• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

160 hp upgrade

cub_driver

Big Lake AK
I'm considering upgrading my mid time 0-320 wide deck to a 160 hp. I have the hollow shaft crank, whats the deal about the initial crank inspection and the hourly inspection? Plus what octane fuel can I run.

Cub_Driver

You have to comply with A.D. 98-02-08 for crankshaft corrosion, a Fluorescent Penetrant Inspection is done on the crank. If NO cracks or pittting / corrosion is found then it is a 1 time deal & the crank is stamped PID. The Inspection on a crank with corrosion or pitting is every year I believe. If I remember right you can run 93 octane with the 160hp ACCORDING to Petersen who has the Auto gas STC. Alot of people mix 100 LL & auto gas and works out fine.

I have a 160 in my cub and I run straight auto gas quite often. I use 87 octane that I get from the local gas station and it runs just fine. I have never had any problems running car gas nor has anyone that I know.

Back