• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Upper Peninsula Michigan Tour

KingCub

NW Indiana
Later this summer my son-in -law will be returning from deployment. He and I are looking forward to a week of backcountry flying around the UP. The trip will include camping and hopefully even some fishing. Mostly time to decompress and enjoy life.

The cub is on 31's, not floats.

I'm unfamiliar with grass fields and recreational options in this region. Could some of you who have this region as your backyard offer some suggestions?

Anyone want to come along?

Hey, I'm in the U.P....I live In Iron River. I am on floats in the summer with one plane....the other I keep at my 1200' private strip w/50x60 hanger in Ontonagon. Your welcome to land and camp out there if you like. Look at google maps for Mountain view Rd. in Ontonagon and then go to the satelite view to see the runway. Another place you should make sure not to miss is Pictured rocks near Munising....Hanley field is a nice little grass strip nearby and Grand Marais Michigan is another neat place. If you want to discuss other places of interest, you can call me @ 906-379-0344. Below are pictures of my hangar in Ontonagon, Picture Rocks on Lake Superior near Munising....some beautiful scenery.
100_0633.jpg

[/img]
100_1185.jpg

000_0036.jpg
000_0039.jpg

I grew up in Michigan (Ann Arbor), and I have always wanted to go there for the same - camping and flying. What a beautiful place!

Da UP is always beautiful to fly in.... I will second the Munising area.. I also enjoy landing at Houghton/Hancock (CMX) and going exploring... It sure is fun!!

Matt

Lansing, Mi

Your welcome to stop by my place in BFA. Boyne Falls Mi. There is good fly fishing and off airport spots near by. I would also like to go to the UP. Pictured rocks and Copper Harbor are great. Check out Stamps beach. I was also thinking of hosting a fall color tour in Northern Lower MI. Pm if your interested with your dates.

Your welcome to stop by my place in BFA. Boyne Falls Mi. There is good fly fishing and off airport spots near by. I would also like to go to the UP. Pictured rocks and Copper Harbor are great. Check out Stamps beach. I was also thinking of hosting a fall color tour in Northern Lower MI. Pm if your interested with your dates.

I spent two years in the UP during the late 50's while I was in the air force (Kinross and KI Sawyer). Great country during the summer.......winter :roll: . A few years ago I landed my Cherokee on the Kinross (Kinchloe) base and fulfilled one of my dreams.

MikeB

I plan on flying through MI and the UP enroute to Two Harbors MN from Ohio . Next Week. Any suggestions for fuel stops along the route. Thanks Rick. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ironwood, Michigan at the western tip of the UP is a good place for gas and a break. We have stayed there while visiting the old home towns. Nice folks there. Hancock airport in the copper country also is good.
Bruce

Rick
We'll probably be at KSJX that weekend (Beaver Island). They have a couple nice grass fields, camping alowed, and fuel. Give me a pm if you decide to stop by and you can stay at the cabin.

Best airports to visit are: St. Ignas right on the north side of the Macinac Bridge, Manistique, Escanaba, Iron Mountain (IMT)Nice GA stop (courtesy car), Across the border in Wisconsin...Land o' Lakes (LNL) right in town...really nice GA airport(mogas and 100LL on site), Eagle River,...another really nice GA stop...courtesy car:)

Great trip idea. Does anyone know where to get 100 LL on floats when flying through the U.P. from the bridge west to Copper Harbor?

One of you should check out an airstrip at the mouth of the Two Hearted River. I think it is near or at the campground that is located there. 20 years ago it was not mowed and unkept. I landed there with a 210 and did a two day canoe trip. I think it is about here 46.698052,-85.422628. I always remember that place fondly when you get discussing U.P. strips. Anybody been there?

Also a strip at Sidnaw along M28 you can walk over to a little eatery there.

Try the two hearted river they have a nice strip next to lake superior and very freindly folks. Great fishing also!

reat trip idea. Does anyone know where to get 100 LL on floats when flying through the U.P. from the bridge west to Copper Harbor?
That will be tough, Iron Mountain....but thats not really on your route. CMX in Houghton will deliver down to the canal with the truck if you call them....when are you coming?....I travel around the UP extensively with my job at the power company....I could help depending on your schedule.

I was looking at Google Earth and can't identify a landing strip where the Two Hearted River emptys into Lake Superior. Am I just missing it or is it no longer there?
Can you land on the Lake Superior beach?

Hello - I know this is a really old thread, but wanted to see if anyone had info on the status of Hanley Field in Munising. I have not been able to reach the airport manager and the local forest ranger told me the airport is closed and been sold?

Any information or contacts appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

Hello - I know this is a really old thread, but wanted to see if anyone had info on the status of Hanley Field in Munising. I have not been able to reach the airport manager and the local forest ranger told me the airport is closed and been sold?

Any information or contacts appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

I haven’t been there yet this year but, as far as I know, Hanley field is alive and well. There was a deal in the works where the county was buying or trading something for it from the Forest Service. I got this from the airport manager a few months ago.

It’s really a nice strip. Super long and wide. Kinda far from town though. Going to probably need a bike or someone to pick you up. There used to be a building there but I am told that it is now closed or completely gone.

I plan to be there mid July.

Leave a message for the airport manager. He has always eventually called me back.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the Intel! Looks like county transit will pick up and deliver to the city!

ALTRAN Public Transit

Dial-A-Ride 387-4845 –
Transportation Hours
Monday 7:00AM - 6:00 PM
Saturday 7:00AM - 6:00PM
Friday & Saturday Evenings until 2:00 AM

Call 202-0245 (weekend evenings only) after 6:00 PM -Dispatching Hours
Monday - Friday 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM Saturday 9:00 AM - Noon

Hanley Field to Munising - Fare $2.50 one way

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the Intel! Looks like county transit will pick up and deliver to the city!

ALTRAN Public Transit

Dial-A-Ride 387-4845 –
Transportation Hours
Monday 7:00AM - 6:00 PM
Saturday 7:00AM - 6:00PM
Friday & Saturday Evenings until 2:00 AM

Call 202-0245 (weekend evenings only) after 6:00 PM -Dispatching Hours
Monday - Friday 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM Saturday 9:00 AM - Noon

Hanley Field to Munising - Fare $2.50 one way

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks Pete! This will come in handy.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Just got off the phone with Dick, the airport manager at Hanley. The field is in great shape and was just rolled. Taxiway and parking area are a bit lumpy due to birds digging up grubs. Runway lights are currently inop. The shack was torn down so no bathroom available.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Thanks - Dick just called me, too - great guy! Same field report, said camping was fine, and there were tiedowns available.

He also had good advice that this weekend was Pictured Rocks Days, and that most of the UP would be there for free boat rides. I think we will try another weekend.

Dick confirmed the Altran van will pick us up at the airport and take us anywhere we want to go. We'll be up later in the summer!

Pete

Pete

You’ll enjoy Hanley, very nice springboard to the pictured rocks. Hit the Teo Hearted and Grand Marais both nearby as well.

I Kayaked the Two Hearted River five years ago. The location was a short walk from where the river dumps into Superior. A bad fire took out the forrest about 7 years ago there. I would have wanted a tail dragger to land there in when I saw it. It was not mowed. I would call Rainbow Lodge and ask how the airport looks. They can see it out there front window.

Of "top 10 Trout Streams" it may be the least fished. Gods country.

https://generalaviationnews.com/2018/07/02/raf-opens-new-airstrip-in-michigans-up/

Just got off the phone with Dick, the airport manager at Hanley. The field is in great shape and was just rolled. Taxiway and parking area are a bit lumpy due to birds digging up grubs. Runway lights are currently inop. The shack was torn down so no bathroom available.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Great to hear thank you for sharing this! I look forward to hear how your trip went and I am myself planning a similar trip to Hanley!

Back