• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tools, jigs, fixtures, and other neat stuff

Speaking of bushwheels, I had to move the Rans S-7S into my shop the other day (18.5' wide door) and with a couple Harbor Freight car dollies and the Kubota's fork attachment, it was a piece of cake.

Attachments

• IMG_20170726_090051634_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170726_090051634_HDR.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 295
Found some cool tools at Oshkosh. Always need to cut a tube in some hard to reach place, this ratcheting tubing cutter worked good on the demo table, thought it was worth $8.
20170731_101339.jpg

And the Apex bit ratchet that I have that I got from Matco but they don't sell anymore. A German tool company had one for $30, now if I can remember who wanted one that was here recently.
20170731_104421.jpg

Found a need for a smaller Grypshon mat than the one I bought at Sun & Fun the year before last and they had one for $35. I really like these things because they don't slide nor let your tools slide and they don't scratch paint. This will fit well on the boot cowl forward of the windshield.
20170731_104642.jpg

Attachments

• 20170731_101339.jpg
    20170731_101339.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 2,082
  • 20170731_104421.jpg
    20170731_104421.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2,170
  • 20170731_104642.jpg
    20170731_104642.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 2,199
Pretty cool, now I know why my older than dirt rivet guns still work. Dirt simple. That guy is a riot as well.

I had a screw that had been epoxied into a wooden wing tip bow. I could not budge it with a screwdriver so I decided to touch the end of the screw head with my soldering gun to heat it up a little. After the application of a little heat the screw came out easily.

I've used JB WELD epoxy (available anywhere, that's important) to an embarrassing degree for years for all kinds of airplane related things, and yeah, the heat gun is my go to tool when I want to UN JB WELD something.... 400 degrees I think.

On a related subject, I always carry a roll of pipe wrap tape, available only at a good whole type plumbing supply house, Lowes or the Home Depot won't have it. It's used by well pump setters to secure the electrical cable to the well drop pipe, that's how it came to my attention anyway. 2", easy to work with, sunlight resistant, and sticks real well. Best of all, unlike duct tape, it peels off clean. It's like a heavy gauge 2" wide roll of electrical tape, but better. It is of course great for patching fabric also.

This is for sale on BS. Never saw one like this

watermark.jpg

Glenn

Looks like a rear controls delete, well done. I like the rudder pedals on on top of the floor board.

Something for your bench

Hello all, Pretty new on here but not new to aviation, been wrenching on heavy aircraft mostly here in Fairbanks starting in 1977. Toss in a few years of GA in the middle of all that and I hope I picked up a trick or two. This ones odd enough I thought someone might find it useful. Normal day here one day a couple years ago at Everts Air Cargo, late summer, building maintenance guys doing some plumbing refurb stuff in my shop and there was a need to abandon a 4" ABS sewer pipe that went into the concrete floor. They Sawzall cut it off flush and then proceeded to pump it full of spray can single part foam. Normal stuff. They finish up, I go about my business, go home after work. Work resumes the next morning, I show up. Time to roll the TIG welder back into place against the wall where the work was done. Fine except for the softball sized glob of now hardened foam sticking up out of the old pipe. No problem. I grabbed a bare hacksaw blade and slice it off flush. Eyeball the trash can and then it hits me. Don't like to waste things, pack rat forever, love multi purpose anything.
Picture pretty self explanatory. Short partially used welding rod was the real first use but it has blossomed from there. Straws from aerosol cans, scissors, my Welper pliers, pens, pencils, drill bits, you get the idea. Always a place to put the items that are generally cluttering up the bench.
Hope this makes a difference! Oz

Attachments

• IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 200
This is one of my favorite gadgets when doing fabric work. It is simply a pinking machine. These are antiques and are occasionally on eBay, but they need to be sharp and rust free on the cutter wheel. There are many with oddball cutters which you don’t want.

I can cut dollar patches in seconds. Make any reinforcement patch with smooth lines.

There is currently a good one one eBay like mine; and appears in good condition. The cutter size should match most 1/8 th inch conventional pinking shears.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-PI...616417?hash=item4b2c3b13e1:g:7~MAAOSwDxFZ4mUR

I am guessing it won’t last long now. Just in time for Christmas....

Attachments

• C21A511F-E35D-48D8-BC79-77DB48251959.jpg
    C21A511F-E35D-48D8-BC79-77DB48251959.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 158
  • F2DDE05F-97B3-4B78-800A-78A2DA81ED0B.jpg
    F2DDE05F-97B3-4B78-800A-78A2DA81ED0B.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 736ADC45-97F1-43E1-9ED0-ED0D20DB58BF.jpg
    736ADC45-97F1-43E1-9ED0-ED0D20DB58BF.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 161
Is it possible to get the cutters resharpened if necessary?

Don’t know about that; but when I got mine it had a small rough spot and i used a flat knife sharpening stone and held it against the wheel while turning the crank. I also used the stone to clean up the lower anvil which needs to be smooth and flat. It there is any rust depressions in the anvil it wont cut well. Mine worked well after that.

Ask the sellers to test against cotton fabric for at least 4 inches to see how all parts of the wheel cut. If it will cut clean with cotton then you will not have any problem with Ceconite.

The ones I marked look as good or better then the one i have. Its always a bit of a gamble......

I needed a spray booth for spray painting my wings so I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a portable car tent which is 19'X10'. I then put it up in my shop and added sheet plastic sides and ends. I used a fan with a filter to blow air into it to slightly pressurize it with an outflow filter on the other end. An electric space heater will bring it up to temp fairly quickly and then turn it off. It only took about 1/2 day to set it up and will be reusable for future projects.
IMG_1253.JPGIMG_1256.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 3,166
  • IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 3,084
As mentioned Sensenich uses them, and I really do like them.
It’s a bit odd getting comfy when torquing bolts using them, for as the bolt head turns the split washer increases the torque, and then suddenly the torque drops as the washer “drops” over the next step. But when you do get to the torque wanted, it does seem very definitive.

Removing is the same way - takes torque to start and the washers click down until pretty low torque is on them.

Pb

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I found this company just up the road from my hangar. https://weldtables.com/

Their tables are laser cut and have a grid of support under the top. They ship flat (UPS) and you weld them together. Flat enough for the work I do.

Subscribe to their email list. They frequently offer discounts.

weld table.jpg

Attachments

• weld table.jpg
    weld table.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 546
Back