Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piper J4A Cub Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    The weight of the headliner pushing down is probably causing friction with your indicator rivet/washer or whatever you have there. That could be the noise you are hearing. Yes there is a seperate thinner cable for the indicator totally seperate of the trim cable.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim, here are the trim indicator pic's i promised.

Here is a pic of the trim cable assembly. It dead ends at a spring. Not much to it at all.

This is where the trim cable comes out of the stab, there's a little guide tube.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub X
    here are the trim indicator pic's i promised.
    Cub X, check your pm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, as you can see my trim tab system is different than yours. I guess that's how they did it in 1939, or perhaps it's been modified. I wonder what controls the pointer on the trim indicator scale?
    Tim
    [/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    These are questions more than observations as I have never built a plane----yet.

#1 Why not counterbalance in the tail if there a nose heavy issue?

#2 Boatwrights take the lines off a boat and build another using their measurements. What is to preclude someone (boatwright) taking the lines off a J-4 cowl---build a cowl out of oak planking and then use that as a mold for the metal cowl or a plastic cowl---whatever. The boatwright would make allowances in his build for the thickness of the plastic/fibreglass or the metal.---Just a thought. Boatwrights can do absolutely amazing things creating flowing lines etc.
    Marine Corps Aviation since 1966

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="timj4a"]Kevin, as you can see my trim tab system is different than yours. I guess that's how they did it in 1939, or perhaps it's been modified. I wonder what controls the pointer on the trim indicator scale?

Tim

That looks the same as mine does under the elevator. You need to look at the base of the stab, this is where the start of the trim mechanism is. The endless cable turns a pulley, which turns a screw type actuator that pushes/pulls the linkage you have in the pic. You will notice a flexible piece that comes out of the stab and into the elevator and then out the bottom side to the trim tab. The thin trim indicator wire comes off the side of the actuator and as it moves one way or the other it gets longer or shorter. The end in the cockpit dead ends at a spring which keeps tension on it and gives you your reading. There should be an inspection plate under your elevator to inspect the actuator and lubricate.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    More trim shots from the J-4A in Bob Schefter's shop:
    Darrel

Post Thanks / Like
    Cub X my trim is like the pix that Darrel posted, a spool that looks like the wooden one that thread is sold on and a small block and tackle with string that moves the trim indicater.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2
    Cub X my trim is like the pix that Darrel posted, a spool that looks like the wooden one that thread is sold on and a small block and tackle with string that moves the trim indicater.

Glenn
    Glenn

My trim actuator in the elevator looks the same as Darrel's pic's as well, maybe my description isn't the best but that's how it works. Where is the wooden spool?? and did you say string? Mine has wire but the J4E was military spec so maybe some difference there. Also is there a guide tube in your stabilizer for the trim indicator wire to come out of?
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, maybe Darrel can post a pix from the back end, if I remember right the wooden spool is mounted on the pully that the trim cable turns to adjust the trim.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is the area you guys are discussing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Now i see what you guys are talking about, definately a different indicator system than on my E.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, I'm really getting confused. Are there 2 cables that are part of the trim system? One cable that actually moves the trim tab and another separate cable that moves the trim indicator? Is the cable that controls the trim indicator confined only in the fuselage?
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timj4a
    Is the cable that controls the trim indicator confined only in the fuselage?
    Tim
    Not on mine, but it would appear that way on the fuse in the picture. It appears to piggy back on the trim cable pulley. Either way two seperate cables or string in this case.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    As my J4A is a little older than Bob's I may have the same spool and string system that operates the trim indicator. Bob sure does nice work.
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if you felloows know this trick. To study the photos in great detail, find the photo in this discussion in the Photo Gallery. Click once on the very small version of the photo and it will pop up about half the size of your computer screen. Then click once on that photo and it will zoom out to actual size which is usually about a 4 or 5 magnification. Then you can study the details.
    Darrel

Post Thanks / Like
    11 year old thread but here goes...

Any advice on buying a J-4? Things to look for that are red flags per se? Going to look at Friday morning. I already know the LG isn't stock and I haven't seen the 'actual' LB. I have a bunch of LB pics they sent but not seeing any paperwork for the different LG. Seats were changed to Cessna 150's and no paperwork there either.

Per the ad..1940 Piper J-4-A s/n 4-1161 2908 AFTT Continental A-75 s/n 4866768. 926 SMOH. 2900ETT.
    08/01/2015 last annual.ANY advice is sure welcome. One person said to check for window/door corrosion. Lots of questions on my end for the seller but hoping for some advice from those that know more then I do.
    Dan