• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Progress Report

radio

Grant, I ran that Radio in my 206 and it worked fine ( had a noise so I switched the 250s and the noise didn't go away. Did it quite with the engine running? Do you have a over voltage thing going on? Not sure if the Garmins have a internal fuse but most of the Kings do so you might check that.

Dave

It's the radio for sure. We had it on the bench this morning and it is as dead as a doornail. There maybe a fuse and I can check to see if its something simple. It worked for about 45 seconds to 1 minute on the 3rd engine run and then it just shut off. It worked on the bench a month ago too. I'll get it worked out....

Did you leave it on at shut down or start up? If so voltage spike took out a transister or similar...

That's exactly what I did but it survived for a bit. I know it was on after i started the engine and it was on when I started taxiing. At some point while taxiing it went black.

I'm Back!

Plane flew great - More nervousnes than anything. I about pranged it on the first landing. then went around and landed on the grass.

I'm planning on flying it alot this weekend and work out the bugs. It is a little wing low on one side and about a half a ball out. There is no tab on the rudder now. I have it and I'll put it on tomorrow. I just wanted to see if I needed it first. So here is the question. Where does one start when it comes to adusting the rigging for hands off? I can see where one would affect the other....

The radio will be sent back to Garmin ($550 UGH!) but it will be pretty much as good as new.

Is it normal for one tank to fed first on a both/off setup?

rigging

Great going Grant,, I would fly it with equal fuel and hold rudder to center ball first to see if that picks the wing up. Then you can install the tab and or take a little wash out of the low wing. Sorry to hear about the radio, What do they think is wrong with it?

Dave

they dont know whats wrong with it. Just send $550 and they'll fix it.

I put the tab on and have it pretty centered. Next is the aileron adjustment then washout if necessary.

Both of the ailerons should be rigged slightly down when the plane is on the ground....I did not do that and now they both are up about 1/2 inch in flight.

The plane flies pretty straight right off the bat. I'm real happy with it.

BTW I never knew a little drop or two of oil could spread so far down the fuselage.....

Grant said:
. Where does one start when it comes to adusting the rigging for hands off? I can see where one would affect the other....

?

Put plane in level flight attitude front to back on ground and place level side to side about at struts on bottom of wing leading edge, make both sides read same... Now go look at ball it should be centered, if not rotate gauge till it is.... Now the ball 'should' read right in flight....

In flight get ball centered then see what twist wing needs, you don't care what it does if ball is not in center....useless info then...

And sometimes depending onnhow crooked plane is you may need to rotate gauge to where plane behaves better at stall/landing without dropping a wing..... Since in addition to flying hands off you also want it to have a nice personality too........

Grant said:

Is it normal for one tank to fed first on a both/off setup?

You might have a low spot in cross vent above your head, allowing a fuel lock and not allowing both tanks to be same pre sure till there is a big difference in them.....

Also do a fuel flow check if you can to see that they both flow equal, and you don't have a crushed finger screen, or other problem in one line....

Re: radio

ag-pilot said:
Do you have a over voltage thing going on?

Dave

Yeah I would definatley be checking buss voltage running, especially with that alternator set up, if it's the one that grounds the field wire to go gangbusters.......

If it is they make a new style regulator with over voltage built in..... But ....that does no good if field wire itself gets grounded......

Grant already admitted to having the radio on during start up and shut down... you can voltage protect up the ying yang.. but they still won't take that abuse at times..

irishfield said:
Grant already admitted to having the radio on during start up and shut down... you can voltage protect up the ying yang.. but they still won't take that abuse at times..

Yes, but it sounded more like hi volt issue..... Startup would kill it sooner at start I would think, but hivolts/ AC will kill them at runup. (don't ask how I know this......$$$$$$)

Oh check for AC, bad diode too....(bouncing amp needle)

irishfield said:

warning.. thread fork....

so this makes me think more of why I also dislike having a starter solenoid connected after the master solenoid(new cub style).... cranking will pull buss volt lower during cranking, then let it fly back up.....

instead of how a piper(and most others) originally were wired(with fuse setup) with starter solenoid connected direct to battery... less buss fluctuation..... hmmmmm

would be interesting to measure some buss voltages cranking with mags off both ways.... bet there is a big difference especially with a old worn master solenoid big contacts....

Back