• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Learners Permit

Seabrook, TX
When I got my Private in 1974 the examiner told me it was just a "learners permit". I thought that was good advice, so I have asked for help learning about aviation since then. I just got my "Inspection Authorization" Monday. I asked this question over on the ShortWingPipers.org site and got some good advise. Any sage advice would be welcome from this group too.

clayton harper said:
When I got my Private in 1974 the examiner told me it was just a "learners permit". I thought that was good advice, so I have asked for help learning about aviation since then. I just got my "Inspection Authorization" Monday. I asked this question over on the ShortWingPipers.org site and got some good advise. Any sage advice would be welcome from this group too.

Make your customers safe but not broke :lol:

Glenn

Congratulations on getting your IA Clayton! I think that's fantastic news. I'm not in much of a position to offer much in the way of advice. Like you, I'm learning as I go.

I do celebrate your new level of certification and professional qualification - it's a big deal.

Here's one gem:

The two most dangerous things in aviation are a pilot with a toolbox and a mechanic with a pilot's license.

I'm not sure I believe that, but it always makes me laugh.

LJDRVR said:
Here's one gem:

The two most dangerous things in aviation are a pilot with a toolbox and a mechanic with a pilot's license.

No, it's two Captains in the cockpit and a flight attendant with a chipped tooth.

As a 35 plus year Flight Instructor, I hate that saying "learners permit" why..........because from the first flight lesson you ever take, to the last flight you ever make.......all flights should all be learning experiences..............their are always challenges to be met and improvments to be made.
Brian

Brian,
As a 35+ years flight instructor I am with you on this. To me it is a trite and somewhat insulting parting comment. Very different than teaching all along that flying (and life) is an ungoing learning experience, and makeing sure that the new pilot understands he must continue to expand his aviation skills and knowledge if he is to be safe and have a viable flying life.
Chuck Shaw

I would say the best advice for a new IA is............

1. Be careful. There are some cheapskate owners out there that will attempt to pressure you into signing off unairworthy junk. Don't sign anything off that you wouldn't take your family flying in.

2. There are also alot of good owners who do believe in operating a good airworthy plane. Most will thank you for being thorough.

3. I always tell prospective annual customers to expect several hours of AD research the first time I annual an airplane. I would say about 40-50% of the time you will find old AD's that were never done. Most IA's rely on the last annnual saying "All ad's complied with". Last year I did an annual on a tripacer that a guy had recently acquired and found 7 AD's that were never complied with (from late 50's to mid 70's). After the first annual then the next year it will go alot smoother because you know for yourself that all of the AD work has been done.

4. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask. Other mechanics as well as the feds. Most FAA inspectors will gladly help you. (it gives them something else to do rather than just investigating accidents and doing paperwork).

Good luck and be safe

cubdriver2 said:
clayton harper said:

Make your customers safe but not broke :lol:

Glenn

I stand by my first quote.

Glenn

Sorry if I was unclear on contacting the FAA. :oops:

What I meant was if you have questions on things like field approvals, questions on regulations etc...

I totally agree with TJ. you don't need to get the feds involved in everyday things.

My point was, sometimes things get missed for years at annual.

You owe it to your customer to do a complete inspection on the aircraft.

Also by signing off the Annual you are saying that you have checked all applicable AD's. So you should actually check them to make sure they have been done. Don't rely on past annual signatures.

[/u][/b]

Back