• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cracked Spinner

willirw

Alaska
I was giving the cub a good going over prior to my up coming annual and discover some small cracks starting to develop around a couple of the screw holes in the spinner. They don't extend far but I know this is an item that needs attention. My question is has anyone had any experiencing TIG welding these. If so, does the repair seem to last. I removed the spinner for now.

Thanks, Randy

I have welded on many spinners and backings plates and have seen these welds last many hours. If it is going to crack again I think has to do with how much vibration it will be subjected to. Are you running any type of fiber/plastic washers under your screw heads? Have you had your prop dynamically balanced?

Don thanks for the reply. Yes I have plastic washers under the screw heads and the prop has been dynamically balanced. The spinner was used when I purchased it so the fatigue probably started long ago. The cracks are barely visible and are on only two of the screw holes I think I'll go ahead and TIG the cracks up and just keep an eye on it. Would there be any benefit to stop drilling the cracks before I weld them?

Thanks Randy

Back