Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: V tail VS the straight tail Bonanza

Post Thanks / Like

V tail VS the straight tail Bonanza

are the V tail faster then the straight tails? do pilots prefer v tail or straight? I have a V tail really like it do get the dog wag a little bit but with a little rudder pressure and the yaw damper it's not that bad.... BTW i just recived my ABW cant wait to bolt them on the cub!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My S35 carries a bigger load higher, faster and farther than a new G36.

Post Thanks / Like
    My S35 carries a bigger load higher, faster and farther than a new G36.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've owned both straight tail and V-tail Bonanzas. As far as speed goes, it's hard to say. The straight tail I had was turbo-normalized, so it's apples and oranges. It would true at 200 knots up high. My current V-tail is a 1978 with an IO-520. It will true out at an honest 174 knots, typically at 8-10,000 feet. The main issue I have with the V-tail is weight and balance. With 4 people I can really only carry about 25 pounds in the baggage area due to a weight shift rearward as fuel burns. If you're not careful, you'll end up with a cg that's too far aft at your destination. Tail waggle in turbulence really isn't any worse than any other airplane in my opinion, although I haven't spent much time in the back seat .

Post Thanks / Like
    There are so many variations among Bonanzas and Debonairs (horsepower, weights, cabin size, speed mods, etc., etc.) that it is difficult to make direct comparisons.

The closest we can come to "apples and apples" is to compare the post-1972 V35B and F33A Bonanzas -- they both came from the factory with 285-hp TCM IO-520 engines and were identical except for the tail groups. Published performance data were the same; with like equipment the straight-tail F33A was 19 lb heavier in empty weight. The V-tail has a slightly narrower aft CG range, but the straight-tail starts out more tail-heavy.

All Bonanzas have some degree of tail wag in turbulence (easily minimized by holding some pressure on one or both rudder pedals). Some pilots maintain that the tail wag is more pronounced in the V-tail models; others can't tell much difference at all between the Model 33 and 35 series. The Model 36 seems to do a little better in this department, probably more related to its longer fuselage than to the straight tail.

Anyone seriously considering a Bonanza or Debonair should read Flying The Beech Bonanza by John C. Eckalbar, a comprehensive review of the performance and handling characteristics of the entire Bonanza line.

Post Thanks / Like

V tail Bonanza vs. Streight tail Bonanza.

Look into the inflight breakup numbers for the two types of Bonanza. Last time I looked (years ago) it was 227 V-tails vs. 1 Streight tail. And no, the little kit Beech came out with didn't stop it from happening. So for me there is only one choice. For some others the style and mystique of a V- tail outweighs the slight additional risk factor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any airplane will break up if you get the nose point at the ground for too long. IMC+ light controls+ poor "PT" = Break Up
    PT you ask? PILOT TECHNIQUE

Always have enough PT when ya get close to the edge of the air.

Post Thanks / Like

V-tail Bonanza vs: streight tails.

So I guess all the bad pilots only fly V-tails?

Post Thanks / Like

V-Tails

My 10 or more year old Aviation Consumer Book says the breakups have returned to normal (same as other similar aircraft) except for the original or straight 35 which has a different wing. Anybody have anything more recent from AC?

Post Thanks / Like

AOPA/ASF report

Post Thanks / Like
    No the V tail was known as the Dr. Killer as they could afford to be under trained and flying expensive singles. Would you now say the Cirrus SR22 is unsafe. Once again the toy of the affluent.
    More Training less Insurance!

The V tail is a great machine why do I say this as I have many hours in a V tail and as stated with a little double rudder single foot pressure you stop wagging the dog. The other reason when you fly half way across the country in a day to land at Cow Creek a V tail can make it in there too :P
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01407[3].JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	25 Love my Straight 36. 164 knts.@ 15 GPH. 114 Gallons = 7.5 hrs. 4 People and all you can put in it! Rear 2 seats removed.
    JohnnyJackson