• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

SQ2 Questions/recomendations

d_kandle

FRIEND
Idaho
I am about to purchase an SQ2 super cub kit (http://supercub.com/). I have built an all metal plane (CH-701) and normally fly a Cessna 206 or the 701. I have very little tail-wheel time but several thousand hours in the 206, much of it in the back country here in Idaho.
I have a couple of questions before I purchase this SQ2.

1) The aircraft appears to be a very good choice, but are there downsides that I may not be seeing due to my lack of experience with Super Cubs?

2) I've heard both sides of the argument about which is easier to build; metal or fabric. I've been advised that if I need to rib-stitch the wings then I should consider another kit that allows blind rivets to be used on the wing covering. Can I choose either method of attaching the covering to the ribs?

3) Are the differences between the SQ2 and a more standard Cub all benefits, or are there disadvantages to any of the differences (especially the leading edge slats, which I do have on my 701)?

Thanks, Doug

Do not fear rib stitching. It's much simpler than you think and you're going to have to do it on the tail feathers anyway. I would never even think to consider choosing a different type of kit based on whether or not I had to rib stitch the wings. Fabric has many advantages over metal when it comes to dealing with mistakes. You can easily fix just about anything. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you're done how simple it is.

Jason

I have one and there are no downsides. Use the rib stitch like you are supposed to on Cubs. You only have to stitch the wings and tail and that can be done in a day.
The slats are the best advantage of all mods. It will save your butt at slow speed in a tight turn in a narrow canyon. Take care. Palhal

You must have some metal experience if you built a 701. Fabric is way easier than metal in my opinion. I am currently rebuilding a set of helio wings. Fabric is like arts and crafts, dont let it discourage you. If you have some building skills you might look at picking up a exp. fuselage kit from some company and a set of d&E wings you will save yourself a bunch of money and you can build to your likings, nothing against the sq2 it is a good plane. I believe you can buy the slats alone if you want then you can take them off and have a clean wing when you want. The D&E kits are very flexable to build in any changes you want and priced right and the weight will be the same.

d_kandle said:
I've been advised that if I need to rib-stitch the wings then I should consider another kit .........
Thanks, Doug

recommend you find better advice source!

rib stitching is easy if you follow the Stits book, you will be done in a day or two...

stitching

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the sq2 wings are rivited ?

I have done wing both ways and stitched the wings myself its not that hard

Gerry

wings

You can stitch the ribs or rivit them it's ypur choice. I think the stitching
looks better. When you order the kit just tell them how you want to
attach the fabric. Wayne

find a copy of the Beech rib stitch and use it. way simpler than the modified seine and just as strong. (I think Beech used it on the Staggerwing)

Where are you in Idaho Doug? We have 5 Smith/Turbine/Backcountry Super Cubs being built in Twin Falls. I just finished the fabric on mine. You can rivet or ribstitch the wings. I prefer rib stitching with flat cord. I got down to 16 min a wing rib using the Stitts knot so it goes quickly. PM me if you are in the area and you can take a look at the projects. Don

Back