• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Remove old droop wing wing tips install original round tips

Ray,

I haven't done it before but I don't think it would be that hard to do. I think it is always easier to take things off than to put things on. Here is a link that Steve Pierce made on installing new bows on a covered wing. When I put my bows on, I basically used the same steps. Most of it is just common sense. I think the difficulty of the fabric work will depend on what kind of fabric/finish it currently has. If it is Poly Fiber with Poly Tone paint, it should be easy...IMHO. Hope this helps. I'll give you a call.

Kevin

http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=12450&highlight=tip+bow

Save yourself! Don't do it!

While I am a huge fan of the bowed wing look, there is a lot involved, and may not be worth the effort. You might see if someone else want to trade their bowed tipped wings for square.

On bowed wings, the spar webbing is hollowed out and the top and bottoms is the spars are sqished together. These angles extend ballpark eighteen inches past the last rib. Generally, these 18ish inch extensions are cut flush with the last rib and a square wingtip is mounted.

Your options:
1. Splice the spars (piper has a procedure allowed outside the wing strut.)
2. Get new spars and rebuild wing.
3. Shorten your wing. (not likely viable or legal.)

Good luck!

PS. Maybe consider changing out droop tips for another square set up you like better. Much easier.

Its not that hard have done a few on 18's- 11's & 12's but you do have to check and see how they spread the spar caps when they added the tips But as far as bending them back if they have not been cut shortened i have had no trouble
just have to round up the stock wing parts
Steve

I thought it but didn't mention it. I'm not sure about all the square designs. If your wingtips preserve the spars inside, and didn't cut them, you're in much better shape for a change out. You'll have to open it up and see.

supercub24a said:
Its not that hard have done a few on 18's- 11's & 12's but you do have to check and see how they spread the spar caps when they added the tips But as far as bending them back if they have not been cut shortened i have had no trouble
just have to round up the stock wing parts
Steve

Ditto, not hard at all, check for cut off rear? spar tip like mentioned above, Done 5 or 6

Back