• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fish Alaska?

Scouter

SPONSOR
Exeter Maine
My dad worked and built, his whole life, the farm that I now own in Maine. He never took much time off to fish, which is a passion in his life now. He has retired in the winter to FL, bought a boat and fishes every day he can.
Somehow in 80s he found time to buy and fly a Super Cub, eventually sat in the back and showed me how to do it as well. A dream he has is to fly fish in Alaska. He will never spend his own money to make it happen, so my plan is to work harder this summer and send he and my mom on my wallet. I am looking for advice for a nice lodge somewhere in AK to send him for a week this coming summer. He is mainly a flyfisher. Since he used to fly cubs, I would prefer him to fly the big jet to ANC, and be picked up by floatplane and taken to the lodge. My mom is not a fishergirl, she will be content with a rocking chair, a book and a glass of wine, but the lodge cant be too rustic.
There is a lot of info on the web, but a little local knowledge is the best advice. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Jim,,
I asked my Grandpa one day what he would have liked to have done but never got the chance... He said go to Alaska and fish,,, but he never thought he had the time or money...and now that he had retired his health would not let him go.. he never got that chance....

Send him while he is still able....

World class fly fishing

Scouter-
If you want world-class fly fishing utilizing the #1 and #2 rivers in the State of Alaska for quantity of rainbow per mile, Google the following lodges inside the 1.6 million acre Wood-Tikchik State Park, the largest park in the US.
Bear Claw Lodge
Aleknagik Island Lodge
Tikchik Narrows Lodge
Reel Wilderness Adventures
Bristol Bay Lodge
Mission Lodge
Royal Coachman Lodge
Fishing Bear Lodge
I am the flying law enforcement Ranger for the park and I personally vouch for the professionalism and the above lodges- Good luck

Good day Scouter

My hat is off to you big time for helping your parents come up to the Northland!

Boy talk about tapping into an enormously rich source of information by posting your question here, I bet you get "a million replies".

Scouter, allow me to recommend the very friendly and personable place called http://www.alaskasriverwildlodge.com/ in Port Alsworth, owned and operated by Seth and Jeelan Kroenke. I think your parents would be very happy with this choice!

Fish Alaska

Scouter

I have had the pleasure of fishing at this lodge for the last 5 years. It is probably the best fly fishing lodge in Alaska. It is not inexpensive but is definately worth it. www.fishasl.com/ Brian Kraft is the lodge owner. I could not reccomend anyplace higher and am looking forward to my trip out there again. Check it out and if you can make the numbers work give them a call. It is definately money well spent. If you have any questions send me a PM.

Dale

Thanks everyone, this is just what I wanted. I am going to search around the internet evenings for awhile with some of these names. This is why this site is so valuable. Thanks again!

Jim

Wood Tikchik

I would second Wood Tikchik area. The rainbows are a little smaller than other parts (Illiamna) but there are a bazillion fish. We could fish for 12 different species. The weather is better in June and there is dry fly fishing and the salmon start in July through September. The weather gets worse and the fishing gets better the latter you go. Most of the lodges are located on lakes and then have out camps for the salmon fishing. Another benefit of most of these lodges is that you have some fishing even if the weather is not flyable. While not crowded as the Kenai area you will not be by yourself fishing but everyone catches fish so no big deal. I know it adds more but I would go for a fly out every day lodge. Bring a camera too, other than the Nushagak River it is a really pretty place. The fishing is so good it will turn your mom into a "fishergirl." Let me know if you have any questions on this area. Another thing is you should match the lodge with the type of fishing your dad likes to do. It is mostly flyfishing for the non-salmon, some lodges will almost insist on it. The lodge I used to work at is now owned by a communications company up here but it was right at the top of the Agulawok river in the perfect spot. Man what a job that was for three summers.

SteveE said:
Jim,,
I asked my Grandpa one day what he would have liked to have done but never got the chance... He said go to Alaska and fish,,, but he never thought he had the time or money...and now that he had retired his health would not let him go.. he never got that chance....

Send him while he is still able....

Steve,

You have a seat in my plane any time. In July I can only average about 30 to 40 rainbows an evening. No real huge fish but I get some good uns once in awhile.

Don
trilk2009.jpg

Not all lodges are the same.
I suggest that you look for a veriety of fish for him to go after.

lodges that have the ability to take a boat some days and fly others may offer some great fishing.

There are other methods of fishing also, that do not entail a lodge. There are some very good guides that base in a town, and head out every day to different fishing.

Quite often the Iliamna areas will have five or six planes from different lodges sitting next to each other, day after day.

Research what you want as much as price.

Good Luck!

Torch's pic reminded me of one similar that I have.
fish.jpg

I fish out'a a modified pontoon boat that I haul behind the quad. Cool having the lake right between your knees, and I seldom even haft'a touch the fish to remove the hook.
This is a tiny unnamed lake that is teeming with 2-3# fishies.

Back