• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

AR-15 hand loads

Nathan K. Hammond

Danville, KY DVK
I've been out of hand loading for about 10 years.
Getting back into it again, shooting a stock Colt Match Target out to 300 yards max.

Anybody have a favorite, accurate load?

nkh

Nathan:

I don't carry the 'recipe' with me but can get it when I'm back at home.

What's the rifling twist on your Colt? I load for my Bushmaster and younger son's Tikka (1:9) and for my older son's Remington 700 (1:12) so I have a couple loads.

Son 1 shoots 52 grain bullets; Son 2 & I tend toward heavier ones - 60-68 grains.

AR and other magazine-fed rifles are limited to fairly light bullets, lest they get too long to fit in the mag. You can single-load longer ones, I guess.

My sons and I shoot prairie rats with these rifles, often shooting 300+ yards. We take longer shots - out to 500 - but those are shoot & hope most of the time. Twenty-two caliber bullets are a bit small for those ranges and targets that small.

Jon B.

I'm shooting CMP Service Rifle out to 600; at 300 my rifle likes a Sierra 69gr Matchking with Varget; 24 gr. I think (don't hold me to that, look it up). I like that load because it's pretty accurate and if you want to push the range a little farther you can. It's accurate enough out of my Rock River with a Wilson 1:8 twist.

It depends on what you are doing.
For targets, across the course(200,300, and 600yds), a 1:9 twist will only shoot well with 75g or less bullets. A 1:8 is marginal for heavier bullets such as the 80g Sierra matchkings. I use the 77g SMK for 200 and 300yds, and the 80g Amax for 600yds. This is with a 1:7 twist. The barrel is a Kreiger which is tighter that a Wilson.
For the Kreiger bbl., I use 23.2g of H4895 with a Russian(Wolf) small rifle primer and LC case with the 77g. Velocity of 2780fps. For the 80g Amax, I use 23.8g of H4895, Wolf small rifle primer, LC case, and seated 0.015" off of the lands. The 77SMK will jump quite a distance with no problem so it is seated to 2.250(mag lenght).
For the Wilson barrel(1:7), I use 24.2g of H4895 with a 77g SMK, Wolf sr primer, and LC case(seated to 2.250). The 80g Amax uses 24.5g of H4895(seated 0.015 off the lands).
I have another Wilson barrel with a 1:9 that I use for close range. It uses 24.8g of H4895 with a 69g SMK and is a tack driver.
You are just going to have to put in some trigger time to determine what your barrel likes. What I say here will not be the same for you. Good luck.

I also use the Varget. The problem is finding it. It took me 8 months to find my last supply. Lake City brass, CCI#41 primer, 24.3 Varget, 69gr Sierra Match, seated to mag length.

Thanks Guys!

John, it's a 16", 1:9 twist.

Charles; I shoot for fun and the skill of it, competition shooting never drew my fancy. The range only goes to 300yrd and where we hunt coyotes, it's rare to get a shot that long. It's usually around 250 or less; so the need for long range isn't necessary yet. One day I hope to stretch it out and shoot prairie rats.

I understand the need for trigger time, but it's nice to have a direction in mind. My 22-250 was a lazar with 55gr Combined Tech Ballistic Tips and 24.5gr of Varget. But it took a year and 600rds before trying that recipe.

Thanks again.

nkh

748 and BLC(2) are also great do-all powders for the 5.56/.223.
Does your rifle have the 5.56 NATO chamber or .223? Not sure if you are aware but the .223 chamber is a tighter chamber and a person can have pressure issues with firing 5.56 in the tighter .223. Just in case you didn't already know. Opps, I guess since it is an AR-15 maybe this doesn't apply.
WW

Reloading....

I've been reloading for decades. I like Varget for my M14's and M1's. I have also used it for My AR's. Varget is available around here, and I commonly stock up on it.
I'm building a 6.5x55 target rifle based on a 96 Mauser action/Douglas barrel right now. I plan to try it on the 1000 yard range. With the new VLD bullets, even at modest velocities, its still supersonic at 1000 yards.
Should prove an interesting project.

Mike

Back