• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stewart's system tips

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
Stewart's system tips

Has any one any tips for applying and maintaining the Stewart system.

My tip is to make sure the top coat is very well cured before being exposed to a humid environment. My cowl and nose bowl blistered badly 3 weeks after painting because I had a cover on the plane. I panicked and rang Stewarts who told me it was probably not yet properly cured and just to leave it. Within a week I couldn't see the blisters and all is well.

Any other tips??? Eg: paint touch ups and repairs, preparing leading edge for gluing, cleaning products for finished job compatibility with other paints. Do's and don'ts?

after a whole plane, I never was able to shoot the Ekofill smoothly. HVLP and per the book.
Best learning, minimal use of sandpaper would have improved my job. No answer, just my observation.
:(
Let the paint cure before expectecting to use the part. Week plus is better. It is not as hard as urathanes and will scratch easier.

Sharp

I too was (am still, but it's getting better) having trouble getting a good finish. I wrote to jgerard, Stewart System guru on this site, and here is what he wrote back. It is slightly different than the manual. Hope it helps some - it did me.

"Sounds like you're not getting enough paint on the surface. Either you are too far back from the surface, moving too fast, or waiting too long between coats. You need to be about 6-7" from the surface and overlap each pass about 60-70% and you must keep the gun perpendicular to the surface. If you search youtube you can find lots of HOW TO videos on painting.

What type of paint gun are you using? and are you mixing the paint by weight?

Try using slightly less water ( multiply the weight of part A by 3 instead of 2.75 ) and let it tack up slightly longer between coats. You are looking for a fly-paper type tackiness where there is almost no paint transfer when touching the paint with the back of your finger. You should be able to shoot 3 medium wet coats starting at 1 full turn open on the gun, then 1-1/8 and finally 1-1/4 open."

I cannot belive how after you shoot and it appears like orange peel that you wait and this system continues to flow. Easy on the sanding it is more like wiping with open weave sand paper.
John

Back