• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cal's Supercub Build

Last post for now...

Zipped down to Pierces' Seminar at the end of Feb. Had a great time as always. Great to see the regulars and a few new faces. I want to keep going to the seminars, but to work with others helping them on theres. I threatened that last year, but here I'm showing up with my flaps and ailerons to cover. And, I did. Really fun to work on a project, take a break, look at other's work. Have a question? Just go ask someone. Faster answer than even on SC.ORG! Good times, good food and a fun way to learn. Can't wait to fly the Brasos with the guys. My first covering work since the tail a year earlier. Good review, got me in shape for the wings and fuse. I got all the controls into first brush Ecofil.

IMG_1793.JPG

Spent a few days at home getting ready for Jason Gerard to come help cover the fuse. Although I was pleased as punch to have help covering the fuselage, my real alterior motive was to have HIS eyes cover my work before the evidence got covered up. We spent a whole day making notes, comparing what piper did vs me. We redid some of my fuel lines cause they had a "low spot" that might collect water. We ran through my rigging and confirmed it was good. I have to remake my aileron cables because my turnbarrels weren't down to three threads. I saw that coming, I really expected them to move more to take up slack. They moved very little in fact.

Here we are covering fuse.

IMG_18631.JPG

Jason's quite a quick and accurate worker and does a nice job. I told Jason, I was taking credit for anything that didn't look up to pro standards.

IMG_1875.JPG

Jason's an important guy with lot's of demands on him. Also, it's difficult to get our schedules to mesh. But, I was greatful for the three days of hard work we got done. I continue to learn alot.

IMG_19122.JPG

I finished up the inspection panels and ecofilled the bird. Back together on gear. Engine back on temp, and put in the back of the hanger while I work on the covering wings and painting metal parts and flight controls. I'll be back on the fuse shortly. I just finished my first wing, primed all my metal parts. Waiting on some paint to arrive from Stewarts. Desperately trying to figure a good paint scheme. And, trying to keep work, family, schedule, safety, Johnson Creek, friends that don't remember me....etc. balanced.

God Bless my ever patient and beautiful wife!

IMG_19761.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_19122.JPG
    IMG_19122.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_19761.JPG
    IMG_19761.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 145
Hi Dave, DW told me craig's getting close, maybe this week. I ordered a long time ago, but told him no hurry. I'm gonna do my cowl line up n mount next week, along with all the painting on the docket.

Hope you're flying hard out west. Thanks for the comments and the advice all. I could go on like the Oscars about the list of people n friends who've been a big help.

Time to go fly, see ya. ZSPD-VHHH

Wow, you've come a long way since Day 1, Cal! Thanks for posting the pics/story. Looking forward to seeing you in Minnie this summer.

(Nice shout out to your wife...she deserves it!)

Hey Cal,

Wasn't quite sure what you were building when I saw you at Steve Pierce's last year.(a bunch of metal and a wild eyed look) Great progress and congrats on doing so much yourself. I figure if I ever build a cub, I will need to build an apartment for Jason and Steve Pierce. That way I might complete it in my lifetime.

Hope to see you with your new ride at JC.
Gary

Wow! Fantastic progress. Much further than I'd been by now. It looks great and I'll bet it'll be a good performer.

Looking good Cal, I was in the same position a year ago, take your time, I know I was getting impatient but I found out you have to focus and not rush, you'll have a great bird when you are ready for the test hop and years to come!

Cal
Great job, you are going to get done before me. How has your $500 lathe mill worked out? I have found mine
extremely useful during my project. I have also found an excellent company for us amateur machinists that
I highly recommend. It is Shars Tool Company out of illinois. www.shars.com (630)443-6822. Good quality and
low prices. The next time you are going to Huntsville try to stop by.

JM

JIm, thanks for the link to SHAR'S!

Cal, Kickin' some A!!! You go!

Gary D., you are SO right! Jason Gerard and Steve P. are the best. Good guys and knowledgeable a/c mechanics!

So I'm baby sitting one day while my wife fills in at the pharmacy. I work a little on the wing while Sophie sleeps.

Later when she was awake, I have this bright idea to take her out to ribstich since it's warm out.

I put the lace through, look up, BIG smile! Put a lace through, look up, Big smile! Tie off, up to the next, look up, BIG smile!

I didn't get much done for those 45 mins, but I sure had fun with my little helper!

Life is good!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301527963.003961.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301527963.003961.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 140
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301527991.554364.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301527991.554364.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 137
Thanks guys, good links.

Yep, love turning and milling. Made a bunch of parts. I have some door handles to finish soon. Wish it had a longer bed, and threading auto feed, and no backlash, and accurate gauges, and, and, Big $$$$$. Overall I'm really happy. I wouldn't give up my quick change tool post. That made a BIG difference.

Parts Suppliers

Gonna try to post my suppliers to help some others. There is ALOT of time goes into ordering parts and making sure parts stay ahead of workflow.

Aircraft spruce.com. - I'm sure they have entire paychecks from me. 40 invoices and counting... Little bit of everything buildwise

Wicksaircraft.com - same, misc hardware

Wagaero.com - fuel caps

AKBushwheels - of course! Prefered vendor! Wheels, and tailwheel rebuild kit. Other misc parts.

Alaska airframes - all my rudder, stab, and elev ribs. Also the wing and gear mounts, and tower. Great welding.

Atlee Dodge - 3 in extended gear, safety cables and wing lifting eyes.

Dakotacub - jacksrew and yoke, and brake actuators- in a word "sweet!" Assorted wing false spars and tank bay alum parts with joggles that I couldn't or didn't want to make myself.

Univair - the gold standard and you better have the gold. The good - Always friendly, always helpful, always in stock, always correct and prompt same day shipment, and always works. God bless them when you need em. Lifetime struts, stringers, windshield strips among other parts. Note: many exp cub suppliers are WIDEBODY ONLY/mostly. If you prefer a slim narrow body like I do, you might be back to Univair.

Backcountry cubs - some door locks I liked, and the transition for back to fin.

Javroninc.com - Brainerd, mn. Machine shop. I bought an engine mount block and new jackscrew torque tube/liner tube. I was distraught to learn the one I machined/ cut welded with "2" greese zirks ran into the screw tower before max up. So much for my own little improvements. Jay is nice and reasonable.

Pacific coast avionics - fdxlou put me on to these guys. All my radios and gps and instruments/senders, intercom, 406 elt. Can't think of the contact, will update. Dewy sounds close. He gave me a good discount with entire order.

Calumetcub - larry's super nice. Call, don't email. Lead times can be a while waiting on a batch. Order early. I used air cleaner and fuel gauges. Nice.

D & E - used wing spar blanks and tail flying wires. Reasonable. Good, helpful guys

Cubcrafters - I bought a pair of used atlee dodge headers since so many are in a hurry to go headerless. I like headers.

Airtech - good nippondenso compact exp alternator, also had a line on some misc engine parts. I didn't mind getting a fuel pump accessory cover and inter cylinder baffles from the airboat guys.

DW - got the hookup on carbon fiber tank covers. Hard to work with, mean on the phone, pushy, calls all the time! :lol: would use again.8)

great lakes glass - so far good windscreen, some trimming.

Aeroinstock - jesse's great. Helpful. Good prices. Talks engine parts you may not have thought of. My kind o peeps. Got new cylinders and everything but case, crank, and cam. Balanced my moving parts too.

Divco - case machining and yellow tag

Aircraft specialties - crank n cam. Balanced em too.

Selkirk aviation - carbon fiber engine cowl

Stewarts systems - covering materials, glue and paint. Great product, great support. Lots of info on them here.

Catto prop - da prop n bolts n crush plate

Aircraft magneto service - Boeing field, but I think he just moved. Jason G put me on to the guy. He was truly a pleasure to talk to. Overhauled my Bendixes with new harnesses.

Randy Rupert in ND. Cub baffling with rear oil cooler. For phone number, search in sc.org

B&B aircraft in Gardner, KS. I think that's right. I ordered every bolt/nut etc that I thought I'd need x 2 plus general hardware that I might need someday. I met this old couple at Oshkosh, I don't think they do SNF. They were so friendly and affordable. Everything is mail order or fax, no website. I faxed my order, a package arrived in the mail that was Heavy! Along with an invoice for the price. They didn't even charge before they sent it. I think they are cash/check only. I marched inside and sent a check off right away.

That's all I can think of, will update if I think of more.

Last edited:
So I'm baby sitting one day while my wife fills in at the pharmacy. I work a little on the wing while Sophie sleeps.

Later when she was awake, I have this bright idea to take her out to ribstich since it's warm out.

I put the lace through, look up, BIG smile! Put a lace through, look up, Big smile! Tie off, up to the next, look up, BIG smile!

I didn't get much done for those 45 mins, but I sure had fun with my little helper!

Life is good!

nice... my cat thinks rib stitching is all about chasing all those strings as I am tying them......

Gonna try to post my suppliers to help some others. There is ALOT of time goes into ordering parts and making sure parts stay ahead of workflow.

Aircraft spruce.com. - I'm sure they have entire paychecks from me. 40 invoices and counting... Little bit of everything buildwise

Wicksaircraft.com - same, misc hardware

Wagaero.com - fuel caps

AKBushwheels - of course! Prefered vendor! Wheels, and tailwheel rebuild kit. Other misc parts.

Alaska airframes - all my rudder, stab, and elev ribs. Also the wing and gear mounts, and tower. Great welding.

Atlee Dodge - 3 in extended gear, safety cables and wing lifting eyes.

Dakotacub - jacksrew and yoke, and brake actuators- in a word "sweet!" Assorted wing false spars and tank bay alum parts with joggles that I couldn't or didn't want to make myself.

Univair - the gold standard and you better have the gold. The good - Always friendly, always helpful, always in stock, always correct and prompt same day shipment, and always works. God bless them when you need em. Lifetime struts, stringers, windshield strips among other parts. Note: many exp cub suppliers are WIDEBODY ONLY/mostly. If you prefer a slim narrow body like I do, you might be back to Univair.

Backcountry cubs - some door locks I liked, and the transition for back to fin.

Javroninc.com - Brainerd, mn. Machine shop. I bought an engine mount block and new jackscrew torque tube/liner tube. I was distraught to learn the one I machined/ cut welded with "2" greese zirks ran into the screw tower before max up. So much for my own little improvements. Jay is nice and reasonable.

Pacific coast avionics - fdxlou put me on to these guys. All my radios and gps and instruments/senders, intercom, 406 elt. Can't think of the contact, will update. Dewy sounds close. He gave me a good discount with entire order.

Calumetcub - larry's super nice. Call, don't email. Lead times can be a while waiting on a batch. Order early. I used air cleaner and fuel gauges. Nice.

D & E - used wing spar blanks and tail flying wires. Reasonable. Good, helpful guys

Cubcrafters - I bought a pair of used atlee dodge headers since so many are in a hurry to go headerless. I like headers.

Airtech - good nippondenso compact exp alternator, also had a line on some misc engine parts. I didn't mind getting a fuel pump accessory cover and inter cylinder baffles from the airboat guys.

DW - got the hookup on carbon fiber tank covers. Hard to work with, mean on the phone, pushy, calls all the time! :lol: would use again.8)

great lakes glass - so far good windscreen, some trimming.

Aeroinstock - jesse's great. Helpful. Good prices. Talks engine parts you may not have thought of. My kind o peeps. Got new cylinders and everything but case, crank, and cam. Balanced my moving parts too.

Divco - case machining and yellow tag

Aircraft specialties - crank n cam. Balanced em too.

Selkirk aviation - carbon fiber engine cowl

Stewarts systems - covering materials, glue and paint. Great product, great support. Lots of info on them here.

Catto prop - da prop n bolts n crush plate

Aircraft magneto service - Boeing field, but I think he just moved. Jason G put me on to the guy. He was truly a pleasure to talk to. Overhauled my Bendixes with new harnesses.

Randy Rupert in ND. Cub baffling with rear oil cooler. For phone number, search in sc.org

B&B aircraft in Gardner, KS. I think that's right. I ordered every bolt/nut etc that I thought I'd need x 2 plus general hardware that I might need someday. I met this old couple at Oshkosh, I don't think they do SNF. They were so friendly and affordable. Everything is mail order or fax, no website. I faxed my order, a package arrived in the mail that was Heavy! Along with an invoice for the price. They didn't even charge before they sent it. I think they are cash/check only. I marched inside and sent a check off right away.

That's all I can think of, will update if I think of more.

Cal

You are correct....Pacific Coast Avionics....Dewey Conroy. http://www.pca.aero/. 1-800-353-0370 ext 101.

Lou

If you'd spend as much time on the cub as you do on the computer you'e be flying.

DW

4b402e73-47c4-3d4e.jpg

Been in Japan and China for the last week against my will.... I guess ya got a make a living, but my heart is in the paintbooth. Can't ya tell when I get a little time on my hands and post too much?

Last edited:
Cal,

Sounds good.

I got my lathe and Mill in the new hanger, lathe also. Leveled the 'flat', wired in the Mill and started in on parts. How relaxing it is to spend a day making parts worth $250!!!!

The best is when they weigh less than stock!

Maybe I can get the lathe wired in by the end of next week.

Until then, front floor boards! I don't have a little helper though, my little girl, (dog), does not like my hanger, I think she wants to stay away from my plane.

Hitting the paintbooth

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794333.164081.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794333.164081.jpg
    767.8 KB · Views: 101
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794407.279962.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794407.279962.jpg
    672.9 KB · Views: 103
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794461.795513.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794461.795513.jpg
    722.7 KB · Views: 103
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794576.335501.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794576.335501.jpg
    734.4 KB · Views: 110
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794732.245623.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794732.245623.jpg
    759.5 KB · Views: 98
More paintbooth

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794838.012399.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794838.012399.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 104
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794877.816016.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309794877.816016.jpg
    766.3 KB · Views: 93
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309795772.699449.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309795772.699449.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 81
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309795873.390577.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309795873.390577.jpg
    817 KB · Views: 114
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309795956.577270.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309795956.577270.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 93
Paintbooth winding down thank God! Prep, prep, prep...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309796067.307856.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309796067.307856.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 87
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309796131.890081.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309796131.890081.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 80
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309796170.560317.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309796170.560317.jpg
    664.4 KB · Views: 86
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309796218.741380.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309796218.741380.jpg