• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tools, jigs, fixtures, and other neat stuff

mike,
I know that you are only trying to emphasize a point. Some here may take you literally. If you had a Cub fuselage with this fictitious one foot discrepancy, there would be a good possibility that there would be some funny flight characteristics. If the fuselage had some formers which were used to form the final shape then I would agree with your one foot as being a possibility. On a Cub, no.

9k=

Strange things have been done before and they flew just fine. It won't let me post the pic but google up BV 141.

Web

Will have to try. My spot welder has no control for heat but maybe I can on off it to get the result. Or plug it into a temp controller and put a probe near weld..... Sounds fun.

Mike: Look around for an old "camera developer" timer. I don't know the actual name of the timer but they were used for developing pictures maybe for a light or something. They have tenths and seconds settings. Plug a heavy duty 120 vac relay into it and control your spot welder with the relay. I got mine for 5 bucks at good will. Spot welder is the Harbor Freight 150 dollar cheapee. That welding aluminum trick works real good and you will tear the aluminum before breaking the weld if done right. One thing I will add to Cruiser160's description is just before welding brush real good with a stainless steel wire brush (from welding supply store). Never use that brush for anything else. Wipe with acetone and then weld. The only downside you can't place welds (spots) to close together.

I assembled mine in a box with relay output to 120 v receptacle and find it useful for many projects.

Last edited:
Mike: Look around for an old "camera developer" timer. I don't know the actual name of the timer but they were used for developing pictures maybe for a light or something. They have tenths and seconds settings. Plug a heavy duty 120 vac relay into it and control your spot welder with the relay. I got mine for 5 bucks at good will. Spot welder is the Harbor Freight 150 dollar cheapee. That welding aluminum trick works real good and you will tear the aluminum before breaking the weld if done right. One thing I will add to Cruiser160's description is just before welding brush real good with a stainless steel wire brush (from welding supply store). Never use that brush for anything else. Wipe with acetone and then weld. The only downside you can't place welds (spots) to close together.

I assembled mine in a box with relay output to 120 v receptacle and find it useful for many projects.

thanks!,
I have 2 timers, relays and all from another project already :) somewhere...... will have to give it a whirl
hmmmm, actually the relay is hooked to a digital temp controller already... hmmm might already have what I need...

so.... why not just stainless tips on welder, with wider foot print?

Last edited:
thanks!,
I have 2 timers, relays and all from another project already :) somewhere...... will have to give it a whirl
hmmmm, actually the relay is hooked to a digital temp controller already... hmmm might already have what I need...

so.... why not just stainless tips on welder, with wider foot print?

I wondered about stainless tips also? Maybe the wider footprint of a sheet keeps air out our maybe tips would work fine? Perhaps to keep the welder multi use? I don't understand how it works- it just does.

While TIG welding thicker aluminum I found that the 50 amp breaker was being tripped at the higher power settings required. It was suggested that adding some helium to the argon would increase penetration at a lower power setting. I made this mixing Y and hooked up a helium tank. The amount added could be changed by different flow rates. The addition of helium did seem to help.
DSC00620.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00620.JPG
    DSC00620.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 190
If it's super thick just run straight helium. Or cheat and torch heat the part to about 250*. If you're doing lots of the heavy stuff you can also buy a premix bottle of 50/50 argon - helium mix

View attachment 22026We just got one of these heat guns at work and they sure are nice. I think they would work for covering. The temp is very adjustable from nothing to more than you want. It seems like the heat stays right where you set it. Just turn the dial on the back.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ci_sku=47502&gclid=CKXnsPrDocgCFc4WHwodCZUGLQ

this has been the best one I have used around the shop since 1997 and still ain't broke it or had a bad heat element... unlike those red ones that you might burn up an element just looking at them wrong...

Bosch 1942 14.3 Amp Heat Gun

Ray Stits would turn over in his grave at that above picture....

A 1/4 ton high quality chain comalong, small enough to fit in a tool box! I got this as a birthday present this year, and it's small size makes it extremely handy to have around, I love this thing.

I agree. That picture is of a big name shop in Anchorage building the Alaskan Airmen Association give away Super Cub.

That picture in post #431 reminds me of Larry the cable guy, "git R done". Wonder how many other short cuts were used?

Know the guy and his cover jobs are top notch. Maybe he has a infrared thermometer implanted in his eyeball because hes good. Probably doing a little pre shrink action or was just really nervous with SP taking pictures of him and wanted to give a show.... Anyhow sometimes the crescent wrench works just fine. :)

Any part numbers or such on that unit?

It's label says : HARRINGTON INDUSTRIES CODE: (model, I guess) LX300 1/4 ton The handle is just barely out of the picture, real short in other words, the entire thing easily fits in a nail belt. PRODUCT OF JAPAN, so you know it's good, not Harbor Freight crap.

A past girlfriend and I used to have fun with her purse: I'd load her up for instance with a pair of cleco pliers, or maybe a fan spacer tool or both, something odd looking and unknown to any except plane people, and she'd wait until someone asked her for a match or a pen or whatever (she was a bartender, a professional stand up comedian on the side, plus an ex city cop) and she'd root around through all the usual girlie stuff and leave people to wonder just what the heck these odd looking tools were doing in her purse, maybe some kind of eyelash curler?! This little comalong would have been perfect for that!

It's label says : HARRINGTON INDUSTRIES CODE: (model, I guess) LX300 1/4 ton The handle is just barely out of the picture, real short in other words, the entire thing easily fits in a nail belt. PRODUCT OF JAPAN, so you know it's good, not Harbor Freight crap.

A past girlfriend and I used to have fun with her purse: I'd load her up for instance with a pair of cleco pliers, or maybe a fan spacer tool or both, something odd looking and unknown to any except plane people, and she'd wait until someone asked her for a match or a pen or whatever (she was a bartender, a professional stand up comedian on the side, plus an ex city cop) and she'd root around through all the usual girlie stuff and leave people to wonder just what the heck these odd looking tools were doing in her purse, maybe some kind of eyelash curler?! This little comalong would have been perfect for that!

You might be Dyslexic like me :oops:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...GTON+INDUSTRIES+CODE:++LX300+1/4+ton&_sacat=0

Glenn

Now that there is weird. You and Glenn would make a good pair

If you go to Amazon and search for "Mini Ratchet Lever Chain Hoist" a pretty good selection pops up. Here's one that caught my eye.
51bcge5YDuL._SX425_.jpg

Attachments

• 51bcge5YDuL._SX425_.jpg
    51bcge5YDuL._SX425_.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 216
I'm working on my hangar and needed to lift 12' sheets of 5/8" firecode sheetrock into place and hold them til I was able to get a few screws into it. I have a regular drywall lift, but is is barely able to lift a piece of 1/2" to an 8' ceiling. (cheap chinese stuff that bent and broke and has been patched many times.)

I repurposed my engine hoist by extending the boom with a piece of 2" square tube and welded some tabs to that to hold a frame that would support the drywall on edge. A supplemental arm to keep the drywall roughly vertical and I was ready to roll. (or rock)

The frame is beefier than needed, but I have two of them on hand. I hook a bungee onto the top of the sheet and the c clamp to keep the board from tipping prematurely.

attachment.php
attachment.php

The frame does extend beyond the legs, So I tested it for upset by raising the boom and hanging on the frame. No problem with my 200 lbs, so I figured it would be okay with a 120lb piece of drywall.

Wayne

Attachments

• P_20151210_112659_1_psmall.jpg
    P_20151210_112659_1_psmall.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,218
  • PC220177small.jpg
    PC220177small.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 2,212
Haha just fish mouth the first half-dozen tubes. That square wheel gets pretty rounded pretty quick

I used a standard dressing wheel to shape my wheel. I pre-cut most of my tubes with my 4-1/2" grinder first and finished on the wheel. Any tube .049 or less I cut with Aviation Snips first. I was surprised how easy it was to cut the tubes with the snips and the angle grinder.
Marty57

I made some heavy equipment movers. The axles are 1/2" drill rod which I turned down to 12mm in the area of the bearings and cut the clip groove. I then heat treated them in a furnace, water hardened, and then tempered them. I then welded them to 1/2" steel plate and then installed the 12mm ball bearings with the retaining clip. The idea was to make a low profile set of dollies that could support a lot of weight and be placed under the machine with mimimal lifting from a long pry bar and pivot. The center of the plate has a set screw so that it could be retracted or deployed to get a small bite into whatever was placed on top so as not to slide off. It could also act as a pivot point.
DSC00632.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00632.JPG
    DSC00632.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 195
grumble!.... Google's killing off Picasa and killed off the embedded pictures i used to post here... will have to edit these(but probably can't because of SJ's 24 hour rule) to point to the new location of the images....:oops:

I am building an instrument panel and wanted the upper edge rounded and radiused. I made two templates out of MDF wood and radiused the top edge of one of them. I clamped the metal between them. As I worked the edge over it wrinkled of course. I then used a shrinking tool to help reduce the wrinkles. I annealed the Aluminum several times by marking with an ink Sharpie and then burning off the ink with a torch. As I neared the end I used a lead slap hammer to smooth the wrinkles and do the final adaptation. The slap hammer is just made from sheets of lead. It worked suprisingly well. Excess material was cut off as needed.
DSC00635.JPGDSC00638.JPG
DSC00637.JPGDSC00639.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00635.JPG
    DSC00635.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC00638.JPG
    DSC00638.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC00637.JPG
    DSC00637.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 219