hunk" out of 3/8" conveyor belt rubber and it acts as a spacer AND "self-joggles" around the torque plate and acts as a retainer. I'll find a photo......uber simple for those guys who aren't allowed to take their brake calipers off. (in the United States of America hydraulic lines cannot be broken or connected unless performed by at least an "airframe" rated mechanic, just like Wayne said about Canada). D

Here are some pictures at a lower resolution.

Attachments

• P1020237.jpg
    P1020237.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
  • P1020229.jpg
    P1020229.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 99
Here are some pictures at a lower resolution.

neat, but about what atlee's? looks like, except inner piece is not curved, just a small strait tab if I remember right....

I have those great ideas too, only to find out they been done... grrrrr!!!

think its this maybe? (no pictures)
Ski Plates various VA1013 $20.00

Last edited:
My first post on the new website system.

(in the United States of America hydraulic lines cannot be broken or connected unless performed by at least an "airframe" rated mechanic, just like Wayne said about Canada). D

Dave ... I had to ask.. is that as opposed to Alaska where anything is possible:wink:

Back