• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C-85 Stroker

Holee Buckets

I got a real case of perma-grin. I flew her home yesterday. WOW..... as per instructions I flew her wide open most of the way home. There was some light chop a couple of time and I kept thinking I really should slow down a little.:lol::lol: When have you ever heard a cub driver say that. 95-110 indicated 68-77 gs. Sure was glad I had the BW to slow her down a little.
These engines ought to be standard equipment........The fun factor just went waaaay up

.........Mike

I got a real case of perma-grin. I flew her home yesterday. WOW..... as per instructions I flew her wide open most of the way home. There was some light chop a couple of time and I kept thinking I really should slow down a little.:lol::lol: When have you ever heard a cub driver say that. 95-110 indicated 68-77 gs. Sure was glad I had the BW to slow her down a little.
These engines ought to be standard equipment........The fun factor just went waaaay up

.........Mike

Are you still using the 71-44 Prop..?

I have a 71-38 prop I've been using on the old C85,

I am wondering if I need to repitch it for the Stroker engine.

Kem

I am jealous. After 15 years mine is still on the engine stand waiting for the old 85 to wear out. Guess i should let somebody else wear it the rest of the way and finish the stroker.

After 15 years, perhaps it is worn out.? just not so as you can see.

After tear down, found out my cam was worn out. Beyond limits or something.

Although mine hadn't been apart for a Very Long time.

Last edited:
Would this 7144 prop be legal/appropriate for my PA-11 project with C-85-8 Stroker engine?
Next question, Aircraft Specialties STC description says there is no performance difference.
thanks,
WOC Haz

I'd forgotten this thread was even here.:lol: I'm gonna go out on a limb and say maybe, probably. I liked mine because I did a lot of XC. I lost a bit of take off but it more than made up for it in cruise. Talk to your IA They'll be the one signing it off. Find out Their concerns. Personally I liked it a lot.

good Luck........Mike

788 cam, check trade a plane ad index for Robert Weber, he has them. Don't forget to get the correct lifters Glenn

Old post, I know, but thought I'd add another source for a buyer/seller of engine parts:
Jerry Meyers Aviation 888.893.3301 meyersaviation@gmail

A blast from the past. I assembled my Stroker a year ago, and am closing in on 100 more or less trouble-free tach hours. I love the thing! It seems quite a bit more potent than the old tired 85 I pulled out.

What is the "recipe" for the C85 stroker? I know thats a broad question, but can you relate it to a guy with a 85-12F?

I am a flyable Cub owner again......'47 J3-C65 with the 85-12F :)

Thanks a ton. Dave

Sure. It is an O-200 crank, rods, and pistons, and most importantly, a piece of paper authorizing the alteration.

The only other change to the C-85 is the mag timing, and it is my understanding that they backed it off so the engine remained an 85 HP engine.

Oh - and Dave - if you do it, cut that starter pilot off while the case is split. Really important. I have done two without splitting the case, and it takes about six very painful hours. That is after you get the rear case off and modeling clay all over the gears and orifices.

You will love the performance, especially if you err on the high side of the mag timing.

C85 mag timing of 30*L and 28*R and Continental SB M49-16 with FAA approved Supplement No. 1 (2/26/60) I'm told helps.

Gary

If anyone is looking for a wood prop for a C-85 stroker, I have a very low time Sensenich W72GK-46 that, according to Don Swords, is the wood prop that works best. It was incorrectly ordered for a C-90-8F he built for me and I would like to sell it.

Back