• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

It's almost winter...

NimpoCub

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital o
ouch.jpg

98% OF CANADIANS SAY "OH SHIT" BEFORE GOING IN THE DITCH ON A SLIPPERY ROAD.
The other 2% are from Newfoundland and they say, "hold my beer and watch dis."

Well, all good things have to come to an end. Pulled the floats off yesterday.......now to spend all winter cleaning the Mississippi River Scum off!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMGP3120.JPG
    IMGP3120.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 211
Well, all good things have to come to an end. Pulled the floats off yesterday.......now to spend all winter cleaning the Mississippi River Scum off!!!!!!!

your picture reminds me....

I was responsible for tipping a boom truck with one of our 185's on it picking/swinging it sideways like that when the sand gave way under the feet & boards.....

I was young and dumb, and step father tried to tell me it was a bad position when we satup for the change.....

had floats disconected, think we had plane spun sideways, and as we just started to swing, the truck started tipping..... luckly it sat plane down right on edge of top of float bettween upright struts, directly on strong gear box...... on strut dented a grove in cowling that was about all the damage....

so once we we brave enough to go under it and see that, gee, it was balanced nice and no going any where, we relaxed cable, unhooked, moved truck, and rehooked and lifted and finished the job......

lesson, listen to your elders, they really do know what they are talking about....

and always pick of the rear of truck.... and a solid place.... don't mater how strong the truck is if the feet start sinking.....

Well here she is on skis & @ the dock. Today I'll run the ext. cord down & get out the eng. cover. Haft'a snug up the aileron cables & get the cabin heat muff installed, new tach cable is on it's way. We're all pouting @ the lack of snow (snowmobiling) but the lake(s) are making good ice. Nimpo just froze completely (middle) so after this cold snap I'll go check the ice w/the snowmobile & saw. Just want to be sure there's good ice in the middle in case I have a takeoff issue & haft'a put her back down.
Any time now!!
on skis@dock.jpg

Attachments

• on skis@dock.jpg
    on skis@dock.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 229
I've never been around picking up a plane to change floats. How, where do you pick it up.

thanks...Mike

I've never been around picking up a plane to change floats. How, where do you pick it up.

thanks...Mike

you install a set of lifting eyes on front spar that come through the fairings

atlee sells some

Lifting%20Eyes.jpg
Lifting Eyes
P/N 3217

Attachments

• Lifting%20Eyes.jpg
    Lifting%20Eyes.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 119
Like this, but with floats. Boom truck or crane to a spreader bar that has rings at the same spacing as those installed on the plane being lifted. Connect the plane to the spreader bar with shackles and lift with the crane.

IMG_0149.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 202
This works a LOT better than shoulders on the boot cowl. :)
How many Cubs are wrinkled there?!!

Back