• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tires versus wheel size

Collin

Hi...I have purchased a 7GCBC with 600 x 6 tires on cleavland wheels. Can I safely put 850 x 6 tires on these wheels? Or do I need new wheels for the 850's.

Collin Cumberland

You will also need an STC and a brake disc spacer if you are concerned with doing it legal. I got both from Northland Aviation in AK, but im not sure they still support the stc. The spacer is needed on some tires or the tire will rub on brake caliper.

Jim

Didn't see anything any bigger than 8.00x6 on the Type Certificate Data Sheet for the 7GCBC. Have to be careful, you want 2 5/16" between the wheel and the outside of the brake disc to run bigger tires. Some disc are 2". Bushwheels also has the adapters. American Champmion used to have two wheels on the TCDS for the Scout, one was for the 8.00x6 and the other was for the 8.50x6 even though Maule and Aviat runs the same wheel for both including Bushwheels. I had to get a field approval so we could run an 8.50 tire on a wheel that was approved for a31" Bushwheel. :crazyeyes: I think Bill told me they have since revised that.

I'm running 8.50s on my standard wheels/brake setup for a 7GCAA. the back plate is close and will rub the tire if the pressure is too low. The guy who has the 8.50 STC for my airplane says to use the air specialty tires because the profile is better for this issue.

The problem you run into with the brake is that if you space the brake disc away from the tire then you will hit the gear leg with the disc. So to fix this issue you should get the scout axle which you can do from american champion. this moves the wheel out some from the gear leg and allows you to use bigger brakes too.

Be sure to get the PN# 2-2296 Scout Axle not the STOCK scout axle as it is set up for the 8.50x6 wheel not the 6.00x6 wheel 8)

Just confirmed that ABI 199-62 6.00 x 6 double puck wheels and brakes are approved by ACA for use with Scout Axle 2-2296, 1-5038 axle nut, and 1-10334 spacer on both 7 series and 8 series.
Be sure to get the PN# 2-2296 Scout Axle not the STOCK scout axle as it is set up for the 8.50x6 wheel not the 6.00x6 wheel 8)

Back