• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best torque wrench

cdog

Ready to start tightening nuts and realized my wrench only goes down to 25 ft lbs. Need something that goes down to 5ft lbs. Recommendations?

Snap on inch pound torque wrench or a craftsman, buy what you can afford, it will last a lifetime, if you buy the Snap on you will meet new friends who what to borrow it :D

Glenn

I have a 1/4 drive Snap On inch pound torques wrench that I use all the time. I also have 3/8 drive foot pound torque wrench for props, spark plugs etc. Don't remember the brand. Craftsman makes quality tools at a good price.

I find the 1/4 in drive Inch pound wrench is the most usefull around an airplane. I think mine is made by Pronto? A good one is expensive over a 100 I would bet but there's always Harbor Frieght. Snap on tend to be convenient if they come to your house but it will run 25 percent more or higher nothing beats there ratchet screw driver.

Kind of curious, what do you tighten on a cub with a torque wrench besides assembling the engine or the spark plugs and prop bolts?

Indabush said:
Kind of curious, what do you tighten on a cub with a torque wrench besides assembling the engine or the spark plugs and prop bolts?

I wondered that too but I see that he's building a SQ2 at the bottom of his post. So I imagine that the manufacturer has some torque specs on assembly like wing parts.

I've got three different Proto torque wrenches, two in inch-pounds and one in foot-pounds. I think all of the low inch pound wrenches are 1/4" drive.

I have a 3/8" Snap-on electric torque wrench you can set it to foot lbs inch lbs newton meters ect. Had it for 7 or eight years they ( snap on) calibrate it every year for free you get what you pay for.

Which brings up a good question. Does anyone have any ideas how one might calibrate a torque wrench at home? I would actually like to have a "bolt" type setup mounted to the tool box side that could be used to test before each critical use. I'm thinking a clutch/release mechanism but that would change over time. Kinda hard like measuring engine torque...

mikeo said:
I have a 3/8" Snap-on electric torque wrench you can set it to foot lbs inch lbs newton meters ect. Had it for 7 or eight years they ( snap on) calibrate it every year for free you get what you pay for.

Go get your buddies certified Snap on wrench and put a 8 point socket on yours that will fit his square drive and set both wrenches at the same value and see if they click at the same time, thats what I do when my Snap on guy stops and I grab one of his new ones to check mine about once a year.

Glenn

cubdriver2 said:
Go get your buddies certified Snap on wrench and put a 8 point socket on yours that will fit his square drive and set both wrenches at the same value and see if they click at the same time, thats what I do when my Snap on guy stops and I grab one of his new ones to check mine about once a year.

Glenn
Or you can buy a torque tester, I got mine used from a friend for about
200$. Most torque wrenches are not totally accurate at the lower and upper
end of their range. So I throw my craftsman on the torque tester, if it's a
little off just adjust accordingly. You can buy a new craftsman torque wrench and torque tester for the price of a snap-on torque wrench.

Fortysix12 said:
I find the 1/4 in drive Inch pound wrench is the most usefull around an airplane. I think mine is made by Pronto? A good one is expensive over a 100 I would bet but there's always Harbor Frieght. Snap on tend to be convenient if they come to your house but it will run 25 percent more or higher nothing beats there ratchet screw driver.

Harbor Freight and a precision tool? Not in my tool box.

Harbor Freight torque wrenches are for people working on go carts, not airplanes.

behindpropellers said:
Harbor Freight and a precision tool? Not in my tool box.

Harbor Freight torque wrenches are for people working on go carts, not airplanes.

my first one I bought when I was 16 and started MCS repair as a 3-wheeler repair/computer repair business was from J.C. Whitney... of equal low quality I am sure... :D :D

Thank you much, ordered a 0-600 inch pound Torque wrench from CDI. Will PIREP if anyone is interested.

Chris

If you do a lot of torquing, you might consider weights and an arm. Then just before you torque something important you add, say, 25 lbs at one foot, and see if the wrench clicks?

I have a Snap-On, but did not know about the free calibration. You can bet the next time the truck comes through . . .

Most important torquing around here is the cylinder head on the 289 in my '64 Mustang Convertible. Second most important is the Super D prop.

Back