Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Top X-Brace

Post Thanks / Like

Top X-Brace

Seems to me I read somewhere that there was a letter floating around from the FAA that allowed folks to weld in a X-Brace without an STC because it was a safety improvement. Does this sound familiar? Does anyone have a copy of this letter? I can't find an STC for the PA-12 and can't get it done on a field approval in Canada.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    JD

Post Thanks / Like
    Call Atlee Dodge - Talk to Steve; 907-344-1755. Atlee believes in this mod. Used to sell you a piece of tubing and the STC was free. Times may have changed.

RD

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the cross brace installation require it to be done, technically, at the time of wing rebuilding? I am assuming that would be the case.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WindOnHisNose
    Does the cross brace installation require it to be done, technically, at the time of wing rebuilding? I am assuming that would be the case.

Randy
    It doesn't really affect the wings, so no need to do it during wing rebuild. A good welder can install the x brace tube by removing the skylight and fuselage wing root covers and protecting the surrounding surfaces from heat and sparks. It would probably be a good idea to drain and purge the fuel tanks as well before firing up the TIG. Mine was done this way with no damage - of course the welder was really good and had done the installation several other times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68Papa
    Call Atlee Dodge - Talk to Steve; 907-344-1755. Atlee believes in this mod. Used to sell you a piece of tubing and the STC was free. Times may have changed.

RD
    I did speak with Steve and they only have STC for PA-18
    I know everyone does it and now is the best time because the wings are off and the fuselage is bare. Now is the best time to do it but with all the other mods that are being done with STC, my AME is afraid some zealous rep from Transport Canada will know this is not something original and ask for paperwork and possibly ground the plane...

StewartB
    Is Univair producing new -12 airframes yet? Do their frames incorporate the X brace like Dakota Airframes' used to do? It's worth a phone call.

SB

Post Thanks / Like
    Univair has been building -12 frames, not sure how people sign off the mods to the frames when the fuse is built by Univair with all the mods installed. Unfortunately Atlee's STC for the Top deck "X" doesn't include the PA12. They were Field Approving them & Shops like Dan's & Charlie Center have Multiple Field Aprrovals issued to their Repair Station / Shop. I would check with Charlie Center, Crosswind STOL is his business name & he really knows the PA12. I know Canada doesn't accept Field Approvals