• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

12 VDC External Pwr.

Aviator

Canada (Legally)
Does anyone have a 12 VDC external power plug and who's got the STC, if any?

behindpropellers said:
Aviator said:
Does anyone have a 12 VDC external power plug and who's got the STC, if any?

Like a cigarette lighter plug or to jump it with?

For jump start. Something like - excuse the expression - Mrs. Piper's receptacle that accepts the 11042 Piper type plug (Spruce P/N 11-00500).

Charging system

Not trying to hyjack your thred, but I bought the plug in from Garmin for my 496 and want to put a cigarette lighter plug in under my dash. I could use it for other things as well. Who sells a legal or is there one for a certified cub ?

Getting back to jump starting a plane, When my charging system failed in my cub, I just used car jumper cables to start it up. I have a bad shoulder and hand proping is a last option for me as well.

Re: Charging system

Bill Ingerson said:
Not trying to hyjack your thred, but I bought the plug in from Garmin for my 496 and want to put a cigarette lighter plug in under my dash. I could use it for other things as well. Who sells a legal or is there one for a certified cub ?

well, I guess you could get one from cessna??.... but napa or shucks is what i use aux power plug, and it gets field approved part & installation anyway with the mods to the electric system 337.....

almost tempted to add multiple usb jacks now too dash and rear seats area, with the adapter under dash like you say, since so many things are charged that way now/ becoming standard....

Hey Mike, the addition of USB ports is a great idea for les bulk when charging the ipod, iphone etc.

Has anyone put one in the panel yet?

David

Aviator ,

what about rigging up a "temp" jump start booster things they sell, just for winter. Heck why don't you just wire one in just under the battery box lid or where ever its' a,tie wrap it up and bam. Under the seat even easier. 70 below, I'd go back to bed. I'm from florida

5191H said:
Hey Mike, the addition of USB ports is a great idea for les bulk when charging the ipod, iphone etc.

Has anyone put one in the panel yet?

David

not panel mount... but

USB-A_i_ma.jpg

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/437

When the Cessna panel was replaced last spring we added a conventional cigarette lighter style power port up under the panel in a very nicely made bracket. Power is fed through a 5A breaker labeled "Aux 12v" in the panel. The same breaker feeds a hard wired Spider power line. An iPod automobile power cord is easy to feed through one of the glove boxes so there isn't any loose cabling hanging on the panel. And the power port is very adaptable to different appliances since all come with a car cord. Less in the panel, more hidden. That's the way I wanted it.

SB

How about preheat and a new battery. You don't need anything else up here! :O) If it won't start with that.. find the problem, boosting isn't the answer.

My old FAA PMI told me adding a cigarette lighter plug was a minor modification and all I needed was a log book entry. I used to order the part from Cessna till I found the same thing at the auto parts store. It has a screw terminal on the back, wire with mil spec wire and a fuse.

XLVI-XII, rigging up a jump-start connection is not a big deal, but explaining it to the insurer and the feds is another matter. :bang I don't particularly like Piper's plug either (yanking it out is hard on the structure) but I haven't yet found a workable alternative. My G-35 is in the back, access is a real struggle. The ideal would be a 2nd solenoid to energize (also with the start button, direct from the primary solenoid's relay terminal) a short wire from the live side of the primary solenoid to the outside fixed with an insulated terminal to clip the booster cable's alligator clamp on (ground clamp can go anywhere on the frame). Problem is I'm not sure the 5A breaker and wiring can handle 2 relay coil loads. 'Course there's still the issue of the raised eyebrows and paperwork - during a spot inspection :bad-words: or after they sweep up the ashes. :oops:

Good advice, Wayne, except that the H-N back in the hangar is useless up at the cabin. :( New battery? Definitely. :Geureka: I have even looked at odyssey's SBS J-16, even though it doesn't have the CCA of the G-35. Still, there's a reason the battery cart is always in demand on cold mornings at every Canadian field.

Anyways, thanks for the ideas.

Aviator said:
New battery? Definitely. :Geureka: I have even looked at odyssey's SBS J-16, even though it doesn't have the CCA of the G-35. Still, there's a reason the battery cart is always in demand on cold mornings at every Canadian field.

yes the new style batteries are amazing..

but the other half of the equation is the PM starters, more of the power goes twords spinning, less to making the magnetic field... do you have a new style starter?

and putting it under the seat get the cable loss much less...

also never forget to check/jumper past the start switch, and the solenoid, each ones internal contacts get eroded with each use, you may not be getting everything the battery has to the starter....

It appears this thread has morphed into two subjects. On the original of "jump starting". Please don't use a cigarette lighter jack for boost purposes. I don't know what the actual draw of an O-320 starter is but looking at the Delco Remy? (from memory) on mine I would guess the starting/amp draw to be at least 150 amps prolly more. If you attempt to start with a boost battery attached through the jack on the panel (dangerous enough with the male plug hot) and the battery is either dead or has a high resistance connection, the starter will try to draw that current through the lighter jack from the external battery. It probably wont be able to do it but the results of trying will be ( from best to worst) blown fuse, smoke, fire and worst case, undetected melted wiring under the panel to ruin your day in the air during a later flight :onfire: I hope I'm correctly commenting on what was presented before. It's a little confusing with the talk about power points mixed in with "boosting". If the intent was to "charge" a battery through the jack, then a very small trickle charger would work but the contactor has to be "in" for that to work. Personally I liked the suggestion of battery cables direct to the battery for boost purposes during starting.

Starting

Oddesy Battery
SkyTreck Starter
Problem over.

Went through the same head ache and finally did something about it.
The next problem is that I lost the Regulator that charges the battery and now that's new. I only used the jumper cables when I found out the battery would not stay charged. That's what I would do, and that's what I did. It will work for you less weight than the G-35. I will sell my new G-35 now.

Bill

mike mcs repair said:
Aviator said:
New battery? Definitely. :Geureka: I have even looked at odyssey's SBS J-16, even though it doesn't have the CCA of the G-35. Still, there's a reason the battery cart is always in demand on cold mornings at every Canadian field.

yes the new style batteries are amazing..

but the other half of the equation is the PM starters, more of the power goes twords spinning, less to making the magnetic field... do you have a new style starter?

and putting it under the seat get the cable loss much less...

also never forget to check/jumper past the start switch, and the solenoid, each ones internal contacts get eroded with each use, you may not be getting everything the battery has to the starter....

Yeah, I have a Sky-Tek 122-12LS under STC SE00218.

Moving it under the seat is not an option for me without adding wt. CG is at the fwd. limit as it is (PA-18A)

Back