• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tools, jigs, fixtures, and other neat stuff

Here is one for the home builders....

I made all my own leading edge skins for the wings, excepting the the last wingtip skin for each side. Those compound curved skin are not easy, and Univair charges $200 per.

IMG_0616.JPG

I used a vacuum press process I learned on Youtube. Look it up for clarification.

Anyway, I made the skins out of .020 2024t3 and that is some springy material. They turned out great. I planned all the skins based on prints. I made them the correct length and width. (a little over on width can give you some play room. Trim later on the wing.)

Get some length of 2" pvc, buy a cover for one end, and a coupler that fits your vacuum for the other. The tube length doesn't matter much. Take a section just smaller than your smallest skin width and drill 20-30 holes into it. You want air to be able to move. A roll or two of GOOD 3M duct tape. I had two kinds and the cheaper stuff would seal the plastic, but not hold the 2024 closed.

Figure your leading edge point. Make a mark on the center of what you'd call the apex of the skin where it fits the wing leading edge. Tape that mark to the 2 inch pvc. Now, lay the trailing edge of both skins (upper n lower) to where they should meet together. NOTE: The top half should always be nearly couple inches longer than bottom. Do your own math like I did. I did this eight months ago.

Tape the sides by the rear corner together as this does a better job of locking the upper and lower than a flat piece on the trailing edge. You're gonna tape that trailing edge too, but experience will show you that your tape will not hold the halves together without those "lock" pieces in place. 2024 wants desperately to stay straight. Honestly, this wasn't always easy, but it did turn out well. Start with the smallest skins first, as they are the easiest. The longest skin has the most bounce back and can be frustrating.

Now tape plastic around the sides of the pvc tube and sides of the skins. You want NO air gaps between the inside of the skin and outside. Make it air tight, cause you're gonna vacuum it.

Once you're sealed, turn on the vacuum and watch it all squeeze in on itself. The skin will form right around the 2" pvc and the rest of the skin will lay flat, upper and lower together. I flatten it, shut off the vacuum to release, turn it on and repeat a couple times to lock that form in.

After you've done it, untape. You should have a nice "L" shaped curved leading edge skin. You're ready for the brake to put spar bends and fit to wing.

Please reference Youtube for videos to clarify the procedure. You can tell this is a "clean" process as I did it in my kitchen area in February.

Somewhere, I have better pics of the process, but can't find them. Notice a couple finished skins next to the vacuum.

Enjoy! This is a money saver for the homebuilder.

That'll be our secret. Actually, it was a cold day, a clean job, and didn't want to sit on the garage or hanger floor with that long pvc tube.

I wished I had better and different pics, but I did want to contribute to the jig/tool forum! Wished I had all these when I started two years ago.

cool spinner2. Homemade, I'm gonna guess?

A guy that does a lot of sheet metal around here has shown me how to use some plexiglass strips to copy blind holes and transfer to the new part. Also works great!

Iflylower said:
cool spinner2. Homemade, I'm gonna guess?

Partially shop made. I used a purchased hole finder for -3 screws and cut it apart where it was spot welded together. I then re-welded those two pieces onto 3 feet long pieces of 1" wide 1/8" thick steel. One of the 3' pieces has an offset in it to allow a gap between the two so it will easily slide over the floorboards. The duct tape is just to prevent scratching of finished parts. It worked very well.

was just in Reeve AirMotive here in anch (907)272-8522 and saw this sitting on counter...

photo.JPG

made by a guy here on birchwood field..
for timing TCM engines just like you do on a Lycoming... slip this over the proper 2 prop nuts and then sight down top of case just like you do on a lycoming... for those engines with not marks on pulley.....or to verify the pulley marking(s)...

I just thought that was neat...

looks so much faster than that darn sticky wirlly pointer timing thing!!!

mike mcs repair said:
cubflier said:
Mike - Keep um comin. For a Mike you sure know how to Jerry rig.

Jerry

running out of pictures for now...

hopefully you others will add you stuff to this thread!!

Mike, are you sure you're not a luthier?
A luthier is someone who builds jigs, presumably to build guitars, but really the goal is to impress other luthiers. Naturally, I have dozens of ingenious guitar-making jigs myself, in case anyone would like to be impressed.

:D

You are a freaking genius - I LOVE this stuff!

1980 degrees of bends in a 20' stick of 5/8 .049 Stainless tube. It took about an hour of CAD to get the layout for the jig. I had to modify the bender to attach it to the jig.

[/img]

This is the jig.

Don, That is very ingenious but what is it for? Sorry for my ignorance. Thas is a great thread. Greg

I have to add four more twenty footers to complete this coil. Ill post my progress and tell you what it is for when I’m done.

I needed to dimple some rivet holes but the formed leg in the part was too tall to allow my rivet squeezer to work. So I made a couple of adaptors to accept dimple dies for a Whitney hand punch. Plenty of clearance now over the angle.

DSCN1554.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1554.JPG
    DSCN1554.JPG
    788.2 KB · Views: 389
to sharpen tip of a double fluted unibit,

set drill doctor to where I marked 'U' and sharpen as normal, make sure bit is gripped tight in chuck!!!!!!!! :eek:ops

(will sorta work for a single flute one, but you end up grind second half by hand.. )

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1280.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 276
Another Bungee Tool

I used a press with self made adapters. Important things are the steel tube (lose fit) on top of the hydrasorb and a wood bar for centering on the lower side to avoid the whole thing shooting out when one side of the bungee slides on. When the press is down I use a hammer to slide the adapters about a half inch inwards, so the ears on the hydrasorb are below the adapers with the bungee cords. Then I slide out the two steel rods to let the cords move on the gear (see second picture). I was trying to make a tool which I found in the forum here but couldn´t make it work with the hydrasorbs - so I came up with this.

IMG_0764edit2.jpg

IMG_0766edit2.jpg

well, not airplane.. but a cool wheel winch!

but too cool!! so simple..

looks like they need some help getting this to market, someone should step up, I bet it will do well

watch the WHOLE thing, gets amazing twords end.... so simple!

http://wheelwinch.tumblr.com/

then I see this one too for cars

Last edited:
Got tired of wrestling the family snowblowers ( our son and we own three of the 300 lb beasts) onto our small tilt trailer. So I bought an electric winch at Northern Tool and an 18ah battery from Batteries Plus. Lag screwed to the front of the old trailer, it pulled the snowblower up the tilted bed just fine. I don't know how many blowers could be pulled up before the battery would have to be recharged -- I moved two of them and the battery was still strong. I'll just fully charge it again before the next use.
Darrel
P1120684.JPG
P1120683.JPG
P1120696.JPG
P1120698.jpg

Attachments

• P1120684.JPG
    P1120684.JPG
    987 KB · Views: 254
  • P1120683.JPG
    P1120683.JPG
    780.7 KB · Views: 197
  • P1120696.JPG
    P1120696.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 202
  • P1120698.jpg
    P1120698.jpg
    753.8 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Make your own Fabric Covering Rib-stitch needles

This is probably known by many....except for those who know. After reviewing the price of custom covering needles, Jason Gerard told me to make my own. So, I did, and made a few for others too. Covering needles are all over the map, some $15-20 and more. A basic assortment $50 at Spruce. I made 10 of them for myself and others for $2.

I'll edit and post a picture later.

Go to a welding supply store and purchase a few 36" sticks of 1/8" Stainless welding filler rod. Cut to desired length. 15" - 18" for through the wing. Eight'ish inches for tail and controls. Make a curved needle for wrapping under a rib. Experiment with bending so they'll hook under the next hole.

Pound one end flat on a vice to make a drillable surface. Punch and drill two small holes (1/16+or-). I have two needles that have one hole. And, I don't like them as well. Grind the top of that flat or a slight V to get traction for pushing knots into the fabric. On the opposite end, grind a nice point, then slightly round/dull it so it doesn't catch on the fabric.

Rinse - Repeat.

Good luck.

Trick for getting those tight half rib stitches that don't go through the wing...

Just learned this from DW. I was so impressed, I threatened to move him to speed dial for build questions. I was shaking my head trying to figure out how to rib stitch the top of the wing that's over the flap cove. If you can't stitch through, it's a 6.5 inch gap and that's unacceptable. I couldn't curve a needle to go through a hole, under a rib, and back out a hole 1 inch away. DW told me the trick to tying a half rib knot. Go through the hole into the wing. Route the needle forward to the next hole, same side (3" or whatever the spacing.) Pull out your cord. Go down through the same hole and guide back under the rib and out the opposite hole from your initial start. Pull out the needle and all the cord should flow back into the wing and out that final hole. Works great. I'm done rib stitching.

Trick for getting those tight half rib stitches that don't go through the wing...

Just learned this from DW. I was so impressed, I threatened to move him to speed dial for build questions. I was shaking my head trying to figure out how to rib stitch the top of the wing that's over the flap cove. If you can't stitch through, it's a 6.5 inch gap and that's unacceptable. I couldn't curve a needle to go through a hole, under a rib, and back out a hole 1 inch away. DW told me the trick to tying a half rib knot. Go through the hole into the wing. Route the needle forward to the next hole, same side (3" or whatever the spacing.) Pull out your cord. Go down through the same hole and guide back under the rib and out the opposite hole from your initial start. Pull out the needle and all the cord should flow back into the wing and out that final hole. Works great. I'm done rib stitching.

I glue on the top sheet, shrink it with the 250º iron and then stitch these before putting the bottom sheet on. Then shrink the bottom sheet and back to the top at 350º.

Back