• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

E Mags vs Lightspeed

I have 2 Pmags on my O-200.
I have about 300 hours on one and about 75 hours on the second one.
When my 20 year old Lightspeed finally died I replaced it with the second Pmag.
I am a very satisfied customer.
DaveG

I'm thinking of going with these on my O320. Do you notice much increase in efficiency. What features do you like best?

I have two of them on my 0360, we just have not run it yet. FedexLou is running them. He sold me.

Only issue I recently saw with them. Had a customers Murphy Elite in for amphib install this spring. He had dual Pmags on his O-360. While the battery may have enough power to crank the engine over that would normally start a "magneto" engine.. it won't fire the pmags. We installed a voltage conditioner to feed the Pmags so they always get 12+V.

Another thing that throws you off at first.. shut down procedure. I always flip off the master and pull mixture to shut down with mags still on. With the Pmags.. you need to increase your RPM to ~1000.. flip master off.. pull mixture.. engine dies, shut off mags. If you have the engine at idle when you hit the master switch to off = instant shut down.

You will definitely notice a difference. Starts better. Runs smoother, burns less fuel at cruise.
DaveG

Crash said:
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the latest E Mags? The P-Mag in particular.

http://www.emagair.com/P-MAGII.htm

Also the Lightspeed crank sensor models.

http://www.lightspeedengineering.com/

The P-Mag looks intriguing as it is self contained and produces it's own power above 800 RPM. They say it can also be jumped off a 9V Duracell for hand propping with a dead battery.

Thanks,

Crash

Crash

I have dual P Mags on my hopped up O-360. They are the latest Model 114. Model 112 and 113 were troublesome. The Model 114 has been out now for 2 1/2 years. I have 700 hrs on mine with zero problems. I run NGK BR8eix Iridium auto plugs. Non Iridium plugs wore the gap too quickly. The Iridium plugs are bullet proof. Bought online for @ $11 each.

Yes, they can be hand propped with a 9V Duracell. I hooked up a bypass arrangement with a Molex Connector to use the 9V. I test it once a week with a hand prop start. Very easy to start as both mags fire at the same time during start. It may never be needed, as even with a typical "dead battery" with insufficient juice to engage the starter, I still show 11V-11.5V which is plenty of spark with the coil size in these mags.
Mine run as advertised down to the 750-850 RPM range with the Master off.

Best of all....with my higher compression (9.5 to 1), LEES Exhaust, and standard P Mag 39 deg advance curve, I am seeing 1-1.5 gph LESS fuel flow than before. The price for all that is a 10-15 deg hotter CHT. Typical FF is 7.0-7.5 gph at 2480-2530 rpm. At $5gal mine paid for themselves in only 253hrs!

I have no experience with the LightSpeed ignition.

Too bad these are not legal for certified aircraft.

Lou

irishfield said:
Only issue I recently saw with them. Had a customers Murphy Elite in for amphib install this spring. He had dual Pmags on his O-360. While the battery may have enough power to crank the engine over that would normally start a "magneto" engine.. it won't fire the pmags. We installed a voltage conditioner to feed the Pmags so they always get 12+V.

Another thing that throws you off at first.. shut down procedure. I always flip off the master and pull mixture to shut down with mags still on. With the Pmags.. you need to increase your RPM to ~1000.. flip master off.. pull mixture.. engine dies, shut off mags. If you have the engine at idle when you hit the master switch to off = instant shut down.

Not sure why you have to use an "alternate procedure" to shut down. Mine shut down clean whether I am at 650 rpm or 1000 rpm. I just pull the mixture to idle cutoff like any other Lyc/Cont, etc. Once the engine stops I then shut off the Mag sw, Pmag ignition arming switches, and Master, etc.

As for starting, I have a firewall mounted Odyssey P-680 battery and high torque SkyTec starter. Engine starts on the 1st or 2nd blade every time.

Love my P-Mags!!

I have dual lightspeeds on Cuzoom 800plus hrs with hall effects trigger would recommend to any one trouble free mikeo

Back