Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: tools, jigs, fixtures, and other neat stuff

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce
    My newest tool is a sheetrock hanger used to install wings. Finally tried it out today. Made getting the strut bolts in real easy because I could crank the dihedral up or down very small amounts to line thinks up perfectly and I didn't have to have someone holding the tip up till their arms ached.
    i saw a guy show up and remove wings from a 172 outside on ramp by himself with one of those....

I was quite impressed and scared at the same time!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use this tool to tap a drilled hole for a PK screw. It is made from a coupling nut, piece of rod and a long PK screw brazed in the end.

Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Leading edge skin tools designed by Dakota Cub.
    is it possible to post some dimensions for those?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the wing lift idea. Can't stand the complaining my 13 year old does everytime I ask him to do that job!! As a bonus, the wing lift won't want to go to a friends house when I need it most!

Great stuff, guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Made this Piston Pin "press" in college....

It is simply an aluminum block with a stainless steel band. The screw is made from screw stock.

I made a bronze bushing out of hex stock because I did not want the screw to operate against the aluminum. Plus I can change out the bushing if the bronze threads go out.

I originally used a plastic cap on the end of the screw and a plastic insert to protect the piston. I discarded both and made this pin "pusher" out of an old piston pin plug. Works much better than the plastic.

Here it is in action removing a stuck piston pin on a 0-235 Lycoming....This is much better than using a hammer and drift pin.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    When my engine stand is not being used, we bolt on this piece of plywood and use it as a tool table for minor project's.....like installing new mag's and carburetor work on this J-3.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Using a piece of scrap angle to install bungees.

(clicking on the pic loads a larger version.)

Knock a hole in the metal channel so the strut can fit through, then slide a screw driver through the bolt hole to keep it in place. Next take a piece of scrap rope (3/8" braided seems to work best) and make a loop to catch the bungee. Start stretching the bungee using the hoist, you might find it easier if you spread the rope (black hammer in pic). Once you've got the bungee over the ears, release the hoist pressure, cut the rope and use the hoist to pull the rope free of the bungee. When you've got the strut off the airplane, use a piece of chain to hold the airplane up. Just be sure to use bolts and not drift pins.

It's nice, because one guy can do the entire job in about an hour. There is no real grunt work; the hoist picks up the airplane while you remove the struts and insert the chain and the hoist stretches the bungee. No lever to spring back, and no screw drivers to damage the bungees. It pulls evenly on both sides of the bungee. It's safe for you, the strut, bungee and the airplane. And it only cost's a piece of rope.

nkh

Post Thanks / Like

tools, jigs, fixtures, and other neat stuff

I used Mike's idea for a u-channel forming tool but did not have a spare forklift fork to bend the channel over so I came up with this. I used 3/8" square stock and shimmed it with a razor blade before I welded the top & bottom halves together. I ground down the 3/8" angle so the u-channel just slips over easily and ground 2 different radius's for bending profiles. Sand this face nice and smooth so tool marks are not hammered into the channe and you are in business.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of
    that comes from bad judgment. will rodgers

"Anyone who would give up liberty for safety deserves neither" Ben Franklin

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is one of my favorite tools. It is a Chicago Pneumatic CP0351 - Alligator Jaw Rivet Squeezer with a 9.125 inch reach. Almost all of the riveting in the interior, boot cowl, etc for our Super Cub was made with this tool. Once the rivet sets are shimmed to create the correct squeeze, you can rivet all day long and each squeeze turns out perfectly. These riveters can be bought new for about $2000 BUT they have been around for decades and are available on eBay, Oshkosh Flymarket and other places in rebuildable condition for about $300 to $400. Rebuild seal kits are available. Mine required disassembly and rebuilding (beware of the loose needle bearings that might end up on the floor). The hard steel jaws on mine were a little rusty so I cleaned them up and reblued them. I had an old engine stand so I used it as the base and welded up some rectangular tubes to mount the squeezer. The pedal is one of those $10 Go Cart brake pedals that are widely available. All the other parts in the push cable system were custom made. The bracket holding the squeezer in place is a 4 inch exhaust pipe clamp from Fleet Farm with some shrink tubing around it.
    Besides using it for normal riveting, I created a tool to make the indentations required around the flat head Lion fasteners in the lower cowl. That tool set consists of an SM214 flat rivet set machined with a 0.250 hole in it. I pressed an MS20470AD-8-10 rivet (.250 dia, .625 long) into the SM214. The matching set is an SM200-47010 normally used for a .312 dia MS20470 (AN470) rivet. With this setup, I can create the indentations needed for the lower cowl fasteners as the test pieces show.
    Darrel

Post Thanks / Like
    siting in hot tub thinking of an unholy marriage of 180Marty's Idea(clamping style) and qsmx440's idea, lathe quick change tool post.....

think it will work great!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: tools, jigs, fixtures, and other neat stuff

Quote Originally Posted by gpepperd
    I used Mike's idea for a u-channel forming tool but did not have a spare forklift fork to bend the channel over so I came up with this. .....
    very cool...

I have a new way in video above....

I also no longer have the forklift, was just keeping it stored warm inside for my landlord(s).... now its getting taken apart to become parts of an electric truck someone is building near by I guess

anyone find the link yet to thread here that this was based on, guy in tenn or kentucky making window channels for wagaero?

Post Thanks / Like
    Darrel,

I would not expect anything less from you. always amazed.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, this is a great thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin
    By the way, this is a great thread.
    still wanting more people to stop being shy and share more...

come on we don't bite hard!

I know darrel has more stuff as does steve P, dave C, brian, etc... show your stuff

we will all learn...

Post Thanks / Like
    Skup-

When I get to AK I want to come over and see your toys

I have not made any cool tools lately but over the past year and a half I have taught myself how to run a CNC mill. Its not as easy as I thought it was.

instrument panel:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_2CuH3hJw2t4/St...0/P1010505.JPG

Part I designed and cut....this is for a trade show that we took a camera to a week after I cut the parts, there are 2 halves that need to match up, they fit to some other parts that I designed and had another vendor cut.

This is the camera:

Post Thanks / Like
    Our engine had been majored by The master, Larry Cassem, who could assemble one of these 0-320s in his sleep. I had new baffling from Randy Ruppert from North Dakota. This was all ready to go then I decided to have Darrell Bolduc run the engine at his shop across the airport (KANE). However, the only test cowl that Darrell had required that I remove the baffling. I thought "BS" I've spent too much time to disassemble all this stuff just for a test. Sooooo, I built a test cowl that would fit on my baffling without screwing up the paint. Here it is.
    Darrel

Post Thanks / Like
    I felt that the way to make brake lines was to maximize the hard line length (so the pedal would be firm) which led to having short hoses at the top of the gear legs. The question was -- how long should the lines be so that in the worse case -- if the gear failed, it would all fold up to bang against the struts without pulling the brake lines apart and making things even worse. Here is the fixture I made to make sure the hoses were not too short, not too long but (as Goldilocks said) JUST RIGHT.
    Darrel

Post Thanks / Like
    Shortly after N18SY was restored, we had a problem with the right gear. I didn't want to try to lift the SC from the ceiling of the hangar because the hangar structure is a typical pole barn with a pretty weak structure.
    So, I built a gantry (my friends say it is a gallows). The cheapest way to lift things is with $20 trailer tongue jacks from Fleet Farm, so I used six of them -- four to roll the gantry around and two to temporarily lift the plane until 3/8th bolts could be inserted to assure the structure would be safely pinned in place. Lifting was through straps on the engine mount -- worked great. We were underneath it at times so I was glad we had a fool proof way to keep the 1200 lb plane securely "up there". A more talented person would have welded this up out of scrap steel in a jiffy.
    Darrel

Post Thanks / Like
    Darrel, That gantry is a work art, very cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Darrel, If you ever get board at your place I have many projects for you here in Texas.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Darrel can we assume that you are retired

I was going to post my favorite custom tools but I can never find all 3 hammers at the same time

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, very retired. When I showed up at Darrell Bolduc's shop with the test cowl mounted on my engine, Darrell just shook his head and said "you obviously don't have enough to keep you busy".
    Another Darrell Bolduc statement -- the engine was to run on a stand out in the open air. Darrell, Larry Cassem and I were standing pretty close to it just as the operator was about to crank it up for the first time. I asked Darrell how far away we should stand. He replied "Depends on how far you think the parts will fly".

Thanks for your comments Tim & Steve. I'll head for Texas right away.
    Darrel

Post Thanks / Like
    Darrel, If you ever get board at your place I have many projects for you here in Texas.
    That wood gantry................T, T, Too much time on my hands!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    for got this one on the fabric patches stuff on page one.... for when you have two round rings close together like on wings, adjust to fit over them then trace onto your patch material....

neat stuff everybody, keep them coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have to keep this thread alive - here is my fuselage tail mount jig. Uses a 3/4" extension and a universal welded to a metal plate. Bolts onto tailwheel spring holes. Has two positions - high to allow complete rolls, low for just 135 degrees each way. Front mount is a cross made with 4 6ft 2x4's.

Post Thanks / Like

seaplane dolly 1320toPK3500

Post Thanks / Like
    Aerodon, I see you have a Univair fuselage.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: seaplane dolly 1320toPK3500

Quote Originally Posted by Cub Amigo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTs3VDWWI68
    Way cool.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Nope, that is an Airframes widebody L21 fuselage in the stand, and a Piper fuselage behind it.

Aerodon

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, they are doing the diagonals at the bottom longerons just like Univair. I wonder why they deviated from how Piper did it?
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder why they deviated from how Piper did it?
    Pretty tight fit to get the tig torch in there the way Piper had things fitted. Gas welding was probably easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 180Marty
    I wonder why they deviated from how Piper did it?
    Pretty tight fit to get the tig torch in there the way Piper had things fitted. Gas welding was probably easier.
    i vote the same....

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are kidding right?
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    All this makes me long for the skills I never had nor am capeable of... neat stuff
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Aerodon, I see you have a Univair fuselage.
    Hmmmmmm,,, wonder what Pierce knows,,,

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this guy might give darrel a run for his money in engineered wood working things...

http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-galler...4.photogallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh My! That wagon is too cool.

Has anyone out there built a gas powered Margarita mixer? I've seen two of them at our airport over the years. The last one I saw had twin engines, two mixers and a throttle quadrant from a twin engine plane. So -- anyone make one? I think the engines come from a weed eater. I think I'm going to need one.
    Darrel

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never seen one Darrel but I could go for a Margarita right now....

Post Thanks / Like
    I found the Twin Engine Margarita Mixer today in the hangar where guys are working on Sawbones, the Seafury Racer.
    I hope this meets Mike's criteria for Neat Stuff.
    The engines come from weed eaters & the throttle quandrant comes from a Lockheed Lodestar. The throttle controls work and the engines are shut down with the mag switches. They intended to hook the mixture controls up to the choke but never got around to it.
    Darrel

Post Thanks / Like
    They need to talk to Wilbur about those wimpy looking blenders they are using. Anybody got pictures of Wilbur's water jug/garbage disposal blender that John Mead modified with a blow dryer motor for proper cooling?
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers