• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My Super CHUB!

If the yellow Super Cub was at BDU around 11:00 I bet I know who it was ;-)... Congratulations on the Chub Brandon, I should have stuck around CO12 a bit longer...Can't wait to see it in action :)

Ya that's about right. Around the same time a Maule with bushtires stopped by too. I kept peering up from the C-45 when I could.

I was up at Boulder yesterday working on the C-45, saw a bright yellow Cub and was wondering if it was you, until I got a better look and knew it wasn't your CHUB.

Do you know Tom Edwards? I sure you do as he fly's the C-45. I work with Tom at Frontier and he is a neighbor at Van Aire. I love the Beech-18. one day maybe. Trade out my 310 if Gas does not continue to get out control.

Brandon

Do you know Tom Edwards? I sure you do as he fly's the C-45. I work with Tom at Frontier and he is a neighbor at Van Aire. I love the Beech-18. one day maybe. Trade out my 310 if Gas does not continue to get out control.

Brandon

Haven't met him yet. I'm a new guy with them, their newest mechanic.

I got my second flight on the Chub today. It has been windy as hell around Colorado the last few days. Wen't through a stall series with no surprises. Flaps a a little firm to pull at anything above 75. I have not installed flap gap seals yet. I hear that they really make a difference???? I will pick up some material tomorrow to make them. 2.1 hrs TT so far and cant wait for the next.

Just put in the barn after the second flight!!

IMG_0581.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    640.5 KB · Views: 416
Superchub;
What kind of numbers is the plane posting? Cruise speed, stall, takeoff/landing rolls single PIC, at gross? Balanced, trim? Getting ready to start a 2+2, curious.

If the wind ever quits blowing I could get some more time on it. I got 5.5 hrs. so far. I have started to play with it a little and in Denver at 6500 Density ALT. TO roll is about 180FT no wind. I was able to land stop and TO doing stop and goes using a total of 600 ft or runway measured form the end. I live on an airpark so this is easy to measure. This was not at gross however about 30 gallons of gas and me. Cruise with the same load is about 125-130 MPH true at 21 inchs and 2350 RPM. Again, hard to get good number as it has been bumpy and less than ideal conditions. I am forward in the CG range as flown so far but I built it that way as to be able to load up the back and still have a CG margin. SO far I love the thing. I am no match as to the tallent in a cub on this forum but I do have a few hours in over 100 different types and about 6K Tail wheel. Based on the results this far I am getting what I had hoped for in the end at the start. NO VG's yet gap seals and so on so I am very pleased. I feel that a Super CUB is a perfect airplane just the way it is. By no means am I trying to re-invent the wheel but I just don't fit well in a Super Cub. I am 6' 5" and 250 and I built this to fit me.

Brandon

IMG_0618.JPG
31" Bushwheels!!! Yea! NOW I must learn how to use in a wise manner. I got about 18hrs on it so far with no major problems. I did some acro in it the other day and it will sure do a small loop!! I forget how fun it is to fly slow and how fast the pitch and turn rate is when flying so slow...

Any opinions on landing in the Grass next to the pavement? FAA? Legal? anybody ever had any problems with airport managers??

Attachments

• IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0618.JPG
    689.3 KB · Views: 462
Hey Brandon this is Will Hash(F9-FO) Come on down to Everitt if your looking for some grass to play in.

View attachment 2027
31" Bushwheels!!! Yea! NOW I must learn how to use in a wise manner. I got about 18hrs on it so far with no major problems. I did some acro in it the other day and it will sure do a small loop!! I forget how fun it is to fly slow and how fast the pitch and turn rate is when flying so slow...

Any opinions on landing in the Grass next to the pavement? FAA? Legal? anybody ever had any problems with airport managers??

I do it all the time at my airport.If it were me i'd check the area you want to use and just go for it. the manager probably isn't looking at you when you depart and land. It's not illegal. It may be agaisnt the policy of your airport.

I do it all the time at my airport.If it were me i'd check the area you want to use and just go for it. the manager probably isn't looking at you when you depart and land. It's not illegal. It may be agaisnt the policy of your airport.

I am at an Air park, SO at home it's no problem. I was just wondering on cross country's or flying at other local airports what people may have encountered or if any body ever had any problems. I talked with the DEN FSDO and they have no problem with it they stated that it was up to the Airport and any local laws but there was no regulations as to where you land.

Brandon

Hey Brandon this is Will Hash(F9-FO) Come on down to Everitt if your looking for some grass to play in.

Will, I plan on it. I am having some transponder issues, I'm having a hard time getting it fixed. I hope to come down and see your Vagabond project. Are you getting any closer to covering it??

Brandon

DSC_0059.JPGDSC_0068.jpg

Love these tires!!! I now know why everybody has them!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0059.JPG
    DSC_0059.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 385
  • DSC_0068.jpg
    DSC_0068.jpg
    873.8 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
I land in the grass beside the hard serface all the time at my airport. It is best to talk to the airport mgr. and get his blessings. Otherwise some jerk will conplain. Your SC looks great. Enjoy, I finished mine a couple of years ago. Nothing like it when you build it yourself.
PR

Each year attendees at AirVenture vote with their feet and bestow on certain airplanes what is unofficially known as the "Dead Grass Award." It is obvious who the winners are based on the patterns in the grass around certain airplanes. This year, the voting was done virtually by tabulating which aircraft garnered the most interests by online readers.

Virtual Voting??? By online readers??? What's next, Virtual Airventure? That ought to boost those attendance figures...

Hey Brandon I have the wings and tail covered and as soon as I blow some paint on the fuselage i'll cover it. I hope they quit working me so I can get it done....damn job is cutting into my free time!

Hey Brandon I have the wings and tail covered and as soon as I blow some paint on the fuselage i'll cover it. I hope they quit working me so I can get it done....damn job is cutting into my free time!

I hear ya! I have been getting JA calls left and right.

Brandon

Did you see where you were in the top 15 for the unofficial "dead grass award"

It was the only award it got. The judges did not seem to like it very much. I registered in the wrong category (other) when it should have been in plans built. The guy that registered me said he did not know what category to put it in so (other) is what we did. O well I built it for me and it got a lot of attention. Sport aviation did a huge photo shoot and an interview for what I was told will be a feature story is Sport Aviation. We shall see! I had a blast flying out there and really enjoyed the show, even though I had to camp next to Steve Pierce.

P.S. Thanks to all the folks who stopped by and had nice things to say...

The Chub playing in the fresh snow tonight!
DSC_0067.JPGDSC_0112.JPGDSC_0025.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 497
  • DSC_0112.JPG
    DSC_0112.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 397
  • DSC_0025.JPG
    DSC_0025.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 443
Hi Paul. Haven't heard you online in a while. I'm the person who spoke with you at Famoso Raceway and watched you and your crew rebuild your Funny Car during the March Meets.

Doing well and still working on my -12 project. If I don't go to Casa Grande for the antique airplane fly in, I should be there. Right now, it is doubtful I will go to AZ. If the weather cooperates this year, I hope to fly to Famoso with a friend of mine in his plane and land next to the raceway. I will look for you and look forward to visiting with you.

Kevin G.

Back