• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tools, jigs, fixtures, and other neat stuff

Few more pictures starting to use it. And had to let girlfriend try it with her beads. Think I’ll need a second one.

Andonstar 5 inch Screen 1080P... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076XYRCYM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

View attachment 45840View attachment 45841View attachment 45842View attachment 45843View attachment 45844View attachment 45845

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

About 20 years ago, my dad took an old handheld video camera and an old commodore monitor I gave him and made a device like that so my mom could continue readings with her macular degeneration. It had a wood and metal pipe stand you could move up and down. It was great for getting a close look at things and cost almost nothing, but it did take up a lot more space!

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

im guessing he meant fab. adam a close to level floor and 2 purpose duty saw horses work just fine. built mine on sawhorses and a table never even entered my mind. just wanted to add i just screwed a piece of plywood to the back of one of them for the washout, after things were to the set together point.

Last edited:
Logical, I have used the term wing build table so I did not catch the needed correction.

Table I have used for many years, two sheets of ¾ MDF over good 16' 1x6 framework with a skin of thin ply on the bottom. The framework was three 1 by's.
One edge of the table had some overhang, the other was flush to allow simple attachment of jigs.
The table was hinged on it's legs so you can tip it up to be vertical when needed.
I will be building a new one soon and might go with 1x8s.
Image quality is not great here since these are Polaroid shots from decades ago.
AC03.jpg AC04.jpg AC05.jpg

Attachments

• AC03.jpg
    AC03.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 192
  • AC04.jpg
    AC04.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 270
  • AC05.jpg
    AC05.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 240
Sorry fab table is correct. Autocorrect got me. I was thinking about the saw horse plan so I’m glad I’m not crazy on that one.

Here is my version of a long flat table. I build 'em with a pair of those built up floor beams and use particle board top which I can change out easily and cheap. At least two reasons I do it this way, 1. There is no such thing as flat plywood 2.There is no such thing as straight dimensional lumber. All opinion of course.

Attachments

• jigtable.jpg
    jigtable.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 132
  • jigtable2.jpg
    jigtable2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 148
Cub junkie,
i agree with your statement of there isn’t any wood that is flat or true. My other plan was to build a 36” wide x 20’ steel table on casters and be able to square and shim everything to be as level as the shop floor. When it go to wing building I could cut ply wood to lay on top.

I also made a work table just like Cub Junkie’s except I made adjustable feet to level it to the world instead of the floor. I used it for building floats and a fuselage. I liked the wood surface so you can screw fixtures to it for holding the parts in place for welding and fabrication. I found saw horses worked fine for the wings since the spars are solid and straight.

When I poured my floor slab in the shop, I knew where the main bench would be, so I set J bolts in the concrete while it set up. Then I framed up what amounted to bench height walls, bolted them down, then sheeted the vert walls with 3/4" ply. Then I shot in the final top surface with a transit and a straight edge, flat/flat, and it has a replaceable top surface to account for wear. I always like to extend the top of any bench a few inches past the sides, in my case (solid as the thing is) this allows me to clamp on and use the bench as a deadman for anything that needs to be steadied or pulled. A smaller rollaround bench built at the same exact height, is a companion piece. Built in drawers on one side, of course. And it sits away from the wall, not up against it, so i can walk 360 around whatever's on it. I got this all built, and realized afterwards it is a dead ringer for the way my father had his shop bench set up.

A few types of benches in my hangar. The first is a 10' section of bowling alley on a steel frame with leveling feet. I can lift it with a floor jack and move it with piano dollys, set it down and re level it anywhere in the shop that has space.
I will be making sets of drawers for the empty space under the top eventually. I used levelers from https://www.jwwinco.com/en-us/home
bowling alley bench.jpg

The second type is lighter weight and transportable thanks to wheels from a Baker scaffold. They can be locked so they don't roll or swivel. The top is a fire door, steel in this picture. I have some wood fire doors that I have used two of them on these benches. The heights are the same so they can be butted together and used as a single large surface. I will also make a cabinet and drawers for infill on these.

IMAG0758.jpg

Wayne

Attachments

• bowling alley bench.jpg
    bowling alley bench.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 204
  • IMAG0758.jpg
    IMAG0758.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 212
These WAGO 221 lever lock connectors are handy for roughing in electrical work without committing to a crimp or solder connection. Particularly helpful to me lately for testing audio and RS232 connections. They’re reusable and do no damage to fine stranded wire. Good for 24 through 12 AWG.

I believe these are also permitted for use in residential AC wiring in place of the typical twist wire nuts. There are some cool videos on youtube showing destructive testing by overloading with hundreds of amps. Surprisingly strong physical connection too.

I don’t know if I would trust them for a long term installation in a high vibration environment, but they’re good enough and cheap enough for ground based testing.

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    513.5 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 232
Electrical split bolts are great for temp rigging of control cables, ski rigging, etc. They hold good, and if you first slip the nicopress on you can crimp it before releasing the s bolt, which won't deform or hurt the cable. Old hang gliding/ultralight building trick, which are nothing BUT cable, I used to buy 3/32" 7x7 by the multiple thousand foot reels.

Electrical split bolts are great for temp rigging of control cables, ski rigging, etc. They hold good, and if you first slip the nicopress on you can crimp it before releasing the s bolt, which won't deform or hurt the cable. Old hang gliding/ultralight building trick, which are nothing BUT cable, I used to buy 3/32" 7x7 by the multiple thousand foot reels.
Can you post a picture of what you're talking about? I've never heard of "electrical split bolts" before, and I'm having a hard time figuring this one out...
Thanks!

Buddy using this to temp change glare shield mounted GPS antenna from white to black.
DE0D84B0-F84B-4B61-BC1A-D17137B565F7.jpeg

Attachments

• DE0D84B0-F84B-4B61-BC1A-D17137B565F7.jpeg
    DE0D84B0-F84B-4B61-BC1A-D17137B565F7.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 238
I have found this tool to be helpful. It is quiet, powerful, reversible, and well made. 22676E35-F204-4409-8DE5-657E4081EF5E.jpg

Attachments

• 22676E35-F204-4409-8DE5-657E4081EF5E.jpg
    22676E35-F204-4409-8DE5-657E4081EF5E.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 208
I needed a clamp to hold a cable so I could install a Nicopress. The available cable vises are very expensive and you need four hands to get everything aligned while holding the whole thing steady without the vise, so I made this out of some scrap 1/2" square tube brazed to a piece of 14 gauge strap, a 3/8" hardware store bolt and nut.

View attachment 17970 View attachment 17971 View attachment 17972 View attachment 17973

I used a chisel to form a small indent on the inside flat of the square tube to hold the cable. The bolt has a slight hollow in the end from the thread forming process. I only tighten it finger tight and it has seemed adequate to hold everything together while squeezing the clamp. The vise is a 2" Wilton.

There is a bit of room to put a tab or link in the eye also.

Wayne

Thank You !

Needed a tool cart. Looked and looked, but really didn’t know what I wanted. Found one on Amazon Prime so I gave it a shot. Liked it so much I bought a second one. Handy in the hangar, for sure.

IMG_0180.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    368.6 KB · Views: 227
Just saw CamTo 12’s question. My buddy got the suggestion to use the ArmorAll product from an avionics shop, which apparently use it often with no adverse effects. Don’t know why he didn’t want to use flat black paint.

In my friends case, it was to cover a white GPS antenna added for ADS-B; he didn’t want to mount it externally and run a wire around things.

Needed a tool cart. Looked and looked, but really didn’t know what I wanted. Found one on Amazon Prime so I gave it a shot. Liked it so much I bought a second one. Handy in the hangar, for sure.

View attachment 46357

Own 2 carts and bought 3 more for the avionics shop. Harbor Freight units work for $99, buy the bigger ones from Uline are excellent and worth the money.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Back