• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

VGs ... specifically, the flight characteristics

mvivion said:
Are they STC'd? Or does that matter?
Nope, that added expense is not what I need (part of the reason I'm not certified).

I wouldn't even THINK of plastic VGs on an airplane that operates in winter my own self.

Here's what they say about "cheap plastic"...
Q: Won't that "cheap plastic" not last long?

A: Our plastic is General Electric UV stabilized Lexan, the same material used in skylights in desert homes. It definitely isn't cheap and is very similar to materials already used in many aircraft windshields. If left out in the baking sun for decades you would probably notice some aging (just like paint) and if that's your plan then we suggest you paint your VG's to match your aircraft.

So, for $100 I think I'll try 'em. If they don't work out, THEN I can spend the $1500.

Logan,

THEN, if they don't work out, you will have the very devil of a time removing the things, without damaging that precious fabric and finish you're applying.

The thing I'd be concerned with isn't UV, it's how brittle that stuff is at cold temps. And, when I say cold temps, I'm talking about -10 or so. Drag a fuel hose across one when its cold, and that'd be the test.

They may be fine, but my point is they may also be false economy. Time will tell.

MTV

Tell me where I can get the plastic ones. I want a set. Do they offer a supercub wing template and glue?

NimpoCub said:
mvivion said:
Are they STC'd? Or does that matter?
Nope, that added expense is not what I need (part of the reason I'm not certified).

I wouldn't even THINK of plastic VGs on an airplane that operates in winter my own self.

Here's what they say about "cheap plastic"...
Q: Won't that "cheap plastic" not last long?

A: Our plastic is General Electric UV stabilized Lexan, the same material used in skylights in desert homes. It definitely isn't cheap and is very similar to materials already used in many aircraft windshields. If left out in the baking sun for decades you would probably notice some aging (just like paint) and if that's your plan then we suggest you paint your VG's to match your aircraft.

So, for $100 I think I'll try 'em. If they don't work out, THEN I can spend the $1500.

$695 from Micro Aero

Cheap Ass :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

$395 for experimentals.

I wouldn't get too wound up about plastics in the cold. There's a lot of plastic on my snowgos and it stands up to -40* temps just fine. The rider should fare so well! :D

SB

behindpropellers said:
[Cheap Ass :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
:)
Yep, sometimes it's OK to be a cheapass. Many (most) of the things I bought/installed has a STC, etc, but some things aren't as crucial to flight as they are to my wallet. :)

I don't drag my fuel hose across the top of my wings. Brush/branches, maybe. I promise to let'cha know if I do wipe any off, or have a prob.

$95 for 100 of 'em. I'll order two sets so I have enough for the Horiz.stab too, plus lots of spares. Thanks for all the input, both pos/neg. I did ask for it. I do feel confident enough to "risk" the $200.
Go & read the propaganda on the landshorter site Tim posted above.

I have the plastic ones - these www.stolspeed.com. These are a modified copy of Joa Harrisons, landsorter.com ones. Joa is a great guys, as is JG for stolspeed.

They go on with a 3M acrylic adhesive (on a backing tape), so they are removable if you just pull hard, or push over to the side. But I have never had one come off in flight ops.

I have broken a couple refueling. They give you replacements and you just replace it in about 10seconds.

I have not operated a lot in freezing temps, but some. No issues. Besids, if you break one, just replace it!

StewartB said:
$395 for experimentals. SB

Hmmm, that doesn't sound as spendy as the others. I have a call in to them now, waiting to hear back. If so, I'll buy them.
THAT should make some of you feel better 'eh? :)

- some time later -
Just got the callback. She said the $395 is without instructions or templates, or STC. $200 more for the instructions!!

Back to Plan A.

emflys said:
I have the plastic ones - these www.stolspeed.com.

Wow, what an interesting shopping trip this is!! Thanks EM!

$165 for 200 of 'em, and they're rounded, and flexible! Both good ideas (I think)
Strong & easily remove/replaceable, come with instr. & templates & adhesive.
I'm ordering (from ACS) now. :) :)

I'm a cheap ass also but I can't really afford to fly but I some how do by buying things as cheap as possible, a few years back I priced Micro VGs from them directlly and if you tell them your a aviation based business they nock off 200 bucks so they were around 495.00 instead of 695.00. so print up a bill head on your laptop and save $200.00.

Glenn

Lie? really

So for $200 you tell a lie to get a better deal? Really? I don't think these are some giant multinational corporations that you are screwing. Probably a small business that is trying to offer a discount to other small businesses so they can try to improve someone's airplane.

I guess if I had to lie to afford to fly I would probably just give it up.

I have the micro VGs. I really like them.I tend to not trust ANY airspeed indicator. Most all my landings my total attention is OUTSIDE. Full flaps and a "pinch" of power the last glance at airspeed is 40 or less as that is the bottom reading. With a little more throttle I can drag it in with the nose WAY high--but should have extended gear and those big FAT tires to touch down like that. :-? :D

Back