• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Plane crash in Denali Aug 1st.

damn.

Saw it take off from Wolf Lake. It was the nice Fairchile taking off. He had on the jet. It was quite impressive. The crash must have took place about a hour later. That is horrible. Sorry folks.

Re: damn.

articfox said:
Saw it take off from Wolf Lake. It was the nice Fairchile taking off. He had on the jet. It was quite impressive. The crash must have took place about a hour later. That is horrible. Sorry folks.

sad... that confirms it...

I had just been searching c-123 after seeing it mentioned in some of the comments online and emailing the ADN writer that this looked to be the only flying one left in alaska..... and what I found...

http://www.oldprops.ukhome.net/C123 Census.htm

http://www.google.com/search?num=10...ALASKA+99654-9367&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

the plane that went down sunday was a C-123 J model called "Large Marge" a retired military plane from the vietnam war era, the plane was being used to haul a generator from the Mat Su Valley area to the nome area, they flew through the cantwell area to avoid increased traffic due to the air show, There where three men aboard i understand that this and the EAFB crash are related but that is a terrible thing to spend half an article about one crash relating it to another crash when there is a lack of information you do not fill it in with another story you simply say that you don't know more and to postpone it till you know more. no one has been to the crash site to confirm or deny fatalities due to the fire and asinine bureaucracy of the government, being as they have to wait for the NTSB before they can go into the crash site. one of the members of the flight activated his emergency beacon meaning that he survived the crash, you do not wait ten to twelve hours for someone to drive up and identify the plane before looking for survivors when you know that at least one member of the flight made it through. the plane had an engine out and was attempting to land on a road when a turn in the road prevented them from continuing. This is mostly speculation and should not be taken as fact, because all of my information is second or third hand which is unbelievable in itself as my father was on that flight so adn and all of you people commenting on this article can go f*** off

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/08/01/1391108/plane-crashes-in-alaska-national.html#ixzz0vQlZm0Bs

C-123

Doug was this WB? He is a good friend of ours, and from the description of the plane and company sounds like its him. I'm in Thailand and its late in AK so don't want to call back there.

I am so sick. These guys were very special close friends. I have been working with them, and they have been helping me for years. I don't know what to say ----- and am at a loss. Please pray for their family and friends. And please pray for all of us who knew them. I miss them so.

good write up here
http://newsminer.com/view/full_stor...ved-dead?instance=home_news_window_left_top_1

but which plane was it? ??????????????????????
http://www.oldprops.ukhome.net/C123 Census.htm
shows that
N709RR 20158 Stored by Ray Petkow at Wendover Utah/Nevada. Ex-Con Air filming. Registered to All West Freight Inc, Delta Junction, Alaska.
as a plane registered & stored by someone out of delta junction and
N4254H 20052 Flown by Compass Rose, Wasilla, Alaska.
as the flying one, or did they get a second one flying? info from 2009.... or was that n number just nicer with its
History.. N709RR, the same aircraft used in the filming of the movie "ConAir."
http://www.oldwings.nl/content/con_air/con_air.htm

It was "Large Marge" the plane that was in the movie Con Air. The other one that he owns is the plane that was in the movie Dumbo Drop and it's still parked in Delta. The plane at Wendover is just a shell that was used for ground shots and was painted to look the same......it doesn't fly.

Re: C-123

PA12Tray said:
Doug was this WB? He is a good friend of ours, and from the description of the plane and company sounds like its him. I'm in Thailand and its late in AK so don't want to call back there.

Yes..................

Thanks Dough, Rob sent me PM informing me the same....will talk to my Dad later and see if there is anything we can do....I really looked up to WB as a kid growing up and later as a pilot myself.

Heard this morning it was in fact Wild B.
Knowing him like I do, I sure want to hear the rest of the story.

Kinda hard to believe WB is really gone. Just heard him on point 9 a couple days ago too, wish I'd have said hello. :cry:

RB

Both Wild Bill and John Eshleman (co-pilot) were very close friends of mine. I taught them both to fly helicopters and flew with both of them often. John and I talked almost every other day. Both were crazy aviation fanatics like the rest of us, and were always looking to the next "fun" thing.

John almost had his C123 done, and was getting ready for training and test flying later this month. He was getting some extra time in Bills prior to his being done. John told me Friday night he was going to be riding with Bill over the weekend, so last night when word came out it was Bill's plane, I knew John must have been there also.

Bill has been hauling a lot of fuel to Puntilla so we talked daily on the radio on either .9 or "fingers".

John owned Steppers Construction in Wasilla and Wolf Lake Airport. He leaves behind a wonderful wife and kids. Bill also leaves behind a wonderful wife, Barbie.

They were both special friends that come around once in a lifetime. I miss them terribly. Please keep all the family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.
Mark

Sad just sad. The crew and plane will be missed.

Conair lost a crew and Convair 580 on saturday, a C17 lost in Anchorage AK,
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/download/file.php?id=3759

Just a rotten month,

Tailwinds comrades

IMG_1789-1.jpg

IMG_1788-2.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

Wild Bill help a lot of people out in the remote areas. He was one heck of a pilot. Only a mid air or mechanical would have brought him down. I must be getting old but I am starting to count up a lot of friends that have been lost through aviation.

Rest easy my friends.

Cub_Driver

Bill's service is saturday in Delta..........

"Wild Bill" Michel died Aug. 1, 2010, at the age of 61, in an airplane crash at Denali Park.

There will be a celebration of his life at 4 p.m. Saturday at the First Baptist Church in Delta Junction.

He born May 24, 1949, and raised in upstate New York before coming to Alaska in the early '70s at the age of 24.

Wild Bill started doing dirt work, building roads in the Sterling area, but his passion was flying. He piloted his first plane at the age of 15. He flew thousands of hours throughout Alaska, delivering supplies and building airfields in the most remote areas of the state.

He was a man who would do anything for anyone and proved it many times. Wild Bill lived and died doing what he loved best.

He is survived by his wife, Barbie of Delta Junction; stepson, Jamie Foster of Arkansas; stepdaughter, Jodie Ward of Tennessee; stepson, Jesse "Moe" Sheldon of Wasilla; sisters, Rita Marie Dreimiller of New York, Pat Powers of New York and Chris Hachten of New York; brothers, Ed Michel of Florida and Dan Michel of Sterling; seven stepgrandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.

He will be missed by all.

Published in adn.com from August 4 to August 5, 2010

Sorry, I posted this before reading the previous post.

For those who are interested, Wild Bill's memorial service will be in Delta Junction this Saturday the 7th of August at the 1st Baptist Church at 4pm. I don't know the address, but it is on the South side of the Richardson Highway just past the IGA Market when heading towards Fairbanks.

On the following Saturday the 14th of August, there will be a celebration of life for John Eshleman, Wild Bill, and Paul Quartly at Wolf Lake Airport in front of Steppers Construction at 2pm.

See You There
Brian

Heard today he had an engine out. C123 doesn't fly very good with a heavy load, on one engine. Tried to land on road, road curved.
From a good source, but still rumor.

Re: 3 killed in Alaska cargo plane crash on Denali

" I just heard it on very good authority that they were aligned with the park road until the last second when a bus rounded a corner and came into their path. Bus driver thought that a collision was imminent and that they were all goners. Sounds like the plane banked to avoid the oncoming bus and save 40+ lives."

I received this info from someone in area who would rather not be named........ if true it would explain a few things.

Hope it brings some comfort to both friends and family

A celebration of life for Bill, John and Paul at 2 p.m. Aug. 14 at the Wolf Lake Airport in Wasilla.

Wild Bill made an impromptu favor to me that was very much appreciated and really never repaid back in 1998, stashing some fuel for me on a beach down on the Alaska Peninsula, on his way in the 206 to pick up some fishermen from Port Heiden. Simple favor but where he was the only one who could do it. He made my Super Cub trip there to Cape Senivian with my Mom feasible.

The stories others have told of his personal care and capability are one of a kind for sure. His successful nighttime search 100 miles away, also in his 206, for a trio who didn't show up by 10 pm for a Christmas party that he knew should be there.....turns out their 12 skiplane had gone through the ice up to the wing in overflow near an unheated cabin and once off the lake soaked to the skin and freezing they were trying to make it throught the night when Wild Bill showed up, and circled incessantly until all showed their faces at the cabin door.....and he flew back to town and got basically the entire contents of a Fred Meyer in that 206 and returned and bombed them with sleeping bags and food and everything else to make it through the night.....

My thoughts go to all those gathered today in his memory.

Bob Breeden

A wonderful send off for Wild Bill in Delta yesterday. Then a gathering at his place and a couple of nice fly overs with a missing man formation. Even met some great supercub.org folks.

The stories and pictures at the service were wonderful. The family is so appreciative of the support and love from around the state.

Another send off for all three, Wild Bill, John Eshleman, and Paul at the Wolf Lake Airport next Saturday at 2:00. It should be a fun gathering. Planned for in front of Eshleman's Steppers Construction office, next to his 123.

Mark

Farewell Bill, you were the best!

Thank you Bill for all your help!

WildBill3.jpg

Farewell for now Bill, you will never be forgotten! Never!

WildBill2.jpg

'Wild Bill’ Michel, who died in Denali plane crash, mourned
by Molly Rettig / mrettig@newsminer.com

FAIRBANKS — The plane crash in Denali National Park and Preserve last week cost three men their lives. It also cost Alaska one of its legendary Bush pilots, miners a crucial supplier and the aviation community an icon.

Bill “Wild Bill” Michel, 61, ran All West Freight Inc. out of Delta Junction and was killed when his Fairchild C-123 crashed in Denali on Aug. 1. Also killed in the crash were John Eshleman, 52, of Wasilla and Paul Quartly, 66, of Wasilla.

“Bill’s passing has left a huge void,” said Dave Redgrave, logistics manager for Alaska Earth Sciences, a mineral exploration company in Anchorage. Redgrave has been a client and friend of Michel’s for about five years. “We relied on him for fuel and getting it done in some of the worst conditions across the state,” he said.

Michel was known in the mining and aviation communities in Alaska for being able to fly anything anywhere.

Although business partners and friends describe him as “capable” first and foremost, he’s also famous for his larger-than-life personality, pocket-pistol belt buckle, can-do spirit and attention to detail.

“When Bill was on the job, you just never had a Plan B,” Redgrave said. “He was an eminently capable human being.”

Michel’s trademark was flying heavy loads such as tractors, bulldozers, generators and fuel to remote places with short-field takeoffs and landings.

“Just about everything you would need if you were mining out in the middle of rural Alaska,” said Rob Stapleton, a pilot and photographer in Anchorage who knew Michel.

His aviation abilities were virtually unmatched, according to his customers.

“In a sky van, he was an artist. It was beyond a skill level, it was into the realm of being a true artisan in the way he handled that thing,” Redgrave said.

Though Michel specialized in large aircraft like the C-123, his hangar in Delta Junction also housed other airplanes and helicopters.

When Stapleton visited, one plane made a big impression: an experimental aircraft with a big, boxy fuselage and a radial engine in the same category as the Cessna 208 Caravan.

“Only a guy who was interested in carrying really heavy loads and moving stuff would really be interested in this stuff,” he said.

Tim La Porte, pilot and owner of Iliamna Air Taxi (225 miles southwest of Anchorage), said it will be nearly impossible to fill Michel’s shoes.

“He did stuff for the (Tazimina Hydroelectric Project) here that is totally irreplaceable. They were walking these excavators out in the middle of the winter out on cement blocks. They were doing stuff on the ragged edge on the side of a great big waterfall. (The manager) said he had them doing this work for him but he couldn’t even watch them do it.”

Though Michel did jobs other pilots wouldn’t dare, he never put business before safety, his acquaintances said.

He didn’t take reckless risks or carry more than he could handle.

“He was a very attuned and a very meticulous person,” said Fred Hurt, a miner who contracted Michel for a series of trips to Little Squaw Lake in the Arctic last summer. He delivered 18,000-pound loads with items like a front-end loader, Caterpillar and other machinery, Hurt said.

“He was very strict on his procedures,” he said. “He always did flyovers on the runway to make sure there were no bears or moose standing on the airport or crazy people running around on four-wheelers.”

Planes weren’t Michel’s only forte. He also built airstrips for customers such as Alaska Earth Sciences.

“We had some things started with nothing more than a frozen beaver pond in the Arctic down in the middle winter. He sketched out enough of a runway to get a (Cessna) 206 in it with a snowblower and enough equipment,” Redgrave said.

He was meticulous about all equipment, not just planes, Redgrave said. Michel’s high standards and precision made him hard to work with, several acquaintances said.

“You didn’t want to work with Bill. You wanted Bill to be doing your work for you,” Redgrave said. “Half the time, you had to ask yourself who was paying who here.”

Michel was an eccentric Alaska character, friends said.

“His belt buckle had a Derringer, a firing Derringer,” said Steve Borell, executive director of Alaska Miners Association.

He also was described as tremendously courteous and funny.

“No matter how hard he was working, he always had time to pause and tell a story or a quick joke, always at his expense, never picking on anybody,” said Redgrave.

Hurt compared Michel to the Energizer bunny.

“He would come over at 10 or 11 at night getting ready to start another project. I kept asking ‘Bill, when do you ever sleep?’”

When he wasn’t flying freight, he was spending time with his wife, Barbie, and flying his daughter around in his red helicopter, Hurt said.

Michel is greatly missed personally and professionally.

“People are so totally devastated, they don’t have any idea how they’re going to move their fuel, their drills and their products to these weird places,” La Porte said.

And for his passion.

“It’s difficult for me to conceive of an Alaska without Wild Bill going full-throttle, bouncing off runways,” Redgrave said. “It’s gonna be much less fun without Bill.”

http://www.oldwings.nl/content/ak77/n709rr.htm

A friend sent this to me on 2 August and mentioned this aircraft may have gone down just hours before. I looked at the website and forgot about it until I read this thread and then went back and looked at my old emails and recovered this.

Interesting piece of work by aviation enthusiasts. Hope this helps some folks with the memories of the pilots.

Tom Constantine

Back