• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My Super CHUB!

IMG_0492.JPGIMG_0491.JPG
COMMING ALONG! Building engine now, Should be done by Monday afternoon...

Attachments

• IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    663 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    699.8 KB · Views: 441
Some more pics. Engine time!!

IMG_0503.JPGIMG_0512.JPGIMG_0516.JPGIMG_0513.JPGIMG_0514.JPG
had a few delays from family but getting closer!

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    754 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    809.6 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    671.8 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    795.9 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    649.6 KB · Views: 501
Brandon,

Did you stay full width on the fusalage? I also have a 2+2 that is ready for a total restoration (next year or two) and have toyed with the idea of making it a tandem. I will take a close look at what you have done and I am sure get some good ideas from you.

Duane

Superchub, nice lookin airplane. One comment, if you get in the cockpit from behind the strut, I think the door shock will be a pain in the a$$. My 2+2 has the same kind of doors and the shock is at the front of the door, out of the way. for what it's worth

Tim

Superchub, nice lookin airplane. One comment, if you get in the cockpit from behind the strut, I think the door shock will be a pain in the a$$. My 2+2 has the same kind of doors and the shock is at the front of the door, out of the way. for what it's worth

Tim

Tim, one of those things you discover after the fact, mine is only a single place up front and the strut does not seem to be a problem as of yet...

Brandon

Brandon,

Did you stay full width on the fusalage? I also have a 2+2 that is ready for a total restoration (next year or two) and have toyed with the idea of making it a tandem. I will take a close look at what you have done and I am sure get some good ideas from you.

Duane

Duane, I am 6' 5" and 250+ from the holidays and size matters. I love the stock Cub but after a hour I just don't fit. So this is my solution. The one seat up front makes me feel small in a small airplane! something I have never felt.

Brandon

I put it on the scales today! 1248 lbs! left main 603, right main 603, tail 42 lbs. That's with the long gear, 0-360 a1a, 80 inch hartzel C/S with dampner 67 lbs., heavy duty struts +10lbs. , bush tail wheel and 8.50 tires, all up weight ready to fly.. I hope for inspection next week and fly by next week end..

Brandon

Dang, I'm gonna have to come up there and see ya fly it! I'm down in Colorado Springs...working on my Stinson project up in Elbert.

Well Gent's and ladies It's is done. C of A today and first flight 0700 the 17th.. 1 year 2 months and 16 days. I will post some pics of the first flights.

BJ

Full width should fit you nicely. I am thinking about doing the same to my 2+2 not because I am tall but because I realy like to sit on the center-line. I would realy like to see your in person before I decide on mine. Where did you say you were based?

Duane Woolsey

Man that is some impressive build speed. And a really nice looking plane. If you are up for it you should hop over the rocks may 13th for the caveman flyin. Lot of Colorado and Utah pilots. U can get the details at the backcountry pilots site. It's a lot of fun.

Full width should fit you nicely. I am thinking about doing the same to my 2+2 not because I am tall but because I realy like to sit on the center-line. I would realy like to see your in person before I decide on mine. Where did you say you were based?

Duane Woolsey

Duane I am in Brighton Colorado. Van Aire CO12. I have been trying to post some pics of the finished project for about a hour now and can't get them to post for some reason. I will have some good shots of the cockpit when I can get them posted...

Thanks, Brandon

Man that is some impressive build speed. And a really nice looking plane. If you are up for it you should hop over the rocks may 13th for the caveman flyin. Lot of Colorado and Utah pilots. U can get the details at the backcountry pilots site. It's a lot of fun.

I will check into that!! I am form SLC so anything in that direction is always good.

IMG_0579.JPGIMG_0573.JPGIMG_0576.JPG
A few pics from earlier in the week. These have all been off the phone. I took some pics with the good camera but can't get them to upload. Dam computers..

Brandon

Attachments

• IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    612 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    614.1 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    792.2 KB · Views: 385
...Converted for tandem seats 2 place...
I think a 2+2/PA14 flown from the center is awesome! Years ago I recommended that my 6'5" - 300+ buddy build a centerline pilot seat Bushmaster. He thought that was the craziest thing he'd ever heard. I told him him look at the Shirpa, the old Fairchild big cabins, the three place 20s and 30s biplanes, lots of side by side airplanes have had center seated pilot positions.
Superchub, your ship is awesome! I think a tandem 2+2 is too cool. You may have started something....

I think a 2+2/PA14 flown from the center is awesome! Years ago I recommended that my 6'5" - 300+ buddy build a centerline pilot seat Bushmaster. He thought that was the craziest thing he'd ever heard. I told him him look at the Shirpa, the old Fairchild big cabins, the three place 20s and 30s biplanes, lots of side by side airplanes have had center seated pilot positions.
Superchub, your ship is awesome! I think a tandem 2+2 is too cool. You may have started something....

Curtiss Robin too.

Neat plane and congrats on first flight! Try resizing your photos before uploading. Might be a size problem. Give us a pirep when you get a chance.

First flight! I took off around 1300 Saturday. beautiful day. It flies great. T/O roll was short as it came off before I had the throttle in. Roll control was hand off. pitch is the same as a super Cub. I had some up trim as expected as no weight in the back so the tail is very light. I made it this way so I can load it up. I can put 200+ lb. in the baggage and still be in CG no problem. Wide open at first for the break in, and does it move. I was indicating 128 mph average and the GPS confimed with about 112 kts. at 24 inch mp. and 2400 rpm. I have a few little fixes like shorten the rudder cables as they seamed to have gotten longer, I had an CHT issue, but it works better with the wire hooked up correctly. I can't figure out how to reduce the file size of the pics of the flight to post here but I will get something up soon. I got a 25 hour fly off so really looking forward to OK18 as it first event.

Total build time = 1 year, 2 months, 19 days to the first flight. Now a couple weeks of fine tuning and then learn how to really fly it!!!

Thanks for follow along!!!!

Brandon

Congratulations, my new favorite Cub clone. I think you hit a home run for a personal utility aircraft.

I was up at Boulder yesterday working on the C-45, saw a bright yellow Cub and was wondering if it was you, until I got a better look and knew it wasn't your CHUB.

If the yellow Super Cub was at BDU around 11:00 I bet I know who it was ;-)... Congratulations on the Chub Brandon, I should have stuck around CO12 a bit longer...Can't wait to see it in action :)

Back