Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bushwheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Bushwheels?

I've been thinking about adding a pair of 26" Bushwheels to my Smith Kit.
    Their website doesn't list the price. Does anyone out there know what they currently cost? Will my single puck Grove brakes be adaquate?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Wup should be able to answer those questions. Send him an email and go right to the source.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Bushwheel site lists prices ... try here http://www.akbushwheel.com/index.php...cart&Itemid=58

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    Go with the 35"!!! First you'll get the 26's and then think you NEED the 29 or 31's......then you'll want the 35's. Its a never ending search for personal satifaction!! LOL
    I bought the 26" for the Champ several years ago and have wished I had gotten a bigger size.....not because I need then, but because I want them and they look cool!!
    WW
    Don't take life too seriously ... no one gets out alive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here ya go, from link above..

# 26"x12"x6" Alaskan Bushwheels (PN: 26126.R) - $2700.00/pair + shipping and handling
    # 29"x13"x6" Alaskan Bushwheels (PN: 29136.R) - $3100.00/pair + shipping and handling
    # 31"x13"x6" Alaskan Bushwheels (PN:31136.R) - $3400.00/pair + shipping and handling
    # 35”x15”x10” Lightweight Alaskan Bushwheels (PN: 351510.R1) - $3750.00/pair + shipping and handling

Post Thanks / Like
    Wup,
    I sent to the contact info on the website a few weeks ago but never received a reply. Looking for budgetary info on 10"x10" wheels, (1 1/2" axles) brgs, brakes... for consideration on my Bearhawk project, didn't see pricing for them on the website.

Thanks,
    Mark Johnston
    Practicing open cockpit extremism

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark give me a call on Monday, we have been updating our systems at work the last couple weeks so sorry we missed you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wup

Are the 35" only certified on your wheels for the Supercub? I am going to pull my 29*11*10 Gar Aero's this spring and If I can use the wheels and adapters I would go 35" otherwise I will peel the adapters and go with 31"

Thanks
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dalec
    Wup

Are the 35" only certified on your wheels for the Supercub? I am going to pull my 29*11*10 Gar Aero's this spring and If I can use the wheels and adapters I would go 35" otherwise I will peel the adapters and go with 31"

Thanks
    Dale
    why not sell the garaeros as a set and buy the 35 kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    WUP:

Is there any planned price increase for next year? Inquiring minds, you know

Jim

StewartB
    Wup

Thanks
    Dale
    Even the guys I know who prefer Gars are converting to real 10" wheels.

SB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartB
    Wup

Thanks
    Dale

SB
    Have there been failures on the adapters?

Jerry
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart

I hear you on that, the Gars are ok but stiff and heavy. I have waited until the tires needed to be replaced to do anything. If I can get a season with my wheels and 35's thats another 300 gallons of gas I get to burn next summer! If they won't work I will just buy 31's and bake the wheels to knock the adapters off.

I am not convinced I have to have the 35's, they just look cool :P :P

StewartB
    I wasn't being critical of Gars. I know guys who prefer them to Bushwheels. They use them hard and they're the guys who in the past year all seem to have the black 10" wheels. Failures? Haven't heard of any. I can't say what's driving the change. I just notice the black wheels.

SB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubflier
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartB
    Wup

Thanks
    Dale

SB
    Have there been failures on the adapters?

Jerry
    many but not necessarily a failure of the adapter... the glue comes loose... but it is ALWAYS a fault of the installer not following the directions and gluing over the paint on the wheel and not doing proper prep work.... I would guess 2/3 I have looked at have been assembled wrong... no need to heat to disassemble these, they fall apart themselves, or with a good whop with a wood block... back in the late 80's early 90's the insurance adjuster we worked with was trying to get the FAA to pull them because of the ins claims... that said its all we used with no issues...

does the 35" $3750 include their wheels? i didn't see a separate price for the wheels at their site, I assume they are more $$

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike for clearing things up. I have only been concerned about the glued adaptors since the day I found out they were glued. I bought my cub with the Gar.. adapters and flew them for a year and half then converted to Airstreaks. I was going get new rims when my mechanic showed me how to bake the adapters off. Then I started to worry about the fact that they were glued on.

When I bought my new Maule I put the adapters back on but again was concerned about having so many dollars of aircraft dependant on a glued on rim adapter. My mechanic assured me that when done properly this combination was rock solid.

Thanks for the info.

Jerry
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike

I missed your earlier post there for some reason. It seems to me I remember that it is more money for the wheels bringing the conversion cost into the $5,000 range. If I could sell the Gar Aeros that might be the answer but the tires need to be replaced this season so I figured now was the time to make a move.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike

I missed your earlier post there for some reason. It seems to me I remember that it is more money for the wheels bringing the conversion cost into the $5,000 range. If I could sell the Gar Aeros that might be the answer but the tires need to be replaced this season so I figured now was the time to make a move.
    we would get markairs worn 29" carivan tires and use them... still plenty good when they were no good for them... might check around...

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a pair of 29 ABW... there pretty cool.....i had a pair of 850 's now i might have to buy a set of new wheels for it ... sounds like i might have to give some dual in the cub dont really wear out the bw. so just make sure what your mission will be

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a pair of 29 ABW... there pretty cool.....i had a pair of 850 's now i might have to buy a set of new wheels for it ... sounds like i might have to give some dual in the cub dont really wear out the bw. so just make sure what your mission will be

Post Thanks / Like
    Wup

Thanks
    Dale

Dale-

Yes the 35's are only Certified to the STC with our ABI 10650 wheel. If your haven't already un-stuck your Gar's I would advise leaving them alone and selling them complete as you might get a better price for them.

The 35's are $3750.00 and the Wheels are $1650.00 for a Total of $5400.00 + s/h

Now on the 10" wheel front we were getting more and more questions years ago about getting something stronger on the market to help with a issue of the adapters and the real wheel separating and causing more broken stuff so we TSO'd a wheel to fill that void in the system. The State Of Alaska has since pulled all (or most) of the Glue on adapters and is now running our 10" wheel.

[img][/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Wup

Thanks for the answer. I will be seeing you guys at the airmans show for my new tires. (Now I just need to figure out what size) :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Wup

Thanks for the answer. I will be seeing you guys at the airmans show for my new tires. (Now I just need to figure out what size) :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart

I hear you on that, the Gars are ok but stiff and heavy. I have waited until the tires needed to be replaced to do anything. If I can get a season with my wheels and 35's thats another 300 gallons of gas I get to burn next summer! If they won't work I will just buy 31's and bake the wheels to knock the adapters off.

I am not convinced I have to have the 35's, they just look cool :P :P
    Can you say AEROCET!!!!!! :P :P
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    George... I hear you when you say "Aerocet"... just need another airplane

Can't fly floats and bushwheeels on the same plane, not talented enough to figure out the retact system for the bushwheels

Aerocet's will have to wait for me to get a 180 to pack them around :P

Post Thanks / Like
    .....George... I hear you when you say "Aerocet"......

not talented enough to figure out the retract system for the bushwheels ....
    sounds like a concept drawing challenge for steve E's tallent....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair
    .....George... I hear you when you say "Aerocet"......

not talented enough to figure out the retract system for the bushwheels ....
    sounds like a concept drawing challenge for steve E's tallent....

Hmmmm pair o' 35's on the mains ans 29's on the nose wheel......

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey WW,
    I have a solution for both of us. Sell me your 26" Bushwheels, and then buy the 35 inchers. Feel free to contact me directly at: CptKelly@aol.com

Regards,

Mike

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL....Mike I would be very tempted but unfortunately the 26" AkBushWheels I have are the Airstreak version...ie, 1700 LB gross limit. I would suspect your Smith Cub has a much higher gross. Sure wouldn't want to sell you something unusable for your plane. I do wish I had gotten the 29" when I bought the 26" but like most guys...it was a lack of greenbacks.
    WW
    Don't take life too seriously ... no one gets out alive!