• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tail brace wires

swoeric

stillwater ok
I looked all over and the search function kept bring up everything but what i needed.

In an attempt to clean up the plane. What is the verdict on streamlined tail brace wire?

Does it make any bit of a speed difference?

Anything against using stainless mine are painted and im seeing discoloration from corrosion. just seems like a pain to keep painting them?

I've got them on my J4, they are more maintence then the round ones, you need to keep checking them for nicks and I have to paint them every year, do they let you go faster, I would say yes, can you measure the difference ? not sure.

Glenn

We put 31" Bushwheels on our airplanes, I don't think a set of streamlined wires vs. round wires are going to make much difference. :lol: You also have to inspect for nicks per the AD as well. One less AD time to worry about is enough for me.

sold round wires it is, I was unaware of an ad for nicks. Any problems going stainless?

Univair does. I got one today for less than $20. Order the part number in the catalog for stainless. If you order the one in the PA18 parts manual you will get old stock painted steel for $17.

Steve, ive seen 2 kinds. One where the clevis with the bolt hole is on the brace wire itself,one piece, its just been angled. This is what i have and am looking for in stainless. And others ive seen on a lot of cubs are a straight clevis on the wire itself and another small bracket thats flat thats been angled abit to fit is used. I dont have a current Univair catalog, but in this older catalog they show the kind im using. Thats what your saying they have in stainless? They dont list the parts seperate in this older issue. doug

I have the drawings for two types of tail brace wires. The more common ones are depicted in the PA18 parts manual and the Univair catalog and are available in stainless. The earlier style I have only seen a few times and have not seen any replacement parts. They are made like a Champ with forked rod ends held on a steel bracket with a clevis pin and cotter pin.

Univair does. I got one today for less than $20. Order the part number in the catalog for stainless. If you order the one in the PA18 parts manual you will get old stock painted steel for $17.

Hi Steve, do you have a Univair part #? I have searched their website many times for many items and always come up empty. Thanks, Joe.

top 2 40521-08, 2 on top of stab 40521-07, 2 under stab 40521-09, and bottom 2 40531-00. these are the old numbers in the parts catalog for reference. and stainless ones in same order 61341-003, 61341-002, 61341-004, 61340-000. check me on this though.

Last edited:
The new stainless steel fittings from Univair are as follows:
Top Wire, Upper Clevis (replaces 40521-008 ) U61341-003 $23.08
Top wire, Lower Clevis (replaces 40521-007) U61341-002 $31.51
Bottom Wire, Upper Clevis (replaces 40521-009) U61341-004 $33.23
Bottom Wire, Lower Clevis (replaces 40521-010) U61341-000 $30.51
Square Washer U81102-002 $4.21

DSCF1826.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF1826.JPG
    DSCF1826.JPG
    449.6 KB · Views: 5,299
I bought a complete set of stainless wires and brackets from DE in Florida. The price was very reasonable, although I can't remember what I was :)
Laz

I'm experimental, but check their website.
I don't have an address or phone # with me right now(traveling). But I think they are still D&E?

Steve
Found them at AC spruce.
Experimental only!

Sorry, since I left the certified word, I never looked back :)
Laz

The new stainless steel fittings from Univair are as follows:
Top Wire, Upper Clevis (replaces 40521-008 ) U61341-003 $23.08
Top wire, Lower Clevis (replaces 40521-007) U61341-002 $31.51
Bottom Wire, Upper Clevis (replaces 40521-009) U61341-004 $33.23
Bottom Wire, Lower Clevis (replaces 40521-010) U61341-000 $30.51
Square Washer U81102-002 $4.21

attachment.php

Aren't the stainless steel wire clevis required to comply with the AD for changing to round tail brace wires? Univair told me that they changed to Stainless Steel when that AD came out. I see Dakota Cub sells these wire clevis much cheaper so I'm assuming that they are steel. Which clevis is needed, the steel or stainless steel? Which is preferred???

Dakota'a are stainless. Stainless or steel are both acceptable but the steel, even when primed and painted eventually rust. Stainless doesn't and I have not seen any issues with them unless the special washer is not installed under the bolt and nut.

By special washer you mean the ferrule or bushing that allows rotation of the clevis? I have seen these missing on quite a few Cubs, including one I bought recently. The previous mechanic, realizing that the bolt was kind of sloppy in the clevis, simply drilled the stabilizer for the next size bolt. Yow!

The stainless steel clevis is excellent but the nipple and nut, shown to the right side of the photo above, are brass (I think). I had mine nickle platted by dodgy brothers, to give it the stainless look. Mine are looking ordinary only after a few years. What does everyone else do with theirs?

If you haven't pulled your wires apart ever I'd recommend it. A few of mine at the time, were well worn.

Regarding post #1 asking about streamline tail wires vs round, I went to our local hobby store and found small aluminum streamline tubing in 3ft. Sections and slid them over the original round wires. I placed a small section of heat shrink at the top ends to hold it in place. The bottoms were left open in case any water gets in. So far (180) hrs, they have stayed in place, and I know in my mind they have to help the speed just a little. They have been a good conversation item any time someone looks at them. Sorry I don't have a picture of them, but I think they are a common item at a good hobby store. Larry v.

Cool idea. My curiosity be piqued, do the wires & tail shake less with the streamlines installed? Probably need a GoPro pointed backwards or a chase plane to see tho.

I don't notice any tail shake back there. You can google K & S streamline aluminum tubing and see what it looks like, prices etc. Larry v.

Steve
How many square washers are required in a tail assembly are they only for the vertical fin?
Thks

Back