• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Autopilot?

barorg

Wilson, WY
I know, it's crazy, but I've been toying with the idea of adding an autopilot to my CCK (carbon cub kit). I already have an Dynon Avionics D180, and from their website, it seems I can add two servos ($750 each) and a control head ($500).

Has anyone installed an autopilot on a cub? how are the control cables attached to the servos? and finally, I'm sure I'll get an earful, but... for long x-c crossings, this is a useful thing, ain't it?

FEDEX Lou isthe man you want to talk to I think he has a Dynon in his cub.

Yes, I have a Dynon D-10A and EMS, BUT, you will not be able to get the Dynon auto pilot to fly a cub in any kind of turbulence...It took me 3 different A/P's before I found one that would work. The ONLY A/P that works is a TruTrak ADI Pilot IIG. The G is for gyro....TruTrak uses 2 roll gyros to handle the adverse yaw created in turbulence. Dynon and everyone else only uses one in roll and one in pitch. The pitch mode is not the problem. PM me for details.

Lou

ps...install kit makes it easy.

Comes with a portable toilet and an automatic a$$ wiper... all done while watching a movie on the flip down HD screen... :D

Dynon has promised to get it all working. No word as of yet. I'm going to install the roll servo this summer and start flight testing while they solve there problems. Go to the Dynon chat room. Lots of good info and it will become apparent it's not as easy as one two three.

Jeff

Don't hold your breath. With all due respect to Dynon ( I love their new SkyView) there aren't any other airplanes out there that need such a setup as TruTrak did for the SC. Up until the SC, TruTrak had been able to fly every A/C they set up. I don't think there is any return on investment, but we will see. I wish them well.

Eaton

You are just jealous.

Lou

Back