• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Belly pod for a wide body

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
Has anyone any advice on fitting a belly pod to a wide body?
Should I weld on new mounting tabs further inboard for it?
Should I build support for the outer rim or is the fabric going to give it enough suport.
Or Should I just look for an extra wide Pod?
Do they even exist?

I think we just made longer straps.... all the angles are the same... was a few years ago... but I think it was a non-issue...

they just sit against the fabric anyway....

Keep your fingers crossed i heard a pod for a standard cub will be available soon which rides on the longreons not the fabric all the way back. Good news is It will not be certified. Larger doors for moose quarters and a fair bit lighter. Front end was designed for better airflow in slipstream. I will see if i can dig up some autocad drawings of the pod. They do exist. It should fit a widebody a little better. Also a underseat storage which will not crack out when overloaded and someone sitting in the rear seat.

gander said:
... Front end was designed for better airflow in slipstream. ......

I always wondered why they bothered curving the pod in front being its already in dirty air mostly from gear/cabane vee, will there be any real gain???

I could see it being worth the effort on a spring gear plane.....

I've heard a lot of guys say they fly a little faster with the pod then without, I can't tell any differance with mine, I know it doesn't slow it down any.

DW

Not much effort involved if it is being done on a computer ran threw a cad generated wind tunnel and cnc cut. any improvement is worth the effort.

I picked up 5 mph cruise when I installed my firman pod.

John Pex
72A
Chugiak
AK

belly pod

What about the Airglas LT32? I'm getting ready to install one on my 160 Cub. No speed loss? Not much weight added? Box with tank inside doesn't weight much anyways.

I need to install pod tabs on a new fuselage. I dont have the pod yet. Looking for a reference distance from the rear gear fitting.

Thanks!

I need to install pod tabs on a new fuselage. I dont have the pod yet. Looking for a reference distance from the rear gear fitting.

Thanks!

Heya Grant - Did you order a pod yet? If you are widebody and experimental, there is a gentleman local to me that builds both fiberglass as well as CF pods off a plug he made. Fuel cells, etc available and I think he has one fiberglass pod available right now. PM me if you want his contact info.

-dave

Call Gabe at Airframes Ak he usually has that stuff memorized, if not he has a fuselage sitting next to him he can measure. DENNY

39.75" From rear gear fitting to the tab. It's basically backed up against the cluster at that location. Lots of wiggle room though, the strap doesn't have to be perfectly located.

39.75" From rear gear fitting to the tab. It's basically backed up against the cluster at that location. Lots of wiggle room though, the strap doesn't have to be perfectly located.

Thanks Crash! Just ordered a slug of stuff from Court...(Including the tabs)

Back