• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Famous People

This picture brings back some memories. It was taken in the mid 1980's at the family rice ranch in Colusa, CA. Back then we took our pheasant hunting a lot more seriously. There were times we had 30+ hunters chasing the Chinese ringneck and the annual event drew the attention of some very accomplished friends from San Diego. The common thread was the San Diego Air & Space museum which my father was connected to.

IMG_9936.JPG

On the left is VADM James E. Service USN (retired). His distinguished career included:

Chairman of the Board Sturm Ruger & Co.
Vice Admiral of the United States Navy
Commander of the United States Naval Air Force, Pacific Fleet
Commander Carrier Group two - Sixth Fleet
(The battle group that shot down 2 of Quddafi's MIG's over the gulf of Sidra)
President - Naval War College
Past Director of Wood River Medical Center, Ketchum, Idaho.

One footnote on the 1/89 aerial battle over the gulf of Sidra. Two Lybyan MiG 23's took up an attack posture on a couple of our F-14's but they were quickly downed. The full story can be found at http://www.military-heat.com/64/gulf-sidra-incident-1989/. After the incident a cabinet member asked Ronald Regan "how far can our pilots could go in pursuit of enemy aircraft who attack them?" Regan answered "all the way back to the hangar".

James_E_Service.jpg

Jim has generously arranged the annual Sturm Ruger donation we raffle at the Johnson Creek fly-in. He also hunted with us for years and twice arranged for my father and I to get "tail hooked" at sea, once aboard the Constellation and again aboard the Kitty Hawk. Obviously we had two "cat-shots" (unfortunately we had to go home the next day) aboard C-2 (cods)... an "E" ticket ride for sure. The Service family remain close friends and we communicate regularly. I stop to visit with them in Ketchum Idaho on the way to Johnson Creek each year.

The second from the left is former State Senator Denny Carpenter. He was an effective legeslator representing Orange County, California and an avid hunter. The former Republican State Committee Chair and Senator passed away in 1998.

In the center - Wally Schirra

Wally_Schirra.jpg

Walter Marty Schirra, Jr. (March 12, 1923 – May 3, 2007) was one of the original Mercury 7 astronauts chosen for the Project Mercury, America's first effort to put humans in space. He was the only person to fly in all of America's first three space programs (Mercury, Gemini and Apollo). He logged a total of 295 hours and 15 minutes in space. Schirra was the fifth American and the ninth human to ride a rocket into space. He was the first person to go into space three times.

Wally hunted ducks and pheasants with us for many years at our ranch in Colusa and in January of 1992 was a guest speaker at our kids school.

Second from right - Randall "Duke" Cunningham

Randall Harold Cunningham (born December 8, 1941), usually known as Randy or Duke, is a former Republican member of the United States House of Representatives from California's 50th Congressional District from 1991 to 2005. Cunningham flew the F-4 Phantom II during the Vietnam War.

Cunningham resigned from the House on November 28, 2005, after pleading guilty to accepting at least $2.4 million in bribes and under reporting his income for 2004. He pleaded guilty to federal charges of conspiracy to commit bribery, mail fraud, wire fraud and tax evasion. On March 3, 2006, he received a sentence of eight years and four months in prison and an order to pay $1.8 million in restitution.[1]

Prior to his political career, he was an officer in the United States Navy for 20 years. Along with his Radar Intercept Officer, William P. "Irish" Driscoll became the only Navy flying ace from the Vietnam War for obtaining five confirmed aerial victories during that conflict. To date, Cunningham and Driscoll are the two last aircrew of the United States Navy to achieve "Ace" status. Following the war, Cunningham was later an instructor at the U.S. Navy's Fighter Weapons School, better known as "TOPGUN," and commanding officer of Fighter Squadron 126 (VF-126), a shore-based adversary squadron at NAS Miramar, California.[2]

This guy was a blast to hunt with... trained killer. He would crawl a mile to sneak up on a group of geese. He also told some great stories at the bar and what a chick magnet. He was an annual visitor at our ranch until he was elected to congress in 1991. We've never visited him in prison but hope to one day.

Randall_H._Cunningham.jpg

Here is his wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Cunningham

We also hunted with Lloyd Turner - Co Creator of Bullwinkle and Rocky (with Fritz Freiling), and Boyd Gibbons Fish and California Fish & Game Director in 1991 and former editor of National Geographic Magazine.

December 12, 1991 | From a Times Staff Writer
Gov. Pete Wilson on Wednesday appointed Boyd H. Gibbons, an attorney and a senior editor of National Geographic Magazine since 1976, to direct the Department of Fish and Game, succeeding Peter F. Bontadelli.

Far right - Current organizer of the Johnson Creek Backcountry Supercub fly-in, and Co-founder of National Bushwheel Awareness Week with Ralph and Windy.

I got busted ogling Claudia Schiffer in a departure lounge in Frankfort. Sitting there waiting for my flight and this really attractive woman walks in. I'm looking at her thinking; " wow she'd gorgeous", then "I think that's someone famous". While I'm sitting there, trying to think who she was, I sorta lost track of the fact that I was still staring at her .....even after she noticed and looked back. Oops. She smiled graciously, though. Wasn't until a few weeks later as I was passing a Victoria's Secret store and saw her picture that I figured out who it was.

I’ve enjoyed this thread, but didn’t think I ever met famous people. Then it just hit me that I have had these minor encounters.

When I was a small lad and was at the Rochester, NY airport, Gene Audrey landing and the TV crews were waiting for him. They rounded up all of us little kids and we lined up as he came down the air-stairs out on the ramp. We made the 6:00 news getting our hands shook by Gene.

I meet Neil Armstrong at a White Farm Equipment company meeting. Neil drove the newest rotary combine at a dealer meeting. We all got our pictures taken shaking his hand.

A few years ago, Ralph Charles who was the oldest active pilot at the time, had his 100th birthday party at his home & airstrip in Somerset, OH (the Organ Strip Steve!). Willard Scott and a few other TV crews where on hand. It was a grand party with Ralph playing his organ and airplane action by a few of the Ohio Bush Pilots.

I asked Willard if he wanted to go for an airplane ride. He looked at the strip for a short while, and very politely said that he had to get back inside and get some more food. (Steve, Laura, Bill, and Diana probably agree with him). Before he went in, he did pose with us for some pictures. I did take some hot looking anchor gal up, while her camera guy filmed us from the ground. We did some loops and rolls for him.

Burt Rutan's retirement didn't last long.....

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/RutanAllenTeamUpForStratolaunch_205873-1.html

Aircraft designer Burt Rutan has teamed up again with investor Paul Allen -- who bankrolled Rutan's winning entry in the 2004 X Prize -- to build what they say will be the world's largest airplane, "Stratolaunch," capable of launching payloads into space. The composite aircraft, weighing 1.2 million pounds, with a 385-foot wingspan, resembles an upsized WhiteKnight. Plans call for six jet engines like those used on 747s, and booster rocket engines from Elon Musk's SpaceX. Test flights are planned for 2015.

I didn't know it at the time, but back in the early '70's, I had dinner once a month with my girlfriends mother and step father. Well, I knew I had dinner with them but years later I figured out he was Dwight Morrow Jr., Lindberghs wife's (Anne) brother.....I was flying hang gliders at the time, and he knew that, but never mentioned the connection, even after I flew off a hill near Carmel California that no one except Lindbergh had flown off in a glider (back in the '30's, according to the property owners). I figure after the kidnapping they (Lindbergh family) kept a REAL low profile.

When in junior high school, my cousin and I played stick ball with a baseball bat in the streets in my cousin's neighborhood. Al lady flagged us up to her porch one day and told us about her brother (or cousin, I can't remember) that wanted to say hi to us. He was sitting right there on the porch, so we took it as he maybe could not speak or something. He could speak, but not loud. He had us show him our bat and we knew by the way his sister looked at him and us, that he was somebody special. Every time we saw him on the porch for the next couple of months, we said hi and would occasionally sit with him and he would give us butterscotch candies. He died one week and we were sad. I asked my aunt if I could go to his funeral, so she packed me and my cousin up and we went to his funeral. We got there too early, but his sister was happy to see us. The old man was Satchel Paige. We were two of the only five or so white people at Satchel Paige's funeral in downtown KC. I still have the program today. My cousin still has the bat that he held several times.

I used to clean Roy Clarks MU-2 when I was going to school in Tulsa. Had a Christmas card and $5 bill from him in the glove box of my car. Think I forgot to take it out when I sold the car. Now the only famous (in his own mind) person I see when I go to Tulsa Is Eaton.

OUR VERY OWN FAMOUS MIKE SKUP . He was on Tv this morning KTUU CH.2 Showing off his app for the weahter cams . It was nice to see someone we know alive and with good news on the tv.

Congrats

While operating the 135, I had a number of famous folks fly with me. Two former presidential candidates, Former Ms. Great Brittian, British royalty, and a top contender of the 'America's Cup' (boat owner).

I was the driver for Art Linkletter for a day, (not impressed), I have been on international TV shoes flying folks around...

Last night I was on the ferry with Parker Schnabel and giving him no end of guff for his 'Sam Spade' hat, and the fact he did not know who Sam Spade was! When he was younger, he used to trap on the trail to our cabins so got to know him then. His Grandmother used to babysit my brother and I, and often we would talk to John his grandfather. (Don't know these names? watch Gold Rush Alaska).

Jim Morris, (The Rookie) was the guest of our Rotary Club and we talked for awhile (he is a hunter).

Any chance I got I visited with Atlee Dodge.

Mikeo's 'Hired Gun' stayed at my house.

Martin Buser and I spent a couple of days here in Juneau on his speaking engagment.

But the crown Jewels of my brush with fame:

Cathy Pierce visited here and helped me put tundra tires on my cub:lol::lol::lol:

I landed over the head of Kent Hrbeck from the MN Twins at a fishing contest. I tried to get him in the back of my Champ but the seat belt didn't fit, he's a big dude. There was a crowd. I didn't dare take off so took a camera man from his outdoors show instead.

Met Robin Williams and Dr. Phil who I didn't care for and Charlize Theron when she filmed "North Country" here on the iron range. She is a stunner.

Grew up in the same town and went to church with Gen. Lewis B. (Chesty) Puller. I remember Mom giving him a ride home from church since he didn't drive. My Dad took him to the liquor store in the next town once in awhile and had a few stories.

I like that guy: "Okay, boys, we're surrounded! They'll never get away this time!"

I'm gonna one up you,Longwinglover,Snert actually stopped at my place one day and saw all my cub junk.I enjoyed the visit very much

Oh Crap I forgot to mention I flew with this guy once or twice!

Cloud(haveyourpeoplecallmypeople)Dancer

:anon

I was lucky to be able to catch a ride in Karl Malone's private jet from Texas to Anchorage.

IMG_0958.JPGIMG_0959.JPGIMG_0960.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0958.JPG
    IMG_0958.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 138
Other than the famous SC.org members, there are some notables: Atlee Dodge tops the list, like many I used to buy parts from him at his shop on O'Malley Road.

I remember getting chewed out by Oren Hudson at Merrill Field, he didn't like the fact that I only ran six quarts in my O320.

Harrison Ford showed up at my cousin's office in Cordova asking for advise on flying the area with his Caravan.

As far as "more well known by the masses," I talked to Wayne Knight (Newman) after ordering seafood in Malibu. Nice guy, lost a bunch of weight, said he was in Talkeetna/Denali during 9/11. Never occured to me to say "Hellooo Newman" until later.

Work at Texas Airplane Factory for 5 1/2 years. Saw alot of people come and go. Hoot Gibson sign a book for all of use. On a gas tank I welded up. Mention what a good job it was and asked who did it. Another guy stepped up a said he did. Got to talk to,Scott Crossfield, asked him what his favorite plane was, F4U Corsair was .Having worked at Vought as a Lofting Engineer. I told him the old timers there said the Goodyear F4U was a better plane than the Vought,s . Did he know why. Scott said it was 1500# lighter. Answered that question. Johnny R

My neighbor flew F4U Corsair, Marines , and P-61 His squadron mapped the Pacific , WWII Ted Dorsey. Bud Anderson and I shared a few drinks, during a signing of his first print "Old Crow". I was the only one there. It is hanging proundly on the wall rightbehind me.Shared stories with me , like we knew each other for years. What a great guy.

I have seen lots of famos people in my home town but the most memorable was having a drink with a drunk off his ass Tommy Lee Jones...oh yea and getting my ass chewed by R Lee Ermy

Lol! There are lots of us former Jarheads that would be honored to have our asses chewed by the Gunny!

Web

I met my first celebrity at the 4-H Congress held in Chicago in 1969. Ken Curtis of Festus fame put on a performanc and then met us afterwards. Super nice guy and great singing voice.

The next one was Gerald McRainey of Simon and Simon fame and husband of Delta Burke. Met him at DFW airport in Dallas while he had a layover on the way to Florida. He had been on a hunting trip. I told him I was a wildlife biologist and we had a long conversation about hunting in Texas.

In about the mid 90s I met Frank Borman at the local airport in Clifton, TX. He brought his Twin Comanche in for installation of some speed mods. Nice guy and easy to talk to. I had an office at the FBO and would answer the phone for the FBO so got to talk to Mr. Borman over the phone several times.

The most impressive celebrity was Tom Landry former coach for the Dallas Cowboys. I got to know him and his wife Alicia while he was still coaching. He would bring in his T-210 to get it worked on for many years even after the jerk Jerry Jones fired him. Mr. Landry was not a very talkative man. He did not like talking football after hours. We talked about airplanes and current events mostly. He flew B-17s during WW-II and grew up in Mission, TX which is down the road from my home town. I knew one of his best friends that he grew up with. Mr. Landry was a super nice guy. His wife Alicia was quite the talker and we used to sit by the big hangar doors and visit while the plane was getting serviced.

I met Roger Staubach, his wife and daughter on his daughter's ranch. They fed us supper and it was a very enjoyable visit. We mostly talked about our Vietnam service. He was stationed in Chu Lai. For hours he and his wife told some of the funniest stories about when they were first married. They really made us feel at ease. I still have a photo of us and got a signed football from him.

The worst of the celebrities was Tommy Lee Jones. He flew in to Clifton to attend a celebrity BBQ judging. He had some of the cast that was in Lonesome Dove with him. I introduced myself and shook his hand and quickly found out what an A-hole he is. Very condescending, demanding and self absorbed. Tim Scott who was cast as Pea Eye was the total opposite. Super nice guy and very friendly. I have seen Mr. Jones since that time in San Saba when he came into one of the restaurants and he had not changed. Found out he is quite the Al Gore fan. That makes sense.

That is about it for me.

Matt Thome.
Ted Potter.
Ilie Nastase (sp?)
Stan Smith.

Who the heck are Matt Thome and Ted Potter. Mr. Thome was a former Marine staff sergeant (IIRC) that lived a block away from me growing up. WWI vet. Suffered through being gassed. As one of the previous posters mentioned, my dad told me if Mr. Thome asked me to do something, I was supposed to ask "what else can I do for you" while completing the 1st request.

Col. Potter was also a neighbor that flew dozens of missions in WWII and survived being shot down behind enemy lines twice. He was promoted to Colonel just before retiring in the early 50's (IIRC). My old man was an engineer in the Merchant Marine and met then Major Potter when he was a passenger on a freighter on a trip in the South Pacific.

Stan Smith and Ilie Nastase: The tennis players of the '70's. As a kid living for a year with friends of the family, I got to be a ball boy at the tournament that they played in and was at the back/baseline end of the court. As such, had to hand off balls to each of them during the match. Contrary to some of the reputations, Mr. Nastase was exceptionally pleasant to a scared-a** ballboy, always nodding pleasantly and once in a while saying thank you. Mr. Smith was a perfect gentleman to me.

Years ago I went to a small flyin at a local airport. There were only about 5 airplanes there, I had a Maule at the time and I flew it along with the guy that taught me to fly a tailwheel, he was in his Stearman. We got there and there was another Stearman and a couple more tailwheel airplanes. We talked for a while, had a hotdog and flew home. I thought one of the people looked familiar, but didn't know why. The next day I asked my friend who the tall guy with the other Stearman was, he said Christopher Reeves.

Another time, right after I got married ( years ago ) I went to a tag sale at Howard Cosell's house and bought a dinning room table for $100.

Tried to get Kent Hrbek in my plane for his outdoors show, he didn't fit so I took one of his crew

Admired some single action Colts next to Hank Williams Jr. at a gun show once

I almost met Pablo Escobar, while in Columbia on a hang glider safari in '73. We were trying to find a way up a big mountain and locals kept telling us "no, you don't want to go up there." No names were mentioned at the time, and besides he was hardly well known then. But the same locals also told us about an airplane that was welded up above a man's gate up the mountain in question. 5 or 10 years later, I''m reading an article about the now infamous drug lord, and bang: there was a picture of a Super Cub up above the entry to the ranch! It also turns out he dabbled a bit in hang gliding a few years after I went through his hood, who knows we may have hit it off.

The night I first met my now ex wife in Missoula, I also met her gorgeous girlfriend and co worker, there were both cocktail waitress's at a great old dive down by the railroad tracks. ALL the best bars in western towns are down by the tracks, a railroad engineer taught me that, and even when traveling overseas that's where he would head, because that's where the train workers were, the lowest part of town, not up on a hillside. Anyway my ex and I hit off and I forgot about her girlfriend, my ex was a better catch so I never regretted how it worked out. 6 months later actor Jeff Bridges is in the area shooting a movie, stops by the same joint, meets Susan and they have been married for 30+ years now. But, he got second best I tell myself! They cleaned up the story on how they met, she was working at a dude ranch, not an old time bar down by the tracks. He's a good guy I hear, no pilot though.

Back