• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

windy outside..palmer ak?

A little windy at Lake Hood the last couple days too... Anyone know who is in Space 102?

METAR PALH 150753Z 36026G46KT 6SM BLSN CLR M09/M19 A2934 RMK AO2 PK WND

Lake Hood Winds Dec 2010.jpg

Attachments

• Lake Hood Winds Dec 2010.jpg
    Lake Hood Winds Dec 2010.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 239
http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/pubfcst.php?fcst=NOAK48PAFC

NOAK48 PAFC 160139
PNSAFC

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ANCHORAGE AK
445 PM AKST WED DEC 15 2010

...WIND AND DAMAGE REPORTS FROM THE MATANUSKA VALLEY...

STRONG WINDS AFFECTED MUCH OF THE MATANUSKA VALLEY LATE YESTERDAY AND
TODAY. DAMAGE REPORTS RECEIVED SO FAR INCLUDE A SEMI-TRAILER TRUCK
BLOWN OFF THE ROAD NEAR WASILLA LAKE...SEVERAL SIGNS BLOWN DOWN OR
TORN OFF BUILDINGS IN WASILLA...AND SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES
THROUGHOUT THE VALLEY. HIGH WINDS HAVE ALSO BEEN REPORTED TO HAVE
DAMAGED AREA HOME ROOFS AND BLOWN COVERS OFF AIRPLANES AT THE PALMER
AIRPORT.

BELOW ARE THE HIGHEST REPORTED WIND GUSTS FROM THIS EVENT AS OF
4:30PM TODAY. WITH THE WINDS GRADUALLY SUBSIDING THROUGHOUT THE
VALLEY TONIGHT...THESE NUMBERS WILL LIKELY STAND AS THE HIGHEST
RECORDED WINDS FROM THE EVENT.

LOCATION WIND GUST TIME
-------------------------- ---------- --------
BETWEEN WASILLA AND PALMER 87 MPH 6:00AM
PALMER AIRPORT 81 MPH 10:53AM
WASILLA (PUBLIC REPORT) 78 MPH 12:35AM
WASILLA AIRPORT 63 MPH 4:56AM

KS

Was Blowing 80 plus at Palmer and yet 8 miles away My place (AK66) not even a whisp

Crazy weather, am ready for spring!

Be Safe Guys.........

FEB

This Day in Alaska History

1979 A dozen aircraft were destroyed as 80 mph winds blasted through the Palmer Airport and the Mat-Su Valley.

Something I know something about, wind turbines that is. The good ones have automatic furling: basically the wind pressure on the tail, which is offset hinged behind the (preferred) 3 blade rotor, turns the rotor out of the wind. Pretty fool proof. These good units cost more, last longer, so cheaper in the long run. The big blows are what people remember, what is more important is the annual average when looking at wind turbine production of electricity. The BEST info out there on them and solar is at wwwhomepower.com

Here is what I found at Palmer Airport today. A sad day for a fellow cubber.

2010_windstorm_007.jpg

2010_windstorm_029.jpg

2010_windstorm_014.jpg

needed to look this post up tonight, to remind someone why atlee hurricane tie downs are a necessity.... note that the lift strut is still tied down to the ground, but ripped from the wing.... also has killed people in flight, taking off after tie down damage has occurred... alway look up your lift struts and make sure wing to strut brackets are in line with lift strut and not bent....

http://www.fadodge.com/aircraft-tiedowns/

needed to look this post up tonight, to remind someone why atlee hurricane tie downs are a necessity.... note that the lift strut is still tied down to the ground, but ripped from the wing.... also has killed people in flight, taking off after tie down damage has occurred... alway look up your lift struts and make sure wing to strut brackets are in line with lift strut and not bent....

http://www.fadodge.com/aircraft-tiedowns/
Good advice Mike! There are still so many guys that have no idea how weak that piece between the wing strut and spar really is[emoji33] . Everyone still thinks if you have strong enough
ropes your all set.......wrong!
Remember being up at Atlees shop one time and heard him explaining all of the merits of installing his "hurricane straps". He said the connection between the strut n spar was really a "design flaw" because of the distance between the bolts being to great (long) for the strength of the attachment brackets. He had done testing of factory brackets trying to produce the twisting moment produced when a Cub is subjected to
50/60 knot winds ( gusts) at less than desired angles to the airplane. What he found was the bracket will always fail from the corner at the first bolt hole into the hole center with a tare, then as the next gust hits it it , it takes even less force to finish the tare from the center out to the other side corner.
Now the wing has severed from the fuselarge...........exactly as in this photo. By installing a strap over the spar not only have you illuminated this
"Fuse" or bracket with a known design flaw. Because of the leverages involved by the simply fact you are holding much further outboard because of the position of Atlees straps ( the plane will not dance around as much, when secured 3/4 of
the way out the spar vs 1/2 way out)
EVERTHING about the straps is better
and I have NEVER heard of a wing coming off with Atlees straps if tied correctly. There is no other mod that can protect you in high wind like those straps; with the exception of good spoilers[emoji6]

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Remember being up at Atlees shop one time and heard him explaining all of the merits of installing his "hurricane straps". He said the connection between the strut n spar was really a "design flaw" because of the distance between the bolts being to great (long) for the strength of the attachment brackets. He had done testing of factory brackets trying to produce the twisting moment produced when a Cub is subjected to
50/60 knot winds ( gusts) at less than desired angles to the airplane. What he found was the bracket will always fail from the corner at the first bolt hole into the hole center with a tare, then as the next gust hits it it , it takes even less force to finish the tare from the center out to the other side corner.
Earle, This needs some discussion. Which direction was Atlee applying the load? Sideways applied at Piper's tie down location as though the plane was tied down pulling on the rope, or in a straight line in the direction of the flight loads?
If you are talking about the tie down direction, I'll agree. If in the flight load direction, I do not.

I was told they fail by getting hammered as gusts load the tie down and then subside,. With any slack in the line the gust lifts the wing to the limit of the rope and it bangs on the fitting. With big squishy tires our ropes are never immune to hammering the tie down attach. Bolt holes wallow out and fittings bend. That's why Atlee makes strut attach reinforcements. Hurricane ties take the strut out of play completely. The hurricane tie bracket goes over the top of the strut so the bolts aren't taking any shock. It's an elegant solution to tying down and far better than using stock rings.

I was told they fail by getting hammered as gusts load the tie down and then subside,. With any slack in the line the gust lifts the wing to the limit of the rope and it bangs on the fitting.
Absolutely correct. The fittings are designed for flight loads not tie down side loads.

Absolutely correct. The fittings are designed for flight loads not tie down side loads.
Pete,
He was only refering to side loads from gusts while in a tied position.
There was a well know wreck to alot
of us guiding down on the peninsula in the 70's when a big blow came thru,
Involving a Cub that was a F&G airplane, at their Lava Ck camp.The pilot was aware of the bracket weakness flaw. After the storm passed he visually inspected his closely and found a tare in one backet
into the first spar hole. The outside was still holding. He made the desicion to try to fly it up to King Salmon........... Which was a poor one.
Shortly into the flight they encountered some turbulence and the wing came off that side. The cub rolled over and into a small stream inverted. I cant remember his name. If I remember correctly the rear seat passenger got out and was able to get
him out before he drowned.........
I bought an 0290D2 engine from Don Johnson that came off his Cub down
in a big blow that was tied with new 1/2" nylon ropes correctly. The ropes
held but the brackets tore out. The guides told that after the wing came off, what is left just beat itself into pieces. There many dozens of cases
of bracket failures recorded in Alaska.
Atlee also told me if I ever got caught
in a bad blow to simply chop a hole down thru your leading edge so you can tie rope right around the spars outboard of the struts........ I know this works as I had to do it one time down on the peninsula and saved my Cub. 4 miles away a friend lost his same nite!
Yep. Bracket failure. Neither of us had
a lick of insurance.
Before the "Hurricane Straps". Atlee offered his "lift strut reinforcement" for the Piper U Channel bracket. Part# 3192. And I know there are hundreds of Cubs that simply installed those years ago and I cant say, I have EVER
heard of a bracket failure, with his 3192 reinforcement either?????
He certainly knew his stuff[emoji6]

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back