• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cal's Supercub Build

Iflylower

Memphis, TN
At least a year or more I've put off putting this on the SCUB.org

All the usual reasons.... Not enough Snap-on, No production looking facility, No Bridgeports involved, I'd rather go for a root canal than upload Scub photos and post....etc. But, many of my friends have expressed a desire to see progress, photos, proof of work on project. I always say I'd rather work on project than computer post mine. So, on a sleepless night with a few pics to post - here goes.

First, a note on how it started. It's a fair share of Supercub.orgs and Christian Sturm's fault. I'm not sure which I'm more mad at, but it looked so easy. And cheap, and doable. Actually, they are all my heros, all who've done, and added to, and advised, and lent a hand. Good people here. Really.

If I had it to do over again. I'd buy an old cub with a dented wheel fairing. That way, I'd be able to work and fix on the fairing, while having something to fly in the mean time! Eventually, I'd give up on it cause it didn't fix right and who'd want a cub fairing anyway....? Get's in the way of Bushies. And it don't look right.

Honestly, this is the long, long, long road to build a cub. But, what an experience, and what a time of learning. I like to say, I love some shortcuts, but I've learned to weld. Learned to identify most any part in a cub and how they go together. Learned (still learning) faa 43.13. Learned reading blueprints, autocad, making parts with a grinder/drill press/lathe and milling machine.

It's a great experience. Have I mentioned that I want it done.....? I'm so ready to fly!

Now some pics and narration....

Disclaimer: A few pics can make this look so easy - almost effortless. Lots of time staring, wondering, placing, thinking, re-looking up prints, ordering parts, looking for parts, calling friends, hoping for perfection, ending up a redo.

It all started with looking for a Spraker, asking on SCUB.org if anyone knew how to get one? I ended up a tacked fuse that had been gas welded on the clusters, partly disassembled, no fixtures, no tower, no wing/gear fittings. I was worried that I wouldn't get enough welding. HAHAHA. I was wrong.

I rented a vehicle to drive this a good part across the country back home. Day 1

IMG_00271.jpg

I'm gonna try and post the first pic. Here goes.

That was Oct. 08 Very shortly after my first visit to Jarenson's fall colors tour.

I got the frame home and made a rotary. I took a welding class. Was too scared to get near the frame. Made a table, welding stand, practice pieces. Got bored with my fine welding and tried an interior standoff. Not too bad. Let's try another. All downhill from there.

IMG_0051.jpg

Got some really old wings. Thought I'd use them. Same deal, use the rental vehicle to ride em home. I used everything metal off them.

IMG_00601.jpg

Blasted and powdercoated the fittings. Ended up with new ribs, new spars that I drilled/reamed myself. And built wings. First one with a lot of help at Pierce's seminar. But, I get ahead of myself. That was the second seminar.
Pierce's first seminar - and by the way- what an Ace! Pierces and the rest of the supercub.org clan are first rate! What a great bunch, and lot's of hospitality. I can't wait to go back and enjoy and not be nosed into my project 14 hours a day.

The first seminar I attended, I brought the cub down to put in Steve's jig. It needed some work. My good friend DW welded quite a bit on my frame to get it near standards. We had a little work exchange arrangement. The whole topdeck had some twist and just didn't fit right. Neither did the tail, but I did that myself later.

IMG_0068.jpg

Welding is cool - cause you can right a lot of wrongs.

IMG_00762.jpg

Studying prints, looking at every pic of every frame from supercubproject.com's links, I made up the frame and accessories. Used some of Christians prints, and started making my own on autocad.

IMG_01391.jpg

Making parts can be fun....and cost effective. Have you seen what some companies get for these parts??!! Made float fittings, cabane, tail, standoffs, floor supports, stops etc.

IMG_0145.jpg

Finished and mounted cabane.

IMG_0154.jpg

Rudder going together.

IMG_0247.jpg

Verticals almost finished.

IMG_02511.jpg

Pulling into Northern TEXAS for a wing build at Pierces! Correct me, but wasn't it 80 and shirt-sleaves this time last year? Old set of wings for parts on the trailer.

IMG_06242.jpg

On the wing build, Christian says you can't believe all the drilling and reaming. I was almost to the point of dreaming about drilling.... It's insane. It's all holes these days...

IMG_06532.jpg

Had lots of help on the first wing build. Thanks, Jess, Jason G, Steve P etc. I needed that, it went so much faster than just figuring it out.

IMG_0678.jpg

Second one went much faster except for the darn light. Lot's of tedious stuff there. I actually considered a day only, no lights plane for a while. Hey it's a cub. And, who flies much at night anyway? But, lights are nice to get out of bind if you need them.

IMG_07801.jpg

Lot's of parts to make.....

P1000714.jpg

Learned to cover too! Love that Stewarts! Thanks Jason for the help and guidance. Tail is covered up to eco fil.

IMG_0633.jpg

Disassembling my old flaps and ailerons. This one was nice, most were snotty and rusting/corroding onto the aluminum.

IMG_0993.jpg

I'll have to post some pics of the new ones coming along together quite nicely. Almost done with extended flaps and starting ailerons.

I welded my aluminum door and window. Should be a final fit this week.

IMG_09801.jpg

Fit my firewall/flange and cowl mounts up.

IMG_0933.jpg

Started running all these flying wires as twine to check clearance, pulleys, angles, etc. Made some adjustments.

IMG_0852.jpg

Found the right engine core on barnstormers. Sent everything off. Yellow tagged. Gonna push it a little hard. Should be a good performer 0-320.

Spent a year and a half one week taping up cases/sump/accessories/cylinders to ready for paint.

IMG_0946.jpg

Happy with my color and my painting. That gun worked Jason. Thanks for the advice.

IMG_0968.jpg

Multi-colored brand new cylinders..

IMG_0970.jpg

I'm happy with the build and happy with the classic look. Should have gloss black rocker covers and intakes tomorrow. Yep.

IMG_0986.jpg

Really starting to take shape.

I put the wings and tail and gear on the fuse last week. No rigging, just making sure the big pieces fit. I'm ready to fly.....but the plane ain't. Sure felt good though.

IMG_0919.jpg

Fuel system is done, ready to reassemble. Instruments are all together, now to place into the panel and start wiring. Here is a pic of my lexan panel layout getting cut.

IMG_1013.jpg

Guess you'll just have to wait and see what goes in 'em.

Picture posting sure is getting easier again. I always have to relearn everytime. I think this time I'll remember. :)

Thats it for now. Back to work. 8)

Great story, you’ve inspired me to post more pictures of my project. Nice to see just how far along you are. I hear lots of stories from DW, its great to see the pictures. Are you going to JC this year?

Cal-

Looking good.

As soon as you get your cub done you will find you need a 180.

Best way I have found to do pictures is to use Picasa!

Tim

Great stuff, Cal!

Thanks for sharing!

sj

P.S. BTW, how was the root canal? 8)

Yep, will be at Johnson Creek. I've been back and forth on that one. I sold my taildragger last fall. The cub was supposed to be done by now, but isn't. I will drive up from Boise and camp out. I'm bringing my fly-fishing stuff and hiking equipment.

It bothers me that I don't have a plane to fly out there and I wasn't going to go, but my good non-supercubbing friend reminded me that we fly all the time. You go to these events to hang out with your good friends.

That's what I'm going to do, sans airplane. JC is beyond great.

SJ,

Root canals are bad! But, don't be offended. I always try to appreciate where my comments will end up. I hate uploading pics to facebook too. Don't like to email them..... All this resizing, special folders, hunt, place, post. Just takes time. My feelings go way back to long before scub.org and the first digital cameras and uploading to emails when it was a really neat trick.

I just like it when OTHERS upload so I can see their pics.

Peace.

Cal

Iflylower said:
SJ,

Root canals are bad! But, don't be offended.

HA! Cal, remember I started this website ten years ago. You are going to have to work a lot harder if you want to offend me. :lol:

The next version of the forums will have the ability to add pictures directly to a post, and hopefully it will be much easier for everyone!

and finally to everyone, myself - and lots and lots of others - greatly appreciate the time it takes when ANYONE shares this kind of stuff. Whether in a private message, email, or post, let people know when you like what they are laying down.

We need a "like" button like facebook... or maybe not...

sj

Wow! Way to go Cal! Let me tell you it will pay off and keep going! It is funny how distant that all seems to me now that I have over 60 hours on my bird. It was very tough at times but you WILL be glad and proud you have a brand new Cub in your hangar and not a dusty ol' dented one!

I plan to fly down to Johnson Creek Friday afternoon and stay till Sunday morning. Bringing my 11 year old with me. Hope to meet many of you there!

Finally some pics---Looks SUPER Cal, Glad to hear your going to JC see ya there. :onfire:
DW

Great to see the pictures and progress. I always love to see when guys show this stuff. Good on ya. DAVE

Looks like some good progress. Where'd you take the welding class at, I'd like to take one my self?

Eaa Weekend at Griffin, GA about an hour drive south of ATL.

You'll do steel and aluminum TIG welding.

Some classwork. They discuss all types, including 4130, 1025, weldable aluminum, inconel and stainless. They talk about machines, filler, materials etc.

You spend some classroom, then demo, the try yourself at your own workstation. Rinse, repeat. With more and more time hands on.

Best would be to take a few friends. I did it a bit last minute and had none of the locals could make it - but they all wanted to go. The people I met there were great and fellow aircraft builder/enthusiasts. One gentleman was an aluminum boat builder.

Sponsored by EAA. Lincoln welders. Lincoln also has a week long class at Headquarters near Cleveland. I don't know anymore, but they would.

Costs about $280 and I unreservedly endorse it!

Cal - you are a multi talented guy! Great looking project keep chugging along. Good to see you at JC and had fun wettin a line. Have to do that again.

Been a long time since I updated, but I've worked mostly steadily on the project. I'm on the road with some free time away from the project. Big year, new job at work, with a couple months of training last summer. Had a beautiful little girl on October 1st. Work has kept me very, very busy with a little relief the last two months. It's been a great year! I've been saying three months to finish for the last 12 months. I want so desperately to make JC, but safety and quality first. Getting closer though.

Worked on the boot cowl and finished with a top half and bottom half for easy access underneath the rudder pedals. Here is beginning stages of fabrication.
IMG_1089.JPG

Started flirting with windshield fit and making sure all would go together. I also have to doors fit, welded, a hinge attach figured out and a locking system to plan.

IMG_1095.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1095.JPG
    IMG_1095.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 167
Did some early instrument panel work noted above. Worked hard on layout, fit, usefulness in the cockpit. I added a dynon "wing leveler" in case I need it. I did need an encoder and the Dynon has an internal one, so i justified the cost of the helpful, yet light instrument. I'll still a steam gauge guy, cause there is no interpretation of numbers. A needle in the right spot on your peripheral vision, is much faster than reading a screen and interpreting a number. Sorry, but it's true. I listened to Greg Miller say he wants his GPS high, just under his field of vision with big numbers for hydroplane speed. I figured important as high center with outward and downward cascading importance for the layout.

Three notes:
In the pic, I accidentally switched my plan of com on the left side (free hand). Since been corrected...
I worked hard to make the GPS permanent, yet easily removable to use in another aircraft, and am happy with the install.
Iff your gonna fly light with that last hour of fuel, it's helpful to have a fuel counter to ensure safety. Had it in my last plane, and never want to go without again.
IMG_15601.JPG

Here is a pic of the Cad cut out, after the clear plastic confirmed the layout. And, the GPS mount.

IMG_11682.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_15601.JPG
    IMG_15601.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_11682.JPG
    IMG_11682.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
It was truly a great day to finish the Ailerons and flaps, attach them to the wing, and rivet in those hangers to place. Incidently, I saw Mark Erickson (at Pierce's seminar) have a truly more elegant way to line up the bottom than I did. Where are all these hints on the front end??!! I want a tips/tricks thread! Will expand that later.
IMG_1352.JPG

Started assembling all the toys together and starting to look like a real plane coming together. Another problem with coming together is finding parts that done quite jive. I found a rubbing flap cable that made me sick. Undo, fix.

IMG_1582.JPG

Here my windshield is secured. More work than I thought. Making those bottom strips fit is finicky.

IMG_16431.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1352.JPG
    IMG_1352.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_16431.JPG
    IMG_16431.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 148
Finally got the right fit on a Gas shock and welded in a flange on my window and door. Now, the gas shock holds them open and holds them closed...just have to work on my lock system....

IMG_1719.JPG

Boy this image software is so much easier. Now, the hardest part is resizing my photos on my computer before upload!

Attachments

• IMG_1719.JPG
    IMG_1719.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 179
This was a big day...if only for a day. I tried to start adding accessories while it hung on the plane, got frustrated at the fit and pulled it off. Got a pic, and had a GREAT feeling all day. Gotta finish this sucker!

IMG_1750.JPG

I've since added the mags, alternator, starter, baffling, oil cooler, and oil filter, but too busy now covering to finish this part. Soon.......

Attachments

• IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Back