• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tailwheel Instructional Materials

Reading the replies from all the old farts reminds me of why I need to fight to stay young. I broke of few old man rules while flying today. What a blast. :wink:

SB

Wow! Did this go off the rails in a hurry.

I gotta tell you - there are taildraggers out there that I would not attempt to teach in. I have misgivings about the simple J-4! If I had maybe fifty hours in the thing in the pattern, I would be better at it.

Reading the replies from all the old farts reminds me of why I need to fight to stay young. I broke of few old man rules while flying today. What a blast.

Some day you also will get old.

Thanks for the insult for something we have no control over and I personally will refrain from giving you any advice if you ever ask for any.

Being old means I have flown airplanes it is doubtful you have even seen pictures of.

Do you recall being young and having an old guy tell you you couldn't do something? What did you do? Me? Nothing ever motivated me as much as being told what I couldn't do. There's no question that young guys can learn from old guys. Old guys can learn from young guys, too.

Stewart

Dang... I'm trying to figure out if I am young or old...

sj

Do you recall being young and having an old guy tell you you couldn't do something? What did you do? Me? Nothing ever motivated me as much as being told what I couldn't do. There's no question that young guys can learn from old guys. Old guys can learn from young guys, too.

Stewart

I am sorry I ever got into this discussion, which proves even us older people are prone to making poor decisions.

The nice thing about this issue is I got into it by my own choice and having made a mistake I can rectify it by remembering to not offer any unsolicited advice on this forum in the future.

There you go youth has won over one the old farts here.

No more posting

Chuck,
Just because some folks jump all over your point of view should not mean that lots of others who are reading these posts do not find your comments instructive and informative. I for one, learn something every time you post. Keep it up!
Jim

tailwheel instruction materials

The wide range of opinions and the reasons for those opinions, the respectful give-and-take, are what makes this board important to me. I don't let others do my thinking for me but the wisdom and myths here give me something to measure my prejudices and ignorance.

Chuck,

You been around aviation for how long now????

Surely, you've hardened up a good bit more than to allow a troll like Stewart to run you off..... :lol:

Sorry, Stewart--your point is valid, but there's a difference between BUYING your own airplane and learning the hard way, and CHARGING someone to TEACH them a new skill set which you don't possess yourself.

Learning the hard way (by yourself) is an effective way to learn tailwheel ops, no doubt. It can also be expensive.

But, again, Stewart--when was the last time you gave someone dual instruction in a tailwheel airplane?

Instructing and flying are two very different skill sets. Not unrelated, mind you, but not the same, either.

This is a hot button issue for me and obviously many other instructors. I have seen young instructors who've only logged time in a C-150 and a couple hours in a 172 RG and a float rating in a Super Cub out doing "Type Checkouts" in a C-185 on floats for a new owner. Do you honestly think the C-185 owner is getting his or her money's worth?

I'll grant you that this is a case of buyer beware, but many times the new owner/pilot has no background to make these kinds of decisions either.

Then there's the old proverb: "One who teaches himself has a fool for a student".

MTV

mvivion said:
Instructing and flying are two very different skill sets. Not unrelated, mind you, but not the same, either.
MTV

No doubt. I've got about 600 TW spread between PA-18's, PA-20's and Cessna 180's. I still don't feel that I have the required skill/experience to let a student "get a little out of shape" and then reel it back in. I feel that a good instructor needs to be able to let a student get into just enough trouble; and i'm not there yet.

Also, my father who is a military guy, has said many times emaphatically that he didn't really learn to fly until he got back from Viet Nam and was required to teach primary.

Chuck,

You been around aviation for how long now????

Surely, you've hardened up a good bit more than to allow a troll like Stewart to run you off.....

MV for sure I have been flying and teaching same for many decades and am well aware that a few posters in these internet groups will see any new comer to the forum as a possible threat to their own self image of what they think they are.

Several of my previous students were in the top percentage of the pilot group as they had attained top positions in aviation such as Frances first astronaut and Airbus test pilot, he put up with my being his mentor for two years and we are still friends.

Also one of the Red Bull air race pilots was a former student of mine and we flew together for a long time and are still the best of friends.

Therefore I am fairly secure in the belief that I am a reasonably competent instructor and able to hold my own with anyone who has to revert to using derogatory comments when they run out of anything useful to support their opinion.

It has been five years since I retired from flying for a living, at the time I held a valid unrestricted air display authority under JAR and was flying in the European air show circuit as part of my job.

I still hold a medical valid for my ATPL and hope most of my skills are still within reason.

Chuck E. said:
[ am sorry I ever got into this discussion, which proves even us older people are prone to making poor decisions.

.... to not offer any unsolicited advice on this forum in the future.

Chas, as you well know, "older people" are a valuable resource to other (young or old) people. I've long realized that an expert is someone who's made all the mistakes & REMEMBERS 'em. That takes time.

Please don't let your feelings get hurt & shuffle off to a corner. Your advice/comments are valuable & appreciated. It's the kind of stuff that makes this place such a great resource. SJ could never HIRE so many good advisors, let alone PAY them enough to put up with the abuse. :)
Hav'a deep breath, accept others' opinions, and be confident in your own place.

I'd be willing to bet that StewB respects your old-fart-knowledge but he has some of his own. Remember, opinions are like "south-end body parts" and everybody has one.
I've enjoyed this thread (for the most part) and think that MikeH has "got the point" and now just needs to chew on it.
Thanks to ALL the ol' pharts here. You're a valuable resource to us newb's.

SJ, I think you need to find or build a "pullin' your chain" icon.

pull-chain-loo.jpg

You mean like this? Seems appropriate... 8)

Don't go away Chuck E. I really meant it when I spoke about wanting to experience rolling down the length of the runway tail up. I'll still buy you a coffee too!

Chuck E. said:
I am sorry I ever got into this discussion, which proves even us older people are prone to making poor decisions.

The nice thing about this issue is I got into it by my own choice and having made a mistake I can rectify it by remembering to not offer any unsolicited advice on this forum in the future.

There you go youth has won over one the old farts here.

Chuck E. said:
Hi MikeH:

...the best advice I can give you is to start out learning how to control one on the ground before you even think about the flying part.

First I want you to practice going the full length of the runway with the tail in the air and gradually learn to S turn as you go down the runway, do not get airborne.

When you have done fifty of those including with a X/wind and feel you are in control get back to me and I will give you lesson plan number two.

Chuck Ellsworth

With all the posts, good and bad, above is the one constructive 'HOW TO' that was posted.

Lots of advice, but one lesson plan...

Thank you Chuck, now anyone wanting to teach should follow that, then come back so we know lesson two! :lol:

I, too, am practicing Lesson One diligently and anxiously await Lesson Two and any lessons that follow thereafter.

To pharaphrase an old TV commercial from the long gone 80s, "when Chuck E. speaks, one should listen...."

Lesson two will follow shortly.

I will outline how to make better landings by describing where you look during the final stages of the landings to be better able to judge your height above the landing surface. :)

Chuck E. said:

I will outline how to make better landings by describing where you look during the final stages of the landings to be better able to judge your height above the landing surface. :)

YAY! I look forward to this. I spend a lot of time trying to get people to stop looking over the nose, it is amazing what you can learn out of those side windows....

sj

steve said:
Chuck E. said:

YAY! I look forward to this. I spend a lot of time trying to get people to stop looking over the nose, it is amazing what you can learn out of those side windows....

sj

New Forum Index:

Lesson plan for thoes wanting to Learn, by ChuckE!

I'll second that. S'pecially if you throw some float-flyin tidbits in there too!!

I've been watching this thread. Frankly, I've seen nothing but good advice and honest opinions, and I can't argue against any of those.
My total time is majority tailwheel ... it's those pesky round things under the nose that give me fits. The only instructing I really did was trying to teach two 0-tailwheel hour guys to fly a Twin Beech. It was terrifying and the only time I was ever off the runway in a tailwheel plane. Instructing is not a skill I have or want, and I refused to do anymore for the owner.

I've had good instructors to learn from and needed an instructor a time or two for a BFR or instrument recurrency. I was real selective for learning. Seems most all of those were old guys with a ton of time and experience. I've had a couple sign off instructors with such low hours I found it hard to believe they were instructing primary students and fledgling instrument students. By comparison, they were generally cheaper to hire and their flying showed why. There are good instructors and there are turkeys out there with a wallet full of ratings who haven't mastered the basics.

A memorable example. I took a 2000-plus hour single and multi instructor up in a J-3. He wanted to see a real spin and had never been in one. I briefed him on what to expect, how to do it and how to recover, Then demonstrated a one-turn spin and recovered on heading.

He took the controls, reduced power and raised the nose a tiny bit. Most of you know that a J-3 has to be coaxed into spinning and will pretty much recover just by releasing the stick and rudder. We mushed along for a bit until I convinced him to pull the stick back and put full rudder in on the break. His reaction was to let out a yell, release the stick and grab the windshield support tubes. I had not told him that releasing the controls would recoverer the spin, so I held in full back stick and rudder and told him that yelling and grabbing structural supports is not an approved recovery method. About midway into the third rotation he got back on the controls, over rode my inputs and recovered. We did two more one-turn spins, but he was extremely disconcerted by spinning.

Back at the airport, I showed him tracking the centerline on one wheel, switching back and forth between the mains and mild s-turns with the tail up. It terrified the instructor.
My first instructor pounded those kind of lessons into me, for which I've always been grateful. It has served me well. Flying with an instructor who had never seen such maneuvers, let alone practiced them was ... well I wouldn't send a student to him.

Moral, for me anyway ... if you need to learn a flying skill, find the crusty old guy every time. They are worth the money.
Shortly after soloing in the Luscombe I learned to fly in, I groundlooped the airplane on landing. No damage and stayed on the grass by sheer luck, but when I taxied in, my instructor who saw the whole thing gave me some of the best advice I ever got ... "g#wd %@& you stupid SOB, if you don't want to go someplace like that, don't let the airplane go there in the first place."

I think there was a comment or two about my parental heritage in there, too, but I remembered the important part. It works in airplanes with the tailwheel on the wrong end, too.

Back