• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Our Cub Project

Looks great Jay. Make sure you look me up if you come to EAA or New Holstein. Maybe I'll even have mine flying by then. Fired up the avionics this weekend and it's looking good.

Front seat is done, back is at the shop. We are lucky, we have an upholster guy on the field that does excellent work.

Today we weighed the cub and it came in as follows. These are the arms as measured on our aircraft when it was level on the Right door lower tube. The tail was weighed on the tail wheel.

Not too shabby. We are using 70 as the arm for our extended baggage, but we would most likely never have 50lbs at 70", it would be distributed forward from there. We were really shooting for a number that started with 10**, and we have a plan to get there, but for now, up is more important. 8)

As Equipped:
Cub
Flaps to Fuselage,
+1" Cord Tail Feathers
3" extended Gear
Double Pucks
26 Goodyears
No Interior
No Instrument Panel
Lightweight minimum VFR gauges
Radio
Intercom
Carbon Tips
LED navs

O360
Catto 8444
carbon Nose
TI firewall
.020" Exhaust
Small Alternator
Small Starter

Attachments

• WB.jpg
    WB.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
After compiling what must be a TON of paper, we are getting our inspection on Monday August 11th.

After compiling what must be a TON of paper, we are getting our inspection on Monday August 11th.
Best of luck and you deserve it for having one of the great build threads on this site and also for the generous help you always give! Have fun.

IT FLIES! Today we had our inspection. Charlie Kohler from Spruce Creek in Florida drove up and after looking NX517TS over, asking a few tough questions and going over the small mound of paperwork that we have amassed, issued a Special Airworthiness Certificate and set us free to explore the world, well a 25 mile radius slice of the world, but just for 40 short hours. I won the coin toss and got the first flight, three hops down the runway with dad in chase on the Honda C70. WOW, what performer! Tomorrow the flight testing continues, a few more hops down the runway then some pattern work.

I would like to thank everyone that has helped or inspired us during this project, Christian, Bill, Randy, DW, Marty, Steve P, Mike, SJ, but mostly, thanks Dad.

I will post some videos tomorrow.

Thanks guys, see you at NH next year!

Great! It's such a nice feeling to be onboard the flying chair you built!

She looks awesome! Bravo

Just went back and reread this entire thread. Awesome job. You and your dad are obviously very talented. Great job keeping it light. I'll bet it will be a ball to fly. I really appreciate all the pictures and posts. I look forward to seeing it in person.

Great job, ya'll.

Bill

Great job and I have been following your project all along. Very nice to see it completed.

Mike

Congrats Guys! Sure looks good. Let me know how you like the gear design. I hope to join you soon.

Marty57

Amazing! Welcome to the club! ;) You have a lot to be proud of. Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Thank you for all the nice comments. Here is an update from the first three flights.

Yesterday, I flew the cub again, 2nd flight, and had to hold forward stick the entire flight over 60mph. Not exactly what I wanted to find during the first time around the pattern. So on the ground the usual suspects were check. Trim Yoke, installed correctly, Stabs below the yoke, Check. So I looked at where the stabs were, all the way hard against the upper longerons. "Yep, Full down trim". :roll: This was the mistake. But, before we caught that, I called Steve P., we got into the incidence discussion, I felt sick to my stomach, visions of razor blades, MEK and my fuselage danced in my head. I talked to him about the bungee and what Seaworthy had experienced, etc. Dad and I decided to remove the bungee and see what happens. Well during this process, we had to move the electric trim to access some of the bolts and clamps that hold the bungee cable, I noticed that the trim would slip going up (or nose down). Tightened the coupler, problem solved. Then it hit me. With the stab against the upper longerons, that is FULL NOSE UP, no wonder I had to hold stick forward above 60. I have been looking at this airplane for 4 years... Oh well, now it flies hands off all around the pattern, and with the 0 degree engine mount, just a small blip of nose down is needed with the application of full flaps. I did feel a little buffet in the tail, caught it on the Gopro. I will post that later.

Humbly,

Jay

Very nice job. Seeing this reminds me to keep going and never give up. Congratulations on your build.

Dennis

Super congrats!! I hope you have some riverbars or fields around to burn up your 40 hours. ;). It helps the time go faster.

There are always little gremlins and fine tuning the rigging in the first couple hours. I remember odd oil readings the first couple hours that were fixed with a different oil pressure retainer regulator. You'll work through it all.

Anyway, always things to work out at first and that's why the special zone. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing it at some flyins! Good to see another experimental SC in the south.

Do you have the flap gaps seals on? Shake (buffet) happens without them with flaps deployed.

Buggs, Yes we have the flap gap seals. Exact clones of what you have, thanks for figuring that out and posting such great pics.

The vibration is very slight, probably fine from everything that I have read. I will keep a Gopro pointed at the tail for a few more flights and see what is really going to back there and what makes it happen.

What VG's did you use? Did they come with a pattern for installation?

Buggs, Yes we have the flap gap seals. Exact clones of what you have, thanks for figuring that out and posting such great pics.

The vibration is very slight, probably fine from everything that I have read. I will keep a Gopro pointed at the tail for a few more flights and see what is really going to back there and what makes it happen.

What VG's did you use? Did they come with a pattern for installation?

I have the Landshorter Lexan VG's. http://www.landshorter.com/ NO problems, with them. Great price for us experimentals!

Looks like you have big flaps. I get a little shake in a 180 hp squared Dakota Cub winged Super Cub I fly sometimes. Been over everything in the tail. It isn't bad so we have accepted it with the longer flaps.

I have square wing, extended flaps, in-boarded and I get an oscillation, not a "Shake", but a slight pumping, maybe 3 a second, 1/8" deflection, in the stick with full flaps, 60*. with one notch retracted, it goes away. (same post from the other thread on extending flaps inboard)

Tim, I have thought for a long time if the Fiesler Storch style with the long shock strut going from the main wheel to the wing spar attach would have been a good solution the problem with bungee,s? Also one would have much more gear travel for the rough spots. Just a thought.

Back