• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

sutton exhaust system

Brian, i think you linked the thumb nail.

You can see the heat ribbons installed on Brian's existing muffler.
100_8488.JPG

Attachments

• 100_8488.JPG
    100_8488.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 689
Anybody have advice on the best practices for cutting down the drafts? The job seems like trying to heat a screen porch.

One other question -- anyone try reducing the volume of interior space by walling off the extended baggage area with a piece of rigid foam insulation and some PMA duct tape? I have a wide body and my back end is wide-ass open. There is a very large volume of space back there. Seems to be negative air pressure too so in cruise, there is air seeping in through every penetration. I never notice it until it gets cold.

One other question -- anyone try reducing the volume of interior space by walling off the extended baggage area with a piece of rigid foam insulation and some PMA duct tape? I have a wide body and my back end is wide-ass open. There is a very large volume of space back there. Seems to be negative air pressure too so in cruise, there is air seeping in through every penetration. I never notice it until it gets cold.

Wall of the extended baggege hell, I've been trying to figure out how to wall it off right beihind the door in front of the rear seat, or at least right at the back of the rear seat.

A vinyl panel secured with industrial strength Velcro might work. Put the "hooks" on the panel, or you will be snagging a lot of things when not using the panel.

I have a Sutton exhaust on my Smith Cub. It is a very high quality system, and I would buy it again if needed. In addition, the Sutton people are truly great to deal with.

Mike

Well I finally got to do some flight testing. Here are a few differences I noticed.

Heat output. Good. With the heat ribbons installed it puts out better heat than the stock PA-18 style exhaust I had. I think heat output could be boosted with more air pressure through the intake vent in the left side baffling. I don't have the front mounted oil cooler scoop but something similar to increase air flow would give even more heat.

Power. The same. In flat cruise wide open I am getting 2600 RPM (150HP). On climb out 2400 RPM.

Noise. The same only a little deeper sound. I think the noise in the cabin is quieter. It is much smoother as far as the vibrations heard and felt inside the cabin. The old system was causing some pretty strong vibrations somewhere.

Exhaust smell/CO. Gone. There was no ehasust smell or CO indicated on my 2 different CO indicators. This was a problem before. It could have been a number of things. The stock exhaust is short. On most PA-12's the gaps around gear legs let air flow up in the cabin. The metal belly may have been catching some exhaust. There were no cracks found on the old one but maybe there was a leak? The sutton gets the exhaust gas away from the belly and the side of the plane.

EGT/CHT There was a difference in EGT. 100F less than the old exhaust. CHT also ran slightly lower than the other system. The EGT/CHT is only on one cylinder.

Weight loss. With the new lightweight starter and Sutton it was around 11 LBS.

Simpicity was a big selling point for me on this system. Inpection or just working on anything on the engine is much easier now.

Instalation was easy and straight forward. The service from PPI was great. They were very helpful. I would definitely put this system on again. I now have a few buddies thinking it might be OK for their cubs too.:)

I've been running the Sutton system 2800 hours on my pa 18 the heat out of the heat hose is high volume and very hot ,though the muffler is not next to the firewall so you lose this radiant heat ,bad int the winter ,though awesome in the summer , I've run the carb heat outlet to the cabin heat on accident and it seems the flow is much less . overall i love the system

Can anyone confirm if the Sutton Exhaust will fit on a Stoddard Short Mount O320? I’ve got a new B&C Starter and Alt and plan to have a rear oil cooler.

The entire system is forward of the accessory case, so the mount shouldn't matter.

Thanks, I spoke with them today. They confirmed it should work fine, so I placed an order for it. I suppose I was more concerned about the lower cowling clearance given the steep angle that a short requires.

I talked ton Dawley last week, they sold out to awi of Minnesota, so heads up on that. More jobs lost in aviation. I really liked them. Tim

I talked ton Dawley last week, they sold out to awi of Minnesota, so heads up on that. More jobs lost in aviation. I really liked them. Tim

So they sold out and shut down or they sold out and are gonna be building exhaust under AWI's name? Always enjoyed visiting with Larry, the owner and Kurt was always great to work with.

No more in wi, Kurt did not seem too happy, a lot of the staff did not want to move to Minnesota.

I received my exhaust on Friday. The box was labeled with Dawley’s labeling and came from Burlington, WI. I did not know they sold out! This exhaust is amazing BTW. Much simpler and more efficient compared to what’s coming off the airplane!

Hmmm; I'm ready to order a Sutton Exhaust for my exp. '14 and I have a few questions for them; where do I order it from?
Marty57

Thanks, that's where I have been looking for info. I guess the posts above are were a bit confusing to me about the company being sold? I'll contact propilot.

Marty57

Sutton holds the STC but the contract out the fabrication...that’s what’s being discussed above. The exhaust comes from Dawley or now possibly AWI but the STC paperwork still comes from Sutton.

Sutton holds the STC, and it is sold thru the web site above. They contract out building the exhaust. Used to be thru Dawley, I suppose no Aerospace welding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sutton holds the STC, and it is sold thru the web site above. They contract out building the exhaust. Used to be thru Dawley, I suppose no Aerospace welding.

Do they have anything available for the exp. market when the STC is not needed? I sent them an email but haven't heard back.
Thanks
Marty57

Do they have anything available for the exp. market when the STC is not needed? I sent them an email but haven't heard back.
Thanks
Marty57

Don't know about anything for experimental market, but it is a modified AA5A exhaust for the O-320 and AA5B for the O-360. Not sure what was modified, but maybe if you find an old Grumman Tiger or Cheetah that was scrapped out and salvage the exhaust you could figure it out.

You guys need to contact Randy Rubbert about his exhaust. It looks like the Sutton bu sure fits better in an 0360. They also make them for the 0320. Stc, or experimental, or you can get a field approval if the stc doesn’t cover it. I literally run myself out of the cab with the heat. It is extremely well built. I sold my Sutton, it just never fit right in the supercub 0360. Had to build dimples all over after it rubbed holes in the bottom cowl. Great service and great guys.

I sent an email to https://www.propilotsinc.com/exhaust-conversion/ today. The message I got back is they are not manufacturing the exhaust but they could possibly overhaul an exhaust I have. The email came back from Tim Rousseau; email was trousseau@awi-ami.com So, anyone know for sure who is making the exhaust and is it currently available? Thanks

Marty57

Back