Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: It Flies Again - and a Big THANK YOU

Post Thanks / Like

It Flies Again - and a Big THANK YOU

Sorry not a Super Cub, but my Murphy Rebel took to the air again last August after a "little" work took much longer than expected. I would also like to take this opportunity to extend a very big, public and overdue THANK YOU to my dad - Si (Wiflier) and brother Matt (Supercubc37) for all of their work. Without them, I wouldn't have even considered this project. And now for some details:

Those of you that attended New Holstein in 2005 and 2006 may remember my Rebel. It had the White/Green paint scheme with the checker board tail and maybe more memorable was the sound of the Subaru when running or the noise the redrive made when shuttting down ! Well after flying with the Subaru for two years (I bought the airplane from the original builder) I decided it was time to ditch the Sube and install a Lycoming. What we hoped would be a 6-7 month engine swap turned into a full blown rebuild project that took 30 months.

It's a little heavy for a Rebel at 1024 lbs empty but pretty light by Super Cub standards. I was hoping for about 950 lbs (probably unrealistic) so I was a little disappointed but we know where most of the extra weight was accumulated.

Specs:

Empyt Weight - 1024
    Gross - 1650 (although I'm going to increase that to 1800)
    Lycoming 0-320 - 160HP
    Catto 74X52 Prop
    Fuel - 48 Gallons
    PPG Concept Paint (base coat/clear coat)
    Dynon Flightdek D-180
    Garmin 396
    Terra TX760D Com
    Terra TRT250D Transponder
    Oregon Aero Seats
    Third Seat & belts for my daughter
    26" Goodyears (no money left for Airsteaks)
    VG's
    Landing/taxi lights with Wig Wag

Pictures: Click to enlarge

New Holstein 2006

How did we get here ?

Skipping all the fun stuff in between

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny how all those Sub's seem to end up in the garbage can!

I've got one in the hangar right now, that I just mounted to amphibs, with the $30,000 Crossflow 180 in it. Why anyone goes that route when they could do 2 x O-320's for the same money is beyond me, especially when they are going to install one (a Lyco) in the end anyhow!

Customer already knows he'll be changing motors next year... if he doesn't have an inflight engine failure before that...

Did another one a year back.. same deal.. 11 years of playing with the Subaru/Ross Drive and flying in fear (when it would run) and spending most of the time grounded. In the last year the lad has put more hours on the airplane behind his "new" lycoming (Walter Klatt's old fwf), than he did the 11 years previous!!

Great to have a whole family that wants to play airplane and get you back in the air. Keep your dad well and you all have fun!

Wayne

PS... where did that extra 50 lbs come from??? Did you paint over the old paint.. or strip it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne,

I stripped to bare metal and repainted - that's the grunt work I was qualified to do! The stripping part that is. The 26" Goodyears are 28lbs heavier than 800X6's I was planning on installing and even heavier than the Carlisle 800X6's that many Rebels are flying on. I upgraded to Grove wheels/brakes/axles from the light Matcos with 3/4" axles that came with the kit since my brakes just didn't work very well. The 3rd seat and belts added another 15lbs. Dad's Rebel doesn't produce much heat with the crossover exhaust so I installed the crossover system with dual mufflers. The gullwing door mod with gas struts adds a little, 3 position Whelen stobes, dual landing lights, painted interior.....it just all adds up.

The Rebel gained 48 lbs from Subaru to Lycoming and most of it is the tires and seat. Dad's weighed 972 with similar equipment/paint except for the seats and tires so that was our reference point. He's running the metal Sensenich vs. my Catto so we should have picked up about 20lbs there but obviously my airframe was just built a little heavier.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting the photos. If you weren't familiar with the airframe before you probably are now. There can be lots of "mission creep" with projects of that scale. Back in the day we had a hangar neighbor who took apart the elevator assembly on his Cessna 170 to try to identify some binding issues. Five and a half years later the plane was completely refurbished and ready to fly. Hope to see your Rebel one day... It looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="irishfield"]Funny how all those Sub's seem to end up in the garbage can!

I've got one in the hangar right now, that I just mounted to amphibs, with the $30,000 Crossflow 180 in it. Why anyone goes that route when they could do 2 x O-320's for the same money is beyond me, especially when they are going to install one (a Lyco) in the end anyhow!

Customer already knows he'll be changing motors next year... if he doesn't have an inflight engine failure before that...

Did another one a year back.. same deal.. 11 years of playing with the Subaru/Ross Drive and flying in fear (when it would run) and spending most of the time grounded. In the last year the lad has put more hours on the airplane behind his "new" lycoming (Walter Klatt's old fwf), than he did the 11 years previous!!

Great to have a whole family that wants to play airplane and get you back in the air. Keep your dad well and you all have fun!

Wayne

I put 1300+ hrs, totally trouble free from day one, on a small Soob conversion (EA 81) professionally done by Stratus. It ran a prop 300 rpm static faster then a real strong 0-200 and burned 4.3 gph max in cruise. Super smooth and very quiet, used NO oil between changes, started like a car etc etc. All for $6300.00 14 years ago! 30K?? Yeah, go Lycoming. They ain't ALL bad. Sound like the converters did not have it together. Stratus did.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great looking Rebel.

I love the Murphy line of aircraft. Fell in about 5 or 6 years ago when I saw the Moose for the first time. Man that is one great aircraft, looked like you could pack a FULLY equipped camp in there, and a few Moose as well, and still get off on a decent short strip.

But of course, it will never take the place of a cub in my line-up

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congradulations James!!! Glad to hear you got your Rebel back into the air. Will you have it at Oshkosh along side your dad's Rebel this year? As I have stated before, if any of you or your family memebers gets up this way in your Rebels plaese stop in.
    Keith
    PS. Hopefully I'll be finished with my Rebel within the next 20 years!! LOL That is if I don't decide to sell it.